Instrument Cluster Weirdness

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
So, I think I know the issue but I want some opinions as some of these symptoms don't quite fit my theory.

I've been noticing some weird things going on with my gauge cluster. The first thing I noticed is when I cycle though the menus using the Setup (or whatever that damn button's name is) I would lose the "beep" that signaled each successive menu change. I could only get it back by doing a System Check diagnostic.

Next on very rare occasions, i noticed that when I would shut my lights off, the cluster would stay illuminated for a second or two, give a warning beep and then proceed to turn off.

Last issue just happened today. I filled up for gas, reset all the data-log functions ( MPG, Trip, Gallons Used etc) and proceeded to drive home. After I parked it and came back a little bit later, I noticed that all of the functions reset themselves to "zero" again even though I had a few miles on it from the drive home (except the total mileage of course).

So, I grabbed my XCAL 3 and data-logged the battery voltage and was seeing 13.2-3 steady. So, my conclusion is either the battery and/or alternator are soon to be FUBARed (both originals on a 2005).

Now my question is, can a bad alternator/battery be causing all these symptoms in the cluster? or, is the cluster on its way out as well?

Thanks,

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
check both floor boards (driver's side & passenger's side) for being wet. Our MY vehicles were plagued with leaks that damage the SJB. Not sure if that would cause the issues your having but it is an easy place to start.

silverhorseGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone out there install a white gauge face insert? It looks awesome installed. But when you turn the car on, the numbers light up white/light grey which makes them somewhat hard to see during the day against the white background. Anyone run into this same problem? is there a way to disconnect the stock daytime cluster lights behind the tach, speedometer and 4 gauges so the cluster background stays white with black numbers? A setting I missed maybe? My Color at night works great on it, similar to stock with all of the numbers lit up against a surprisingly dark background. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

goldenpony

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone out there install a white gauge face insert? It looks awesome installed. But when you turn the car on, the numbers light up white/light grey which makes them somewhat hard to see during the day against the white background. Anyone run into this same problem? is there a way to disconnect the stock daytime cluster lights behind the tach, speedometer and 4 gauges so the cluster background stays white with black numbers? A setting I missed maybe? My Color at night works great on it, similar to stock with all of the numbers lit up against a surprisingly dark background. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ran into this same issue on 2 cars - my '06 GT and before that, a 2000 GT. I put white face gauge faces in both cars. I found in the case where it was really bad I'd turn on the parking lights and it seemed better.
I had another issue in the white faces in my '06 in that they didn't have the traction lost and wrench icons. Eventually, I changed these out for stainless steel face gauges, they do have the 2 missing icons. I like the white face gauge look too, but I felt it was important to have those 2 icons. The stainless steel look is pretty cool too.

silverhorseGT06

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the input goldenpony. Got this from Granatelli, so will have to check with them regarding the 2 icons and whether or not they are included (hard to tell now that it is installed). Have an note out to them as well regarding the numbers lighting up white during the day too. I did turn my parking lights on too, and it is a little easier to see, but I run halo's up front and don't really want to ride around with those on all day long. There has to be a wire that can be disconnected behind the cluster that would turn off the daytime driving lights for the gauge cluster. On a mission to figure that out. :pcshoot:

Ran into this same issue on 2 cars - my '06 GT and before that, a 2000 GT. I put white face gauge faces in both cars. I found in the case where it was really bad I'd turn on the parking lights and it seemed better.
I had another issue in the white faces in my '06 in that they didn't have the traction lost and wrench icons. Eventually, I changed these out for stainless steel face gauges, they do have the 2 missing icons. I like the white face gauge look too, but I felt it was important to have those 2 icons. The stainless steel look is pretty cool too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back