Plasma Transferred Wire Arc

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
OK,

Forgive me if this has been discussed in a previous thread, but, I was having a discussion with a buddy about the new cylinder lining in the 5.0.

Since Ford is using this new patented Plasma Transferred Wire Arc technology for its cylinder liners, what is this going to mean for those who will eventually blow their motors? If you throw a rod or burn a piston or any number of other fubar'ed things that can go wrong, it will invariably lead to a scored piston bore wall no?

Given that they are not using pressed-in liners, does this mean that the block would become a nice paperweight? I assume for minor scoring you could hone the liners out a bit, but if you can't press in new liners does this mean you are going to have to shell out for a new shortblock?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry that this does not answer your question in any way or form, but I thought this technology has only been implemented in the 2011 Shelby GT500 so far concerning Ford vehicles(I know it was used in the Nissan GT-R too though). If it is also utilized within the 5.0's engine block, interesting information. :)

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Sorry that this does not answer your question in any way or form, but I thought this technology has only been implemented in the 2011 Shelby GT500 so far concerning Ford vehicles(I know it was used in the Nissan GT-R too though). If it is also utilized within the 5.0's engine block, interesting information. :)

No worries, it is my understanding that all 'Coyote' designated blocks are already using this lining process, and yes the GT-R did use this technology as well under 'loan' from Ford.

Read this link. The article states that it can be applied while rebuilding older aluminum engines. It seems like it's going to work if the engine gets scored cylinder walls...cool!

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/06/03...ck-coating-sy/

Nice find, that is interesting. Wonder what it would cost to have a block re-lined that way and who would already be set-up to do a job like that. I can't imagine many shops have this technology on hand as of yet.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
No worries, it is my understanding that all 'Coyote' designated blocks are already using this lining process, and yes the GT-R did use this technology as well under 'loan' from Ford.

Nice find, that is interesting. Wonder what it would cost to have a block re-lined that way and who would already be set-up to do a job like that. I can't imagine many shops have this technology on hand as of yet.

Thank you for the clarification on this subject, very cool stuff to know. I might've read about it in MM&FF's 5.0 article and forgot.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Thanks Natural1, thats pretty cool.

So, that means there are select companies who can already repair damage to these walls. Might be a really nice boost in revenue for these guys with such a mass produced vehicle using the process now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back