Oil pump failure

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
I don’t think I have any top end damage because it never really ran when this happened. I started to hear noise. I was in a parking lot going 3 miles an hour immediately pulled into a spa and had a towed home. I’ll be going Ford racing OEM for the entire timing kit. I’ll be doing the boundary pump in a steer, crank pulley.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
What makes you grind the ratchet mechanism off?
The ratchet locks and does not retract. When banging gears or bumping the rev limiter the chains can over tighten and will never relax. The excess tension tares up the guides. That’s why the ratchets were eliminated in the first place. If you remove the teeth the tensioner still has spring pressure and works hydraulically like it is supposed to. You can also use the plastic Ford tensioner that has no ratchet and back it up with a gasket from Fel-Pro. Best of both worlds.

SVT Rider

Reaction score
I don’t think I have any top end damage because it never really ran when this happened. I started to hear noise. I was in a parking lot going 3 miles an hour immediately pulled into a spa and had a towed home. I’ll be going Ford racing OEM for the entire timing kit. I’ll be doing the boundary pump in a steer, crank pulley.
That Ford Performance timing kit is a good kit, and it was the best price for the components to refresh the timing system at the time when I did it. This kit does include another set of these plastic tensioners that are known to blow out their seals. I was thinking about doing RTV when I installed them, but I figured I would give the seals another go...if there was a FelPro seal like someone mentioned, that would be a worthy investment, especially if you have a higher pressure oil pump in mind.

I have an oil pressure gauge in my setup that I watch for signs of failed seals at hot idle oil pressure (should be around 30psi hot idle). At the time when I replaced my blown tensioners the oil pressure was 12-17psi hot, using the OEM spec'd 5w-20 oil.

Hopefully those seals are a good portion, if not 100%, of your oil pressure loss. Also, good find on the broken guide...looks like all the pieces where it broke were accounted for and not stuck in the pickup tube mesh. Best of luck getting the oil pressure back!

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You have 150K on the engine. Check the lash adjusters and cam followers for sighs of ware and slop. remove the front cam caps and inspect the bearing surface. All places oil can be lost. The phasers loose oil when warn. It all adds up.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
The ratchet locks and does not retract. When banging gears or bumping the rev limiter the chains can over tighten and will never relax. The excess tension tares up the guides. That’s why the ratchets were eliminated in the first place. If you remove the teeth the tensioner still has spring pressure and works hydraulically like it is supposed to. You can also use the plastic Ford tensioner that has no ratchet and back it up with a gasket from Fel-Pro. Best of both worlds.
I see what you’re saying, but I don’t know if I totally agree. Ford had the ratchets out for a very short period of time. The plastic tensioners are failure prone, not just from the gaskets, but the body also.

The coyote tensioners have the ratchet mechanism and an iron body.

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
Can i use the coyote tensioner? I cant find the metal body tensioner. I already ordered the felpro gaskets for them. $11 on amazon

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah I am researching this now since I know I will do this to my 05’ GT 120k miles… It looks like Sean Holland (module ford guru) recommends grinding the teeth down to prevent over stretching the chain and keeping constant tension on the cams at high RPM shifts… with the teeth mild off the tensioner can expand and contract as appropriate.

Again, I am reading up and learning how this works, so don’t take it as scripture or kill the messenger. Lol

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
Awesome, so i can get the 2v tensioner. Im not supercharged, so the ford racing kit has the upgraded ones and i use the felpro gaskets. I should be good. I have a spare block i am building for a supercharged setup. So dont need this one ironclad, just back to relaible.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
The coyote tensioners have the ratchet mechanism and an iron body.
If this is true, then this info seals the deal for me concerning this 3V............I'll be going w\ the 4.6L 2V iron tensioners myself (already have them in hand).

I'll find out if all this is real or a red herring...............

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
Let me know, i can tell ya i had the front apart with tiking cover off in under an hr in a cold garage. Remove the fan, much more room to work.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
If this is true, then this info seals the deal for me concerning this 3V............I'll be going w\ the 4.6L 2V iron tensioners myself (already have them in hand).

I'll find out if all this is real or a red herring...............
I just threw away my gen 1 coyote tensioners. I’ll see if I’ve got a picture of my current coyote tensioners.

Or just look up the tensioners for a boss 302.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
You’ll have to zoom in to see them, I don’t have a close up of them. On one picture, you can see the ratchet. On the other picture, you can see the hole where you release the teeth to compress it. 1000000422.jpeg1000000545.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back