Need input from non-stock hood users/painters/bad asses

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
:thud::crazy:

Please video this fiasco. Doc said I need some laughter in my life. This WILL NOT DISSAPPOINT!!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

Where is Sheen when you need him. LOL!!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
crap.. now I'm trying get part on amazon.. which disks do I get? the 8 hole version or no holes? and why the F would there be holes in sand paper??? omg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
dumpster-diving.jpg

"Daddy, I found a Carbon Fiber hood with a man's arm attached to it!!! Come see!!!"

:clap:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
What kind of backing pad is on your DA? Is it just a flat pad that you stick shit on, or is it hook and loop?

I don't think I've ever seen a fine grit paper with holes in it, get no hole paper.

You also don't need to DA to sand, although it does make it easier.

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
What kind of backing pad is on your DA? Is it just a flat pad that you stick shit on, or is it hook and loop?

I don't think I've ever seen a fine grit paper with holes in it, get no hole paper.

You also don't need to DA to sand, although it does make it easier.
Yea for hard coats like the resin he would be dead by the time he block sanded it lol, thats why I recommended the DA.

lostsoul

Reaction score

it says "Comes with one 8-hole hook and loop sanding disc" , but it looks like it is a flat Velcro type with opening for the 8 hole for the dust cleaning thing. I thought there would be a little foam on the disk for any wobble or uneven areas.. but it just a flat hard disk..

The resin is pretty think in area.. should I got to a 300/400 instead then 1500 or 1000, in rubbing compound then polish

the sander got pretty good ratings and some auto pros use it... but I will F it up.

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I've never worked with resin, but if you tried a 400 grit on clear coat, you would NEVER be able to buff the scratches out. I would start with a finer grit and see if it cuts. If not, then move to a harsher grit. Breaking the initial shell on the outside will be the toughest part, but after that the resin should get sanded easier.

My buddy has one of these on his DA for sanding. Its a foam pad, prevents you from digging into the finish and fucking up on hard lines.

http://3mcollision.com/products/tools/disc-pads/3m-hookit-soft-interface-pads-6-inch-05777.html

Rubbing compound after you're done sanding with this:

http://3mcollision.com/products/buf...ads/3m-perfect-it-wool-buffing-pad-05703.html

Foam pad to polish after the rubbing compound.

http://3mcollision.com/products/buf...ect-it-foam-compounding-pad-05706-8-inch.html

Try to find an automotive paint store around you, they may be able to better recommend what to use. The stuff I just linked for you works well with clear coat, but I'm not sure if it would translate over to resin.

I'm halfway thinking by the time you buy all the tools, pads, and paper, it would have been cheaper just to pay someone else to do it.

As for lining the hood up, you can try to oval out the holes on your hood hinges and see if that gives you enough movement to get it lined up right.

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I would not go less than a 1000 grit on any clear coat. Any less and you won't be able to get the scratches out of it. Start with a 2000 and see what that does. Give it a try by hand on a section of the hood, then try buffing that spot and see if it does any good.

lostsoul

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. just finished ordering the backing pad and some different grit sanding disks.. once that comes in it will be show time.. Painting and things like this I normally avoided, but now I dont have much of a choice.

lostsoul

Reaction score
after I'm done F'ing up my car, Ill hit the wifes...

shes got a black /metal flack paint. should I just wash and then polish with the mirco fiber bonnet or foam one?

also it looks like there are 2 1 in areas where the clear coat is doing something? do I sand that with 1500 with the DA then rubbing compound/ polish?

IMAG0433.jpg

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Step away from the car! 1500 is too harsh unless you follow up with some 2000 or finer grit. You also need to be VERY careful with factory finishes. The clear is very thin compared to the finish on a repainted car.

lostsoul

Reaction score
ok.. then for that I will try with the 2K first and go from there.. I almost feel excited.. like I have enough knowledge to ..umm.. attempt....

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
1500 should be fine on that carbon. I've seen some buffed with 1500 or even 1200 on a hard clear coat. On a factory paint job I would stick with a 2000.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Will you be doing this sanding at the farm? Will the cat, and chickens be there? What about the guns and beer? SYT thread 3?

lostsoul

Reaction score
hahah.. no I will be doing it at home. just waiting for a few things to come in and I'll hit it.

Dont worry.. I will post up the progress.... good or bad..

If I F it up too much there is always plastic dip

Back