How to pull out the light switch knob?

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Howdy, Has anyone attempted to remove the light switch knob on an s197? Not many reasons too, though I'm putting LED lighting into this thing and I need to remove the green film firstly. Can't seem to figure out how to remove the dang knob. There has to be a locking pin of some sort, but I've tried and looked for it. Should of broken one of these to see how the mechanism works at the yard, but yeah. Appreciated.

bgWGgb7.jpg

iuQhmnv.jpg

teeje

Reaction score
Howdy, Has anyone attempted to remove the light switch knob on an s197? Not many reasons too, though I'm putting LED lighting into this thing and I need to remove the green film firstly. Can't seem to figure out how to remove the dang knob. There has to be a locking pin of some sort, but I've tried and looked for it. Should of broken one of these to see how the mechanism works at the yard, but yeah. Appreciated.

bgWGgb7.jpg

iuQhmnv.jpg
It's a royal pain in the ass..I just fiddle fucked with it until it came out. Then I broke it..then bought a new one and said fuck it

But..I'm curious if I can find out what style led bulb I bought awhile ago..its been so long since I've attempted to take one apart again. If I'm correct, the white piece is pressed on to the knob.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
Ah I found it. It's a t4 tall neo wedge

Deathstang II

Reaction score
It's a royal pain in the ass..I just fiddle fucked with it until it came out. Then I broke it..then bought a new one and said fuck it

But..I'm curious if I can find out what style led bulb I bought awhile ago..its been so long since I've attempted to take one apart again. If I'm correct, the white piece is pressed on to the knob.

Yeah from your images you posted of your LED conversion you never did the lights for it I now see why LOL. I think Ill end up going to the yard again and busting one to figure it out, that way I at least have a functioning one on the car. Like my old '98 Mustang, there's a green film under the switch and you'll need to probably sand away at it with 600 and finishing it with 1000 grit. That way the LED will bleed whatever color you want and not be interrupted by the film.

As for the Wedge bulb I knew what bulb it was, but they're hard to find. eBay dont seem to have them in Tall.

teeje

Reaction score
Yeah from your images you posted of your LED conversion you never did the lights for it I now see why LOL. I think Ill end up going to the yard again and busting one to figure it out, that way I at least have a functioning one on the car. Like my old '98 Mustang, there's a green film under the switch and you'll need to probably sand away at it with 600 and finishing it with 1000 grit. That way the LED will bleed whatever color you want and not be interrupted by the film.
Yes, correct. I did however put a clear led in there, hence why it's still green. If I ever worm up the courage to do it again, maybe I'll put blue in

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Yes, correct. I did however put a clear led in there, hence why it's still green. If I ever worm up the courage to do it again, maybe I'll put blue in

Well if there's anymore S197s coming in at my yards before I leave to Texas the end of this month. I will be sure to attempt to figure it out and update my LED thread.

teeje

Reaction score
Well if there's anymore S197s coming in at my yards before I leave to Texas the end of this month. I will be sure to attempt to figure it out and update my LED thread.
If you get another, send me one!!

Deathstang II

Reaction score
If you get another, send me one!!

Yeah I can attempt to salvage another, that's whats great about living in Cali, we have a lot of yards, but this state sucks ass in not only car enthusiasts but everything LOL.

teeje

Reaction score
Yeah I can attempt to salvage another, that's whats great about living in Cali, we have a lot of yards, but this state sucks ass in not only car enthusiasts but everything LOL.
Oh, I've heard and don't doubt that one bit

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Alright so check it, had an '06 vsux come into the yard and appears this light switch is a tad different from my '05 in that it does not have the fog light option on it like mine does. I tore it apart and figured it out since the idea is the same. So, there appears to be a clip that is apart of the tan piece that locks the knob (Look at image #3 and in the center you can see it's broken). Break that clip using a flat head under that large opening and the whole thing comes apart like I show here. Pretty much just glue the knob onto the tan piece to reassemble. Now problem is and unfortunately I did not have sandpaper with me to test this, but I believe that green film is apart of the plastic, I could be wrong but I certainly have no Idea if sanding that shit off will do any good. It's not like my '98 was. More trial and error will have to come. If I can find a switch with the fog option I can experiment with that'd be better.

IMG_0263[1].JPG

IMG_0258[1].JPG

IMG_0259[1].JPG

IMG_0257[1].JPG

Last edited:

teeje

Reaction score
Alright so check it, had an '06 vsux come into the yard and appears this light switch is a tad different from my '05 in that it does not have the fog light option on it like mine does. I tore it apart and figured it out since the idea is the same. So, there appears to be a clip that is apart of the tan piece that locks the knob (Look at image #3 and in the center you can see it's broken). Break that clip using a flat head under that large opening and the whole thing comes apart like I show here. Pretty much just glue the knob onto the tan piece to reassemble. Now problem is and unfortunately I did not have sandpaper with me to test this, but I believe that green film is apart of the plastic, I could be wrong but I certainly have no Idea if sanding that shit off will do any good. It's not like my '98 was. More trial and error will have to come. If I can find a switch with the fog option I can experiment with that'd be better.

View attachment 77374

View attachment 77375

View attachment 77376

View attachment 77377
I took one apart a long time ago and was able to get it unclipped without breaking it..never can remember what I did with it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back