Inspection Sticker

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
I cannot renew my registration without an inspection sticker (which I haven't had for about a year now). My car has no cats and was custom dyno tuned. I've never gotten a DTC except for a "slow sensor response" that I get because of the American Racing Headers LT's I have.

I contacted Doug at BamaChips with my situation and he is going to send me a tune that will eliminate the slow sensor response problem ($50 race tune).

NOW...will I pass inspection after I get this new tune OR even if I just clear the DTC with my SCT and drive for a few miles so the computer has a "history"?

There's this one shop in the ghetto that said they would take care of my car for me but I do not know the person and he wants me to leave it for one day AND MAYBE over night. This leads me to believe that my car will be taken for a joy ride and maybe some other things I'd be unaware of. I really really really don't want to leave my car at their shop (even for an hour).

What do I need to do to pass inspection with the modifications I have listed below? If my car has NO DTC's and the person who does the inspection ignores the fact that I have no cats....will my car pass???

I don't know how the inspection process works so let me know what you think - thank you!!

G

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't have any "test incomplete" or "system not ready" responses from your PCM when they run the OBD II scan, and if whoever is doing your inspection does not do a visual, then you will pass. But I can pretty much tell you that from what I have heard about Bamachip's tunes that your rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune and that is probably going to be your achillies heel.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Talk to 94tbird, if a tuner knows what they are doing they can make everything show as not supported instead of test incomplete. This will pass with the state computers as long as the guy running the tester doesn't care.

Ron's car has all 4 O2s turned off and it passes as does my car it passes NC OBD2 emissions with flying colors and all of the emissions stuff is turned off in the tune. The problem is people don't understand the difference I am trying to describe in the tune.

Bottom line its all in the tune if you have a "friendly" inspection station.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't have any "test incomplete" or "system not ready" responses from your PCM when they run the OBD II scan, and if whoever is doing your inspection does not do a visual, then you will pass. But I can pretty much tell you that from what I have heard about Bamachip's tunes that your rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune and that is probably going to be your achillies heel.

I was told by Doug that the O2 Sensors are not turned off, they are just not monitored, this helps the Spanish Oak Processor work faster since it's one less thing it has to process. none the less doug can make a emissions tune if you ask him. you just need to run it for a few days with start of stop cycles and you can pass an ODBII test.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm going to place my tune order and tell him that I want the "slow sensor response" DTC gone and want it to pass emissions. Let's see what happens...

PiggySmallz

forum member
Reaction score
Gus I was under the impression that you are allowed one "not ready" in New York. I'm not 100% sure though as my car is a 2007 and I won't be scanned until 2009. First two years are just a safety inspection

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
My car is a 2007 too. Does that mean it doesn't have to be hooked up to the OBII crap thingamajig??

PiggySmallz

forum member
Reaction score
My car is a 2007 too. Does that mean it doesn't have to be hooked up to the OBII crap thingamajig??

from my understanding yes. I also bought mine last august though so that might have something to do with it being it's only been inspected once so far. I was told two safety inspections before they hooked up the OBDII. Even then though I was told by an inspector that one not ready was allowed and more than likely my not ready would be from my 02 sensors being turned off. This is just what I was told as I haven't had to worry about it yet.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gus - make sure after you upload a new tune you do a driving cycle or the computer will give a not ready message.

10 mins hwy and 20 mins city driving as per the owners manual.

You are allowed one not ready..... however if its the O2 sensor it will (happened to me) cause two other not readys and they can't do the inspection.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
from my understanding yes. I also bought mine last august though so that might have something to do with it being it's only been inspected once so far. I was told two safety inspections before they hooked up the OBDII. Even then though I was told by an inspector that one not ready was allowed and more than likely my not ready would be from my 02 sensors being turned off. This is just what I was told as I haven't had to worry about it yet.

I see. Well I bought my car in August of 2006 so I think I might be due for the hook-up to the OBDII. Last year I didn't bother getting an inspection because I hardly drive my car so I figured I wouldn't get caught. I did get one $60 ticket that time in Brooklyn though :(

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Gus - make sure after you upload a new tune you do a driving cycle or the computer will give a not ready message.

10 mins hwy and 20 mins city driving as per the owners manual.

You are allowed one not ready..... however if its the O2 sensor it will (happened to me) cause two other not readys and they can't do the inspection.

Dave, how did you get the car inspected then if you got 3 "not readys"?

PiggySmallz

forum member
Reaction score
I see. Well I bought my car in August of 2006 so I think I might be due for the hook-up to the OBDII. Last year I didn't bother getting an inspection because I hardly drive my car so I figured I wouldn't get caught. I did get one $60 ticket that time in Brooklyn though :(

haha I remember that. It was freezing that day

I believe dave has a catted mid pipe so he probably just had his sensors turned back on

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I didn't.

I had to get an updated tune from Dan that turned the O2s on(SCT defaults them to off), upload it and then do the driving cycle. Took the car back for inspection and it passed NP. :thumb:

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that if you have no check engine lights, the car will pass. I of course could be wrong. I had Doug from Bama send me an emissions tune, and that worked. Definately sucked driving the car for a few days though.

PiggySmallz

forum member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that if you have no check engine lights, the car will pass. I of course could be wrong. I had Doug from Bama send me an emissions tune, and that worked. Definately sucked driving the car for a few days though.

you also have a catted pipe though lol. I threw a CEL immediately after installing my off road prochamber. I recieved my tune the day after

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ordered a O2 simulator for mine. I can't pass because I have no cats either. I will install the simulator tomorrow, upload the tune with the O2 turned on and run it through the driving cycle then go see if it will pass. I hope it does cause I really hate that failed sticker in my window.

Oh, the place I ordered from is o2sim.com

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered a O2 simulator for mine. I can't pass because I have no cats either. I will install the simulator tomorrow, upload the tune with the O2 turned on and run it through the driving cycle then go see if it will pass. I hope it does cause I really hate that failed sticker in my window.

Oh, the place I ordered from is o2sim.com

Can you explain to me what this does and how it's installed?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back