NA Detroit Rockers w/DOB 3v Blower setup

axis101

Reaction score
OK...hopefully in right forum. ‘08 Bullitt. I’m happy with appx 500rwh. However, still need to forge motor-crank, rods, pistons and other related items. Only 26k on the clock. Strange axles and well sorted suspension + more. Currently installing JPC complete Tremec XL kit.
I’ll port heads (professionally) & maybe update blower head for more efficiency.
The question for the experienced: I currently am running DETROIT ROCKER NA cams, with the DOB setup. Tune by Palm Beach Dyno (great place/great tunes). However, I have nothing to compare this combination. On a call to Brenspeed, I was informed this would be OK and that it would run just as good with NA as Blower cam version. ???. I didn’t get it, although I asked why. I feel maybe “Blower Cams” meant - “Turbo Cams”, because of lag. Is there a definitive response out there, before I pop the engine out? I’m not smart enough to digest all of the cam specs. Thank You.

Laga

Reaction score
First off, I wouldn’t believe a word Brenspeed says about cams. After installing their Detroit Rockers for the Edelbrock E-force, and using their tune, the car ran ran like shit. I mean total shit. I had to let it idle for 10 minutes (no exaggeration) before I could back it out of the garage without it dying. And then it would die occasionally at a stop light. When I called them I was told, “ You have a supercharged engine with a big cam, it’s going to run rough”. All these problems were fixed with nothing more than a tune from Lito.

I would seek advice elsewhere.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Your going to forge the motor, install ported heads and maybe update the blower for better efficiency. Sounds like a good time to select a blower specific cam to me. Talk with your tuner. They may recommenced a cam they have been successful with in your power range and driving style.
It is true that NA cams, blower cams and turbo cams all target different requirements of the induction system.
I ran the NA Detroit Rockers and Brenspeed tune for several years. They are designed to give a little bump-ity-bump idle and some mid range power to a stock block motor with a few bolt-ons. I liked them a lot and the car was fun to drive but I would not select them with a blower.

axis101

Reaction score
Thanks for the input...You’ve encouraged me to do more research. I’m a bit late on reply- recovering from mold poisoning. I’m going to follow up with the guys at Rare Fab and Palm Beach Dyno (both in Boynton Beach) and hopefully find some solid experience. I feel like a relic there now days, many Mustangs far north of 700hp & 1000+ seems not unusual around there with the 5.0’s.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good 3V blower cam with good vacuum.

picture1-png.70691

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back