New race wheels, what tire?

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
So I bought the Greg Weld Racelite 93 series in 17x9.5 and 17x4.5. M&H makes a skinny that is desgined for this rim. This is the link http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=74&rn=368&action=show_detail.

The guy from Greg Weld said I could run any 205/50/17s on the front. I was looking at a sumitomo htrz in that size here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0. Anyone know what the weight difference between the two would be? Are there any other advantages to running the M&H? Is it be worth it to buy the M&H over the sumitomo? If anyone has any insight to this I would appreciate it.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should be able to run a hell of a lot wider tire than a 205 on a 9.5" wide rim.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I run the M and H on front and rear.
I have been happy with the 4.5s on the front. As for the rear I bet you can slap some 325s on there no problem. Remember the M and H are not the same 325 of a MT.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
I run the M and H on front and rear.
I have been happy with the 4.5s on the front. As for the rear I bet you can slap some 325s on there no problem.

I am just talking trying to figure out the fronts. I guess the reason I was looking at the Sumitomo, was because I was considering using these as a daily driver rim. I dont think the M&H skinny would be very good as a daily driver tire (especially if I got caught in the rain), but that sumitomo wouldnt be too bad as a DD. But if the weight different is more then just a couple pounds I'll just make these my race wheels.

Remember the M and H are not the same 325 of a MT.

Can you explain this better?

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

well i have only run the mt et street radial but i really liked them and had good luck with them at the track , now for daily driving nope wouldn't even try it id imagine you could but you better be super careful

as far as the m&h alot of people have had great luck with these but i personally have never used them and these would be better for a dd also

so all in all if it were me id run the m&h

i went with the et streets due to the fact it upped my gear ratio when i was n/a but will be investing in some m&h's here shortly to do the opposite

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I have been running M&Hs on the street now for the past 18K miles, and I love them. They hook suprisingly well on the street (especially once warm), and I got about 10K miles out of my last pair. I have never used them at the track, but plenty of other guys have. In fact, psfracer (Paul) has 60-foots in the 1.4 range on them.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
I have been running M&Hs on the street now for the past 18K miles, and I love them. They hook suprisingly well on the street (especially once warm), and I got about 10K miles out of my last pair. I have never used them at the track, but plenty of other guys have. In fact, psfracer (Paul) has 60-foots in the 1.4 range on them.

that sounds promising. manual/auto? What rpm is he launching at? turbo/n20/sc?

Any opinions on running the m&h skinnies on my fronts versus running some sumitomo 205/50/17s for street use?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
that sounds promising. manual/auto? What rpm is he launching at? turbo/n20/sc?

Any opinions on running the m&h skinnies on my fronts versus running some sumitomo 205/50/17s for street use?
Both Paul and I have autos, and twin screws w/4.10s. Unless I'm mistaken, he was launching from an idle and letting the converter flash.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
Josh Auto is where it is at!

bah...blasphme....I WILL have a 9 second manual! I know you say it cant be done, but I say theres nothing you cant accomplish by throwing money at it. Whens your car going to be finished? If you still want to buy those lightweight 20s I have, they will still be around when I get back.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, thats true. I have had extremely good luck with the M&H's, lifting the wheels and have very low 1.4X 60' times. In fact almost in the 1.3s with a 1.412 60'.

Twin screw, 3300 rpm stall, 4.10s, leaving off idle. Check these out:

CASpeedway5.jpg

CASpeedway4web.jpg

Barona10web.jpg

CASpeedway1059web-1.jpg

CASpeedway6web.jpg

IMGA0322.jpg

Baronasixtyfoot3.jpg

Baronasixtyfoot2.jpg

AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE----as it fits in this thread nicely---look how these tires work:

MHweb.jpg

I have heard very good things about the M/T 325/50/15 also. I believe JDM 60' a 1.317 on those tires while carrying the wheels a good 30 feet.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back