Post up you drag brake set up (all in one thread)

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Installing the Strange fronts now, i can see where you had to cut off the caliper tabs Matt D, im going to do that now and then tap new 3/8-24 holes for the new caliper bolts. It's not nearly as difficult as i thought it would be... Ill post pictures up when im finished, prob. tomarrow b/c im going to do the SLP linelock as well.

Brandon

spyder7724

Reaction score
8.8's are very strong up to a point. the biggest issue i've seen is them actually bending or twisting the axle tubes if not welded or braced properly (high HP or stick shift cars) and i've seen one break the center section. other than that i think they are super strong and i do remember an article way back where evan smith swapped out the 8.8 in his stock eliminator car for a 9" and the 9" was heavier also due to the pitch of the gears it takes less power to turn an 8.8 vs. a 9" thats why they make an alum. 9" center section that accepts 8.8 gears (also make one that accepts 12 bolt chevy gears as well)
IMO reasons to swap in a 9": gear ratio selection is insane for 9", NO C CLIPS !!!, new and used parts are cheap and easy to find, swapping gears is way easier than an 8.8
lastly no question the 9" stronger.
you just have to ask; is it worth the money to swap it in and change driveshafts, brakes and everything else needed.
for me maybe since i've got to buy axles,spool,brakes and gears anyway but then there's nothing wrong with my setup other than i need to ditch the c clips and stock axles (10.99 and quicker must have aftermarket axles and no c-clips).

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
Nope - if you are going to be street driving quite a bit, then I still think the stock brakes with ss lines, drilled rotors, and hawk pads are the best possible choice to run a 15" drag wheel.

I never had a problem stopping my car on the stock brakes at 140+ mph...:idea:

That's exactly what I run:
Stock Calipers
SS Lines
Drilled Rotors
Hawk Pads

And I run 15" Jegs rims

:highfive:

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Got the Strange front brakes on, with new lines/fittings. Also threw a SLP line lock on while i was at it. Install was very simple. Matt Ds thread helped me with tapping new 3/8-16 holes and cutting the old caliper ears off of the hub. Heres a few pics of them...

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

Brandon

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
I took the car out today to test the Strange front brake kit out. I like it but i noticed a humming sound when coming to a complete stop,just wondering if this is normal for new brakes......?

Also has anyone ever warped a rotor on the street being there so thin? I know there meant for Drag racing only... J/w if some of you guys ever use them on the street.

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited:

GI Joe

Reaction score
I took the car out today to test the Strange front brake kit out. I like it but i noticed a humming sound when coming to a complete stop,just wondering if this is normal for new brakes......?

Also has anyone ever warped a rotor on the street being there so thin? I know there meant for Drag racing only... J/w if some of you guys ever use them on the street.

Thanks,
Brandon

whats the pedal feel with this kit..

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Brandon
I have the aerospace drag kit on the front of my car and I drive it on the street all the time. mine are drilled only and when I press them sometines it sounds like a sacada bug or a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. Mine are doing good as far as warping, and I have got them so hot once they cought on fire lol

1246590463.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I read through all of this thread, as I have strange brakes front and rear. Below I copied and pasted a post I made some time ago in my Kama Kaase thread with regards to the weight difference between the 9 inch and 8.8. You may be surprised:

Guess what I got today?

A BBA 9+ rearend from Currie! 35 spline axles and a 35 spline spool. I measured everything before taking it out of the box and it looks to be exactly correct. Won't know for sure though until this weekend when I put it in.

CurrieRearend.jpg

Something very interesting and surprising! I weighed the 8.8 rearend as I am shipping that off to Zman, so I needed to know the weight. With a detroit locker, moser axles, the thicker aluminum cover, 3 inch studs, with fluid, it came to 190lbs.

Now, I weighed the 9+ Currie. Granted it has a spool, which is lighter, and it had no fluid, but this thing does have 35 spline axles where the 8.8 has 31. It weighed 185lbs. Checked it twice. Who knew?

CurrieAxle.jpg

CurrieStrange1350Yoke.jpg

CurrieUCAmount.jpg

Zmans rearend:
ZmansRearend.jpg

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
I took the car out today to test the Strange front brake kit out. I like it but i noticed a humming sound when coming to a complete stop,just wonderin

whats the pedal feel with this kit..

Its not bad at all, I actualy had a bad shimmy in my steering wheel whem hitting the OEM brakes, now I have no vibrations with the Strange setup.
Sent from my Droid

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Currie has a 9 inch rearend direct replacement for our cars, with the ABS rings on the axles--so everything still works. On my particular set up I did get rid of it, yes.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Paul, I must of skipped that somehow in your thread ?

Will currie shorten the rear end if asked? I need to figure out my next move.... I was thinking racecraft or strange... Someone just came out with a billet 9" can't remember who it was not..

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
9" rearend

Well I read through all of this thread, as I have strange brakes front and rear. Below I copied and pasted a post I made some time ago in my Kama Kaase thread with regards to the weight difference between the 9 inch and 8.8. You may be surprised:

Guess what I got today?

A BBA 9+ rearend from Currie! 35 spline axles and a 35 spline spool. I measured everything before taking it out of the box and it looks to be exactly correct. Won't know for sure though until this weekend when I put it in.

CurrieRearend.jpg

Something very interesting and surprising! I weighed the 8.8 rearend as I am shipping that off to Zman, so I needed to know the weight. With a detroit locker, moser axles, the thicker aluminum cover, 3 inch studs, with fluid, it came to 190lbs.

Now, I weighed the 9+ Currie. Granted it has a spool, which is lighter, and it had no fluid, but this thing does have 35 spline axles where the 8.8 has 31. It weighed 185lbs. Checked it twice. Who knew?

CurrieAxle.jpg

CurrieStrange1350Yoke.jpg

CurrieUCAmount.jpg

Zmans rearend:
ZmansRearend.jpg

I told you guys last year the currie 9" is lighter than the stock 8.8,not by much,but its a helluva lot better of an rearend than the 8.8.Mine has a spool & 35 spline axles as well.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
9" rearend

Currie has a 9 inch rearend direct replacement for our cars, with the ABS rings on the axles--so everything still works. On my particular set up I did get rid of it, yes.

I told currie to put the abs ring on anyway,even though i have a spool & the traction control is off in the pcm.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
9" rearend

Thanks for the info Paul, I must of skipped that somehow in your thread ?

Will currie shorten the rear end if asked? I need to figure out my next move.... I was thinking racecraft or strange... Someone just came out with a billet 9" can't remember who it was not..

Currie will do whatever you want Matt,Moser have had a billet 9" for sometime,its a nice piece,but i hate Moser like my ex wife,they both said one thing & did another.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I messaged Racecraft about their pro lite rear end to see if are going to make one for the 3 link

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
Mark,
You mean to tell me that there were no adapters available to adapt the stock lines to the new calipers?

SJM Manufacturing has a braided line kit to use the strange calipers with the stock lines for ~$70. They don't list it on their website but if you call them they will set you up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back