Mastering the art of the S197 3 link suspension (sixty foot)

TheSlow1

forum member
Reaction score
going this weekend to try out the new NT05r's so i'll post up after that but a suggestion for the thread would be adding if your boosted or N/A. You see some of the guys hitting 1.3 60's and it's like WTF then you look and they are fully built turbo'd or whatever which makes way more sense.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
going this weekend to try out the new NT05r's so i'll post up after that but a suggestion for the thread would be adding if your boosted or N/A. You see some of the guys hitting 1.3 60's and it's like WTF then you look and they are fully built turbo'd or whatever which makes way more sense.

just look at there sig information ;)

Boorail85

forum member
Reaction score
06 5spd

4.30 gears
bmr lower control arms
26x11.5x17 et streets (worn out)
5000rpm

1.72-.75's all day on an "ok" track at 3300ft. At a GOOD track, 1.60's no doubt.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Heres my info. Other than switching to auto nothing changed between a manual and an auto suspension wise. Best 60 was a 1.53 and a 1.58 with the stick, although i was usually in the 1.6's. Best with the auto is 1.47 and i stayed between that and 1.53 on the runs i made.

- Shocks - Tokico D spec (fronts 7 turns out, left rear 5 turns out, right rear 3 turns out, all from full stiff)
- Rear springs - Cobra Jet
- Lower control arms - BMR Boxed Non Adjustable with CHE Reloc Brackets
- Upper control arm - Currie
- posi - Detroit Tru Trac (9" Rear version)
- Pan hard bar - BMR Adjsutable
- Pan hard bar support brace - BMR
- Gear size - 4.10
- Brand/ tire size - M&H 275/40/18
- Clutch or which converter at what stall?Circle D 3400 Stall
- Anti roll bar or which rear sway bar - FRPP Rear Swaybar

Last edited:

gzmo

forum member
Reaction score
This is such a great thread! Now I know what setup works best!

gzmo

forum member
Reaction score
So many ideas and new things to try...

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is my setup last year last time I was at the track before the motor went:

Whipple at 10psi 451rwhp 420rwtq no other mods.

- Shocks -- Stock
- Rear springs -- Stock
- Lower control arms --- Stock
- Upper control arm --- Stock
- posi -- Stock
- Pan hard bar -- Stock
- Pan hard bar support brace -- Stock
- Gear size -- 3.55
- Brand/ tire size -- Gforce KDW 265/40/18 on 18x10's (retard got the wrong tires for me)
- Clutch or which converter at what stall? -- stock clutch
- Anti roll bar or which rear sway bar -- stock

Best 60ft time was 2.02

I could not make it to the track after I got all my suspension and drag radials I went down Three times and every time they were either closed for rain or an even got postponed into street legals. very angry!!

Last edited:

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
what pinion angle do you use for drag? and you adjust it against what? i know with angle finder but ex:-3 dregres facing down against the driveshaft?

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If using cobra jet springs should I use lower control arm relocation brackets? I currently have vogtland lowering springs and bmr relocation bracket. Best '60 was a 1.44

Last edited:

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
If using cobra jet springs should I use lower control arm relocation brackets? I currently have vogtland lowering springs and bmr relocation bracket. Best '60 was a 1.44

Id like to know whos running them as well. Ive got ground force springs and just put the relos on for them. Im gonna be switching out to CJs for track day. I think I may sneak out to the 1/8 tracks and compare 60' times between all my suspension mods just to see whats working good.
Before the relos and a bad PA I was at 1.85. So Id like to see the difference in those. Then install the shocks and see the difference then the springs (and trying the different LCA holes)

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
Id like to know whos running them as well. Ive got ground force springs and just put the relos on for them. Im gonna be switching out to CJs for track day. I think I may sneak out to the 1/8 tracks and compare 60' times between all my suspension mods just to see whats working good.
Before the relos and a bad PA I was at 1.85. So Id like to see the difference in those. Then install the shocks and see the difference then the springs (and trying the different LCA holes)

I would be interested in seeing the results.

:beerchug2:

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Turbo setups but from what I understand tall gears are good because your spooled up for longer. It's not gearing that spools your turbo its the heat energy and gas volume and velocity that spool it.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Don't forget to try the different settings on the shocks also. I had mine on soft on launch (for weight transfer) and stiff for extension and I had a best 1.412 60' time. That was with CJ springs also. I did not have the relo brackets because the LCA geometry was still ok.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Don't forget to try the different settings on the shocks also. I had mine on soft on launch (for weight transfer) and stiff for extension and I had a best 1.412 60' time. That was with CJ springs also. I did not have the relo brackets because the LCA geometry was still ok.

Will do! Thanks

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Turbo setups but from what I understand tall gears are good because your spooled up for longer. It's not gearing that spools your turbo its the heat energy and gas volume and velocity that spool it.

Yeah but with a turbo the gears affect that heat energy and gas volume because of how it loads the engine. The more load (lower numerical gear) the more boost the motor will make sooner in the RPM range.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back