Longtubes install on FI car

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
More than likely going to be picking up a set of Pypes LTs and O/R H or X pipe, and have decided to install it at home (on the ground, with jackstands :idea::thud:). Will be getting some help from at least one of my buddies. I have been doing a lot of research, and reading as much as I can about the install and parts. One thing I havent seen is anyone doing this on a car with a blower. I have a Procharger Stage 2 kit on the car... just wondering if there is anyone who can give me any guidance, and warn me of any extra steps I might have to take getting to get the procharger stuff out of the way. Based on the things I've read, I know I will at least have to remove the intake tube so that I can gain access to the drivers side from the top. Anything else? I did not do the procharger install myself (had it installed at a local shop- wish I did it myself though). Any problems with jacking the motor with it on there? Gonna try to get the motor very high so I dont have to mess with the steering shaft. :handjob:

Any other pointers that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Also wanted to get everyones opinion of driving the car without being tuned for LT's. Obviously, at the very least I will have to drive the car to the dyno.

Thanks guys :hi:

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
well, i had the longtubes on before my procharger, but i wouldnt think you would have to take it off or anything. My tuner told me he only had to raise my motor a little bit to get my L/T's on. I'd think the plastic intake would be the only thing to remove.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
The only thing you will have to do is, disconnect the intercooler plumbing so you can raise the engine and remove the air filter.

Mach1Run

forum member
Reaction score
Doing a Pypes LT ( on a NA car) off and on for the last couple days here, on jackstands in the garage. Taking the battery tray out on the passenger side and taking the airbox on the driver side give you alot of room. Once I jacked the motor up and took the motor mounts out I have no problem getting the LT in. The passenger side actually dropped in from the top and the driver took some twisty maneuvering to get it in around the shaft. I did not even have to slide the rack forward.

As of right now it seems that getting the midpipe fitted in correctly is going to be the biggest pain.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
yeah disconnect the intercooler piping, remove starter, jack up by trans, remove motor mounts install headers and go in reverse to reinstall everything. Wont be too bad.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
HERE is a MUCH better writeup. Go get the Dynatech Header Install .pdf and follow that. I followed it to a "T" and my install went well! No issues at all. It covers everything, with good pics as well, from A to Z. :beerdrink:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
HERE is a MUCH better writeup. Go get the Dynatech Header Install .pdf and follow that. I followed it to a "T" and my install went well! No issues at all. It covers everything, with good pics as well, from A to Z. :beerdrink:

LOL...that's my gallery. I forgot I had that write-up in there as well.

Maybe DonW could use it. :idea:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
LOL...that's my gallery. I forgot I had that write-up in there as well.

Maybe DonW could use it. :idea:

Well I owe you a big THANK YOU!! The Dynatech .pdf was the best instructions on the net since I bought slightly used headers without instructions. I followed the Dynatech installation and it went without a hitch and this was my FIRST header installation ever. I was intimidated but took the challenge since I had those instructions.

THanks!!:beerdrink:

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
yeah disconnect the intercooler piping, remove starter, jack up by trans, remove motor mounts install headers and go in reverse to reinstall everything. Wont be too bad.

Everything i've read so far, no one mentioned jacking the car by the transmission. does it matter if the car is an auto vs. 5 speed manal?

Robstang

forum member
Reaction score
You might want to think about changing the motor mounts while your doing this too, unless you already have.

usafimj

Reaction score
You don't need to remove the motor mounts. What I did was remove the block to motor mount bracket. That made plenty of room. Just remove the 3 bolts of the starter and lay on the k-member. No need to removed the wiring.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You don't need to remove the motor mounts. What I did was remove the block to motor mount bracket. That made plenty of room. Just remove the 3 bolts of the starter and lay on the k-member. No need to removed the wiring.

That's what I did. Although I should have swapped them out at the time...would've saved time down the road when I had to swap them out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back