How do I get to the 400hp range

Menes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
thank you all for your responses, I have now used the amazing search button and have looked over MattD's and other threads to really research what i want to do. As far as racing I mostly just do track days with the accessional drift events. With my budget now ill probably go toward the 350hp route as that should do me just fine along with some serious weight reduction and some smaller wheels with better tires(im on 20's now, wanna go back down to 18's) but after I'm done with school and have some spare money to through around I plan to go big and do a shelby drivetrain swap to make some serious power.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I put down 341hp and 310 tq with thumper cams,mac lts,steeda pulleys,c&l racer intake, frpp intake, gt500 TB, 3.73's and 3k converter with 93 octane tune

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
I put down 341hp and 310 tq with thumper cams,mac lts,steeda pulleys,c&l racer intake, frpp intake, gt500 TB, 3.73's and 3k converter with 93 octane tune

Those are nice numbers, surprised not more torque but very nice.

the purists would hate you, but I think it sounds for a fun car. is there any way you could make that street legal at all?

It all depends on where you live and how you register it. Theres a guy on this site with a LS3, but I only know of a few other S197s with chevy ls motors. I am thinking about doing a termi swap myself in the far off future instead.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
A LSx motor would get you a n/a 400whp easily with just bolt ons and its a much smaller package but with equivalent weight (450 lbs) to the modular motor. I know .. ford forum and all but... The smaller 5.3l vortec can be purchased for under $1000, LS1 (5.7l) is about $1000, LS2 (6.0l) is about $2000. These motors a are all fairly interchangeable when it comes to heads, cam, plenum etc and even the smaller vortec motors can make good power. Only downside would be you would have to run custom gauges and a standalone ecu. You would probably want to run the t56 transmission (ls1 transmission). Off the cuff I'd guess the swap would be about $2k to get the engine the way you want, $500 for transmission, another $3k for mounts, cross member, ecu, gauges, misc stuff. Discount that by $1500 if you sell your stock 4.6 and tr3650 transmission.

ugh, digusting....:mad2:

keith88lx

forum member
Reaction score
Menes, curious what your plan is with the Cali emissions.

Im kind of in the same boat as you. Want to maximize my NA potential without touching crank.

If your looking to go all out in maximizing NA hp, you would def want long tubes + cams + heads

im looking into getting BBR stage 1s.

I want to know also.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score

damn, you dont even have heads and your basically right at my power level. i need to get an intake manifold...

06whipple

FI with low boost is cheap enough...stock longblock will handle 450 to the tires no problem. I beat the hell out of mine and it is still ticking...zero issues...except for the drivetrain parts that can't handle the power

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
There was a car at Stricly Performance that had FRPP Hotrod cams, valve springs, hand ported heads, LTs, FRpp Intake manifold, CAI, and a custom tune through a 5r55s and put down 408 rwhp. Everyone at the shop was amazed so say the least

This is the same dyno that dynoed my 10lb whipple through my automatic trans at 432rwhp.

slowstang06

forum member
Reaction score

sounds about right I had 342/322 with comparable mods (nsr cam, mac lts, o/r prochamber, jlt cai, cmdp, gt500 tb, steeda udp, 4.10s, 93 tune, eH2O pump)

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sounds about right I had 342/322 with comparable mods (nsr cam, mac lts, o/r prochamber, jlt cai, cmdp, gt500 tb, steeda udp, 4.10s, 93 tune, eH2O pump)

Wish I had the tq you had! I hate how mine is so low.

bthornton10

forum member
Reaction score
Wish I had the tq you had! I hate how mine is so low.

It's your FRPP intake manifold that kills your torque. I had the FRPP intake manifold and swapped it for delete plates and lost a little HP but gained torque.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's your FRPP intake manifold that kills your torque. I had the FRPP intake manifold and swapped it for delete plates and lost a little HP but gained torque.

It can't be that much of a difference.

bthornton10

forum member
Reaction score
I made 346 whp and 301 torque and then redyno'd the car with delete plates and made 338whp and 323torque same setup just with out the FRPP intake manifold.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Since we are comparing combos for NA power, my current setup produced 347 HP and 321 ft-lbs of torque. The tune wasn't designed for the cams or headers, so I guess there may still be power to be had with a better tune.

Power Mods:
C&L racer cold air intake
CMCV butterfly valve delete plates
Comp Cams Stage II NSR cams 127200
Steeda underdrive pullies
Kooks custom stainless steel headers with high flow cats and X pipe
93 octane BAMA tune that was made before the cams were installed
SLP Loudmouth axle back exhaust
4.10 ring & pinion (I only mention this because many people claim that the 4.10 gears cause the car to dyno with less power than the stock 3.31 or stock 3.55 gears)

Other than a tune and a larger throttle body, there isn't much left to do to add NA power that doesn't involve opening up the engine. What's the most I'd get form a tune and larger throttle body? Maybe 10 HP?

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
Other than a tune and a larger throttle body, there isn't much left to do to add NA power that doesn't involve opening up the engine. What's the most I'd get form a tune and larger throttle body? Maybe 10 HP?

If you haven't tuned for those cams, I suspect you'd get more than just 10hp. Maybe not though?

You could also go with a considerably more aggressive cam.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
If you haven't tuned for those cams, I suspect you'd get more than just 10hp. Maybe not though?

i would say much more than 10whp.

slowstang06

forum member
Reaction score

The NSR stage 2's are mild but they really are good for about 35 wheel (my tuner tested it out on mine, I actually have the original dyno sheet somewhere)

I'm seeing a common theme, I'd say the average power is around 345rwhp/320rwtq, before doing heads or major motor work and before there are negative effects on horsepower or torque. To the OP, thats what, ~400 crank horsepower? (Using the math we all have come to love)

Also, I went from 343rwhp to 342 by going from a high flow x and stock water pump to 342 with an o/r prochamber and electric water pump, lesson learned: over modding doesn't help unless you have the serious power (stroker/fi) to call for it.

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
This is what I got out of regular bolt ons, 127500 cams, FRPP intake and TB with 110 MM JLT CAI. Stock Heads.

picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back