MSD Launch Master (Combined Threads)

Reaction score
So with stick, I would put it in first gear hold the clutch down press the button, wait for it to turn green and dump the clutch and go? damm it seems like its going to be one heck of a punch.

As far as my fuel pump pegging at 5k rpms, I find it strange also.. I'm going to try swapping out my BAP for a replacement from KB.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So with stick, I would put it in first gear hold the clutch down press the button, wait for it to turn green and dump the clutch and go? damm it seems like its going to be one heck of a punch.

As far as my fuel pump pegging at 5k rpms, I find it strange also.. I'm going to try swapping out my BAP for a replacement from KB.

If you wire it to the clutch switch you would not need to push a button. Just push the clutch in, floor it and when you want to launch let up on the clutch. Once the clutch comes up the 2-step will be off.

zgarske01

Reaction score
so will this thing work for building boost at idle on a turbo application with manual? or do i still need to go the dis-4 route

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
If you wire it to the clutch switch you would not need to push a button. Just push the clutch in, floor it and when you want to launch let up on the clutch. Once the clutch comes up the 2-step will be off.

How would you change gear ordinarily or stage? It needs to be switched separate to the clutch or am I missing something?

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
all its doing is lowering the rev limiter when the clutch is in. So it wouldnt effect staging or daily driving.
BTW, Hi, im Kevin. lol.

I think I want one of these too but i feel like by the time you get the clutch engaged ur rpms are gonna be so high im just gonna blow the tires off.

memphis90

Reaction score
The 2 step is a 'must have' if you are racing with a manual trans. You no longer have to concentrate on what your launch rpm is and watch the tree. This is especially important if running off a pro tree. I don't know if there would be a benefit using a 2 step if you have a trans brake. The only benefit might be if you have a really loose converter and want to lower the flash rpm due to less than ideal track conditions. Leaving at a lower rpm will take some hit off the tires.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How would you change gear ordinarily or stage? It needs to be switched separate to the clutch or am I missing something?

The RPMs needs to be 1000 below the set point or it will not engage. So if I set it to 4000 rpms and stage it will work because I am staging at a low rpm (approx 800-1000). Once I launch, my foot is on the floor so it will never drop below the 3000 rpms needed to get it to engage again. I hope this helps answer you question, if not try the links in post #8.

Reaction score
anyone have videos on this? im curious to see how wicked it would sound with a turbo.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

The 2 step is a 'must have' if you are racing with a manual trans. You no longer have to concentrate on what your launch rpm is and watch the tree. This is especially important if running off a pro tree. I don't know if there would be a benefit using a 2 step if you have a trans brake. The only benefit might be if you have a really loose converter and want to lower the flash rpm due to less than ideal track conditions. Leaving at a lower rpm will take some hit off the tires.

There is greater benefit if you have a auto with a trans break & use a 2 step.Your reaction time is more constant (i have done it) back to back 0.02 lights.
The more human element you remove the better drag racer you will be.
The Launch Blaster removes 2 elements for me.
It has improved by drag racing period.
If you want to improve,buy it!!!!!!

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So if put this on, set the rpm limit to 2800 or even 2900 (as close to stall as possible) I guess it would work without a transbrake. Probably have to hook up a switch to the brake pedal so the 2step is engaged when the brake is all the way down.
Activate 2step, stand on the brake and the gas, watch the lights, then side step the brake. I'd rather do this with a 4Krpm converer, even a 4.5Krpm.
It definitely seems worthwhile though!!!!!!

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
peharps i'm stupid but i don't see the two steps.

For me, regular 5r55 + tci3000. Press and hold the button to set the limit to 2900, brake, floor the gas, release the button at the same time as the brake and here it goes.

Wrong ? so only one button, one step.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

That's where I'm a little confused too. If you have a transbrake, why would you need this? What does it do that the brake won't?

And I'd still like to read about a success story on a 5R55S before I buy one.

1:The transbrake only holds your car,so your right foot is on the throttle trying to peg the rpm just enough you hope,you will never cut a light looking back & forth.
2:How much time does it take for your eyes to see the last bulb,tell your brain let go of the transbrake button,your muscles to contract & your brain tells your right foot (muscles again) to floor it.
3:All i do is release a button when i see my light.
4:The MSD does not know or care what tranny is in the car,it serves the same function,it is just a calibrated switch,thats all.
This is my opinion,i could be wrong!

This Launch Blaster is a rev limiter,but does not act at all like the ones programed into are PCMs,it does not flutter at all,it gives you a constant rpm at your setting.

I hope this helps everyone.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I just ordered one from Summit, so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks how well it works (or doesn't).

BTW, they are backordered at Summit until 5/15, but no biggie for me... I won't even have my car back until after that.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

So if put this on, set the rpm limit to 2800 or even 2900 (as close to stall as possible) I guess it would work without a transbrake. Probably have to hook up a switch to the brake pedal so the 2step is engaged when the brake is all the way down.
Activate 2step, stand on the brake and the gas, watch the lights, then side step the brake. I'd rather do this with a 4Krpm converer, even a 4.5Krpm.
It definitely seems worthwhile though!!!!!!

Yeah that would work Andy,a switch must be installed somewhere in your case,hand held or brake pedal!!

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

peharps i'm stupid but i don't see the two steps.

For me, regular 5r55 + tci3000. Press and hold the button to set the limit to 2900, brake, floor the gas, release the button at the same time as the brake and here it goes.

Wrong ? so only one button, one step.

The phrase 2 step means step 1 allow rpms to be prescribed,step 2 returns control to the PCM or coils or distributor or whatever.
It is a 2 step process.
It could also be interprited step one transbrake,step 2 rev limiter activation.1 switch controlling 2 functions!!!AKA the 2 step
Take your pick.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD Launch Blaster

I just ordered one from Summit, so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks how well it works (or doesn't).

BTW, they are backordered at Summit until 5/15, but no biggie for me... I won't even have my car back until after that.

At a boy Don.You won't be disapointed.
You can thank me later.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
At a boy Don.You won't be disapointed.
You can thank me later.
LOL... I've been wanting something like this for a long time, so if it works as advertised, I'll be a happy camper.

Yeah that would work Andy,a switch must be installed somewhere in your case,hand held or brake pedal!!
I'm planning on using a momentary switch... preferably mounted on the steering wheel so it can be thumb activated. Maybe I can borrow the idea some guys used for their line locks, and somehow use the cruise control button. Or figure out how to install a new button just to the right of the cruise.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on using a momentary switch... preferably mounted on the steering wheel so it can be thumb activated. Maybe I can borrow the idea some guys used for their line locks, and somehow use the cruise control button. Or figure out how to install a new button just to the right of the cruise.

I'm thinking an on/off switch tucked away, and a Reed switch on the brake pedal lever for activation.

Example: In my case, i'd wire it to the switch that turns on the LL circuit. This way when the LL circuit is on, so is the 2step. Have a reed switch setup at the top of the brake lever that only activates when the brake is ALL the way down. That way i can stand on the brake and gas, and sidestep the brake, and then the 2step turns off and away we go :) all from one switch in my center console... kind of like a 'drag race mode' switch :) :)

edit: nevermind... would need a separate switch. don't want any extra power going through the cc off button wires.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back