Is this just paint?

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was sitting in my parked car waiting for my wife when a nice red '65 fastback pulls up and parks right next to me on the passenger's side.

The woman inside then swings open her door and I hear a solid "thud" as her door bangs into my fender taking a small chip out. The lady says the wind pulled the door open and tries to shrug it off as if it's no big deal. She acted as if it wasn't even her fault.

Here's a pic of the "chip". It's a small enough mark that I didn't immediately grab her insurance info but I did get her name and number trusting that, in good faith, she'd honor any estimate.

I'm in a phase of my life where I'd like to let most things slide and not get hotheaded about stuff, if it's little, since it was an accident. I'm honestly thinking about just applying touch-up paint to this and forgetting about calling her. The chip is barely noticeable but it seems deep.

The "old" me woudn't let something like this go. If it needs more work I'm going to get her to pay ... and if she tries to blow it off I will report it as a hit and run since I have a photo of her license plate.

How does the damage look to y'all? Is it even worth taking to a shop for an estimate?

It's small but kinda deep.

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

Here's her car.

f863837f.jpg

Last edited:

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
Sadly the only real fix is to have a body shop paint the fender.... it shouldnt be more then 300 bucks, being that they would remove the headlight and also "setback" the bumper. or the cheap way is to dab some color in the chipped area only, then apply clear in several layers letting it dry in between coats (tacky to the touch is prefered) then buff the finish til it looks even. the only problem with this is that the chip will leave a ring in the clear.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is down to the primer and they can blend it in but as stated probably at least 300 for the fix. If I owned the fastback I'd be more worried about the damage to that car. Very good looking 65.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is down to the primer and they can blend it in but as stated probably at least 300 for the fix. If I owned the fastback I'd be more worried about the damage to that car. Very good looking 65.

Oddly enough I didn't see any damage on her door. Then again, I didn't look very hard. I'd seen her car before and admired it.

Although I am in my rights to chase her down to have the whole fender done I don't think it's worth it. At this point I'm inclined to just go for a spot fix.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
Mistakes happen but she should have to pay for it even if she apologized. It sucks but that's just the reality of it and Im sure she will understand. Haha Yeah right

I have a very similar chip on my fender from where my prop rod fell onto my fender and I just used painters tape around the chip and bought some touch up paint. I can see it still and it does bug me but I can live with it because its my DD. I guess it all depends on how picky you are about this stuff.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
More pics of the '65 please!!! Was she a hottie? If so, pics of her too!!!!lol
She was not a cow but she also wasn't a hottie. 4.5/10

What kinda irked me is that she tried to play it off as no big deal. I don't even remember a distinct apology. Her attitude was that it wasn't her fault because she didn't do it deliberately. Some nerve.
But, realistically I'm beyond letting that bother me nowadays.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score

JimsWhite05GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'd just use some touch up paint on it. I've got quite a few touched up rock chips on mine, paint on cars these days just doesn't seem to hold up very well.

Her attitude probably would have pissed me off too, but really nothing to have a stroke over, in the grand scheme of life.

My neighbor put the only ding in my car with her door and almost cried over it. Wasn't really her fault though as it was a VERY windy day and she loves her Stang as much as I love mine. Guess I should try PDR but since it's on the crease and no one sees it but me, no big rush.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What you do is you get a shopping cart and tape a bunch of metal files to the outside of it. Then you make a sail for it. Next you wait for her to park on a windy day, position the cars up wind from her car and let fly. If she has a problem with it, it obviously isn't your fault, the wind took it.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
What you do is you get a shopping cart and tape a bunch of metal files to the outside of it. Then you make a sail for it. Next you wait for her to park on a windy day, position the cars up wind from her car and let fly. If she has a problem with it, it obviously isn't your fault, the wind took it.
It's a nice fantasy but you know I can't do that to another stang. ... especially a '65. It's not the car's fault the owner is a chowder head.

being a doctor, it seems you would be familiar with this....
I just placed an order, thanks.

Last edited:

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
Some how I don't believe that car was hers because if she had the time and money into that car she would realize how big of a deal it is rather then shrugging it off. I say call her and ask to speak to the man of the house.

Let me know if that Dr Color Chip works I need this for my hood.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Some how I don't believe that car was hers because if she had the time and money into that car she would realize how big of a deal it is rather then shrugging it off. I say call her and ask to speak to the man of the house.

Are you married????? When a woman tears something up on a car she is quick to tell the husband "we bought it that way, I've been trying to tell you but you wouldn't listen"..............to which if the man argues.........well, .........this goes even so far if she causes the hood to touch the trunk in a wreck. It's NEVER their fault.

:dead2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back