Power cutoff for Shaker 500

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I wanted to cut power to the Shaker to help reduce battery drain during long periods of down time for the car. I checked the manual and found "Fuse #20, Radio (Start)" located at the upper right corner in the footwell fuse panel. Pulled, thought I was good. Come back a month later battery is almost dead. Get jumped, wtf do you know radio works JUST fine with the fuse still pulled.

Further search of the manual shows "Fuse/relay #56, Radio, SDARS" in the underhood Power Distribution Box, dead center, far inboard side. Ive found out that the "SDARS" is the sat radio shit. I dont have that.

Will pulling this have the effect I want? Killing power to the Shaker so it doesnt keep the clock powered thus providing a drain?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC it's the amps that drain the batter, if there is a fuse for the amps alone I would target that, hope it helps

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Just curious, but wouldn't a cheap trickle charger from Walmart be alot easier? I have one on my car, lawnmower, and had one on my motorcycle when I had it and my batteries lasted WAAAAaaaaay beyond their expected life. Batteries lose their charge from just sitting even with no pull on them.

Walmart trickle charger FTW!

I've got THESE on my batteries and they work like a champ!!!

Last edited:

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
I agree, go trickle charger. I had the same issue where the battery would last for only 3 weeks before it's dead... now I never worry.. just plug it in when you are not going to drive it. Only pain would be if you dont have it garaged. Also, you can always see if there is a drain on the battery or if it's fully charged.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Didn't someone determine that it was the theft deterrent motion sensors draining people's batteries?

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC it's the amps that drain the batter, if there is a fuse for the amps alone I would target that, hope it helps

Yes there is. I thought of that. Regardless, the head unit is taking power to keep the clock running.

Didn't someone determine that it was the theft deterrent motion sensors draining people's batteries?

Shit, didnt think of that.

I just disconnect my battery.

Thats a major drag. I do that with the Torino but then I dont drive it at all. Doing that with the GO would keep resetting the KAM and forcing it to "relearn" every time.

Yes, Ive thought of a trickle charger. Perhaps at some point Ill do that. I only have one freakin outlet in the garage, however. Ive got a standard battery charger.

Last edited:

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
Falcon, I'm looking at the service manual for my '05 (Section 415-00-1, Entertainment system), and it references the following:

Bussed electrical center (BEC) fuses:
- 5 (30A) luggage compartment amplifiers
- 8 (30A) luggage compartment amplifiers
- 14 (30A) door amplifiers

I need to look into this. The '05 I picked up this spring is sitting in the garage with a completely dead battery, and I'm wondering if it's because of the amp drain... I'm going to look into the anti-theft motion sensors too (just need to find it in the manual).

*edited to add passive anti-theft system fuse info (Section 419-01B-3):

Smart junction box (SJB) fuse 19 (5A)
Bussed electrical center (BEC) fuse 68 (20A)

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well Ive got Active Anti Theft. And sure, that could cause a drain. But the Shaker is never used. And keeping the clock powered HAS to be a drain so I just want to kill power to it. If I ever want to use it then it "should" be a simple thing to put the fuse/relay back in place.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Why not run a battery cut off switch. Since of my tuner friends do this on their track only cars. Just pull out the "key" to the switch bam no more power.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not run a battery cut off switch. Since of my tuner friends do this on their track only cars. Just pull out the "key" to the switch bam no more power.

That has the same effect as actually disconnecting the battery, right? Thus, as I mentioned before, that wipes the KAM and the car has to relearn every time.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
One outlet

+

power_board.jpg

+

0002666670717_300X300.jpg

=

SmilingBob+with+coffee.jpg

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Or you can but a memory saver. at my job we use this just incase any anti-theft stuff would get lost when we install batteries.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
/\ ? What is this? And how does it work? Im talking about the car PCM memory.

It proves a 12v source to the battery trough the cig lighter I am not sure if mustangs have a live cig lighter when the key is out. The higher end ones connect to the obo2 slot.

Last edited:
Back