Inexpensive cobra jet cold air intake

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
This is a great flowing budget option to those $500-700 CAI setups for the cobra jet intake on 2011-2014 Gt's

This is a 2010 4.6l JLT gen3 CAI that requires some minor mods.
I used a coupler from VMP to adapt to the cobra jet throttle body but this CAI is 1/2" larger is than the frpp CJ CAI was made
te6esygu.jpg

You need to replace the fitting in the bottom with a 90deg fitting that fits a 1/2" id hose.
4a9unaqa.jpg

Then you can either modify the heat shield or build a new one from fiberglass or plastic or aluminum.
I chose fiberglass
This is 4 layers of cloth and 4 layers of matt 2 matt on inside 2 on outside
mepubu9y.jpg
gehy5emu.jpg

Will get more pics of shield once finished smooth and painted

http://youtu.be/KV8ix1IW2Xo

http://youtu.be/3w2NnNL2XNs

Last edited:

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this intake has been proven to be very restrictive out of the options that are out there for the CJ setup.. It leaves a bit of power on the table.. even though its 4.5" where the filter is it necks down where the throttle body is and that's were the restriction is.. the frpp CAI is proven on the cars lucky enough to get it to make awesome power over this jlt..

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
This worked well. 2010 GT Airaid intake tube. Tube was $90.

This is on the car now:

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score

Saw these on the Coyote FB Page--- They are selling for $450 painted and shipped I believe
5" Mild Steel

Last edited:

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Hahaha maaaan... I posted via PC and can see fine on a PC, but can't see on my phone

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Hahaha maaaan... I posted via PC and can see fine on a PC, but can't see on my phone

If you link it up to photobucket or a file sharing service we can access the links from that will work. Your pic links are to a gmail account hence the breakage.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
If you link it up to photobucket or a file sharing service we can access the links from that will work. Your pic links are to a gmail account hence the breakage.

Gotcha- was at work earlier, and things weren't really working out on my phone.

Updated my post above

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
So 5" cai is the chosen one....has anyone found of paying the extra cash for a scj is worth it compared to the 62mm gt500?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
So 5" cai is the chosen one....has anyone found of paying the extra cash for a scj is worth it compared to the 62mm gt500?

I did some testing with the GT500 TB and it is a restriction. The SCJ mono-blade is the way.

No need for a 5" tube. Both the FRPP and Airaid tube posted use the same MAF transfer function. Both tubes measure ~4" I.D. and provide more than enough area for flow.

The largest restriction on these motors is on the exhaust side FWIW.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought Vaughn Gittin, Jr. was using a hopped-up N/A version of the 5.4, not the Coyote? Or was that a few years ago?

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Vaughn changes motor combo's with the seasons it seems lol. You were right, He had done up 5.4 with ITB's making 600+

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
No need for a 5" tube. Both the FRPP and Airaid tube posted use the same MAF transfer function. Both tubes measure ~4" I.D. and provide more than enough area for flow.

Any performance difference that you are aware of from using the '11-'14 Airaid with a 4"-5" coupler?

Were you able to get only the CJ tube or did you have to buy the whole new CJ cai system?

Last edited:

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the guys over at rev auto have done a tone of testing to determine whether or not a 4"-4.5" or a 5" was a better choice! from what I understand they have a ton of fast cars that they have built and are using this combo that have come from other intakes on the cj manifold.. and they are all in the mid 120's + mph range and in the 10's.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
At the TX mile I used a step coupler on the Airaid PJ tube which is 4" round and ran 180mph. When drag racing I saw no performance difference between the 4" ID tube that Ford racing is going to be selling and the just under 5" ID tube as used on the CJ race car. So not much of a believer in having to have a 5" tube at all. However, I also don't subscribe to certain people's theories that a 5" tube causes things like idle problems, never seen any difference compared to a 4". A 5" tube won't hurt, but I don't think you need it.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the guys over at rev auto have done a tone of testing to determine whether or not a 4"-4.5" or a 5" was a better choice! from what I understand they have a ton of fast cars that they have built and are using this combo that have come from other intakes on the cj manifold.. and they are all in the mid 120's + mph range and in the 10's.

They don't have a stock long block car running the CJ intake that has run as good as my car with a Boss intake, stock TB and a 4" intake tube. They have run in much better conditions as well. My best MPH was 126+ with that setup. I expect more with the CJ setup on my car now.

5" intake tube isn't needed.

Any performance difference that you are aware of from using the '11-'14 Airaid with a 4"-5" coupler?

Were you able to get only the CJ tube or did you have to buy the whole new CJ cai system?

As kdanner mentioned I don't think you will have any major restriction.

The FRPP CAI is a complete setup. I am not aware of them offering just the tube. Anyone running an Airaid CAI would only just need the tube however.

Last edited:

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Just a FYI a member of my local mustang club(westsidemustangs.com) just dynoed his boss with only changing to a cobra jet intake, cobra jet twin65mm and using this exact JLT CAI swapping from Boss and Airraid and he picked up 40hp at peak.
Waiting for dyno sheets to see how much he gained midrange.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

Back