New owner

S

scrappy1skc

Found the wife a new car back a couple weeks, 06 GT, Vista Blue. 4700 miles! Dealer had it listed as GT Deluxe, turns out it had leather gut, and the Shaker 500 tunes! 18 inch wheels. Wife grew up in a Mustang family and her first car was 64 1/4 V8, wish we still had that! Anyway have been reading lots of great help in the threads. I did rocker stripes the other week, billet fuel, and some alum bits in interior. Really waiting on my JLT Street/Racer CAI and SCT tunes from Doug at Bamachips. Also ordered Roush GT extreme exh.
Contemplating a Cervini hood with ram air scoop and silver rally stripe kit.

-Whats avg $ for a dyno test for HP at RW run?
-Anyone know of rep place in MD area?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a secret. If we told you we would have to... Oh well, you know the rest...

BTW Welcome to the forums! :bigbeer:

S

scrappy1skc

keepin ya busy puttin the FU back in FUN I see, glad to know th eright man is on th ejob...thanx bro, yak at ya later,
Steve

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
dynos are ussually 100 bucks, a dyno day may run in the 50. for running the car only. tunning the car would take more than that.

welcome

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
also how do you load a pic in the posts?

This little button right here...
insertimage.gif

S

scrappy1skc

thanks all for the welcome and the wonder of the "buttons".

Also gratefull for some insight on hp testing via a dyno.
I don't think I'll need the tune then as I have a CAI and SCT tune from dep south Bamachips. Opted for 87 performance, 89 torque, 93 race tunes for options to start off for now.

Took the car on highway trip first time today...SWEET! I put the Roush GT Extreme exhaust (everything behind stock H pipes) on the other night...awesome sound. Missed the samll discalimer on the Roush website that said off road etc. Well called Roush and they said it'l pass emission test here in MD,, I just wonder about noise level. Either way it stays, I'll save the old muff's just in case. I have to say, not overly loud and sweet tune thru the whole range. While putting them on I decided one of these days, I'll have to slather a little rust kill on the rear and axles. Then a thin caot of primer and paint; way to much rust on the stuff there. No way I have the money to drop it and powder coat etc, 'Sides this is a daily driver.

Mustang is sure the breed apart!

Steve

S

scrappy1skc

Cai ram air

I've ordered Cervini fiberglass ram air hood 1171 and duct work. They have it setup to marry into stock airbox with slight mod. I'm contemplating one of two options depending on compatibility. Option 1. Making a mold and hand laying some fibeglass cloth to make up a custom air box that would enclose the C&L Strret/Racer hybrid CAI from Doug at Bamachip. This intent is to marry the duct from Cervini to the intake. Would putting the CAI filter inside a box similar in size and shape to stock present a problem to the CAIntake in any way? such as air volume restriction, air turbulence etc?
Option 2. Determine if I can mod the stock air box to do the same and fit the CAI filter/intake inside the box, and end up with decent result.

I attached the Cervini how to so you can get an idea of what I jabbering on about. My goal is a solid duct and functional ram air without negative impact on CAI and tune

Happy 45th . . .

Attachments

• 8029,8030,8031,8032(1).pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 3

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

I don't think option 2 is going to work, as I don't think the filter will fit inside the box. I don't have the racer, I have a JLT, but I'm pretty sure my filter is longer than the stock airbox is wide.

If you do option 1, please take lots of pictures and do a how-to write up. It sounds interesting!

S

scrappy1skc

Doug at Bamachip offered comment

Doug at Bamchip offered the following
"You can aim the air tube towards the CAI but if you have it blow directly onto the air filter then you could run into issues because this causes turbulence across the MAF sensor and makes the read incorrectly and causes check engine lights. The reason it works with the stock air box is because it blows in below the square air filter and it draws it straight up and across the MAF sensor, with a cone filter it draws in air from all around it and this would cause it to have a more uneven air path across the filter. It's hard to explain but I've seen this done a few times and it always causes issues. I would route the piping to where it can blow air into the box in some manner but not directly on to the air filter.

Thanks,

Douglas Studdard
www.Bamachips.com
205-302-0231 from 10am-5pm central time Monday-Friday.
Please check out www.TalkTuners.com for afterhours tuner support."

So I guess I'll have to investigate a bit further, and see if I can come up with a custom box that will direct air in, but not directly on filter. Maybe kind of a baffle or something. Will see if I can find any brainiac, type info relating to air movements like this. If it get's too crazy I may opt to just allow ram air to dump into the vicinity of the CAI inlet and not have a solid plumbing duct set up

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Isn't the whole point of RAM air the property that faster air is denser because it compresses? Doesn't a baffle reduce the velocity of the air, thereby removing the advantage in the first place?

S

scrappy1skc

what the point?

Thanks bro, for your time to comment,

yep you're right to a point. The point I'm shooting for is a true ram air, solid duct from entry to "ingestion" by motor. Doug's comments were about problems having ram air duct blowing into/onto CAI filter and causing turbelence. My comment on baffle was an idea to have solid duct work, but a small internal baffle that would allow all that rammed air to enter filter withoutout blowing directly into/onto filter of CAI. I really want to research and come up with a true solid duct work that somehow stays away from turbulence affecting the MAF sensor. The small baffle would simply prevent air from blowing dirctely onto filter, yet allow air to "go around"

I'm not up on fluid dynamics which is what the flow of air would be in for those science geeks. For now I'm putting the hood onm when I get it, and just allow the cold additional air to "come out" near the CAI filter. Intend to do some geek research to see hwat I can design

S

scrappy1skc

If you want some serious info on ram air science check http://www.vararam.com/ramairinaroadcar.html

Wife is driving to Vineland NJ to have Cevinis install my painted ram air hood (#1171) on Wed 18th. Normally I'd put it on but they made an offer I couldn't refuse (free)

Seems after reading up on ram air at the above site I have some homework, (thought I left that behind in HS)

Also going to 03/28/2009 2nd Annual YHS Car Show Location : York High School Yorktown VA 23692 757-898-0233 [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back