Race video - American Iron

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
This past weekend was the infamous Hyperfest event that NASA-MidAtlantic puts on at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia. I race an 05 chassis with a small block stroker engine in the American Iron division, which runs in the Thunder race group. We had 11 AI cars signed up for the race, and the weather was forecast to be perfect all weekend. The video is from Sunday's race, and I was looking forward to a good outing after a frustrating day on Saturday. I'd run some pretty quick times during practice Friday morning, so I knew the car was good. I had a disappointing race in April, having to bow out early when my fuel pump quit on Saturday, the racing in heavy rain on Sunday.... so was looking forward to a good weekend. I'd swapped the rear gears from 3.73's to 3.90s' and that definitely helped the car get off the corners.

Sunday Race - April 2013

My lap times on Saturday morning were a full second and a half quicker than my April times...

But the frustration continued on Saturday. On the second hot lap of qualifying I broke a rocker arm and got towed in after a single hot lap. That lap was fast enough to put me in 5th position for the race so I wasn't too upset. At the start of the race I got up to 3rd when another driver missed a shift, but a bone headed move by me led to minor contact with another car at the first turn, and I stalled my car. By the time I got it going again I had dropped back in the field. I made it up to 4th and was setting up to pass the car in front for 3rd when my upper radiator hose blew off and coated my windshield and tires with water. Nothing like losing grip on the tires going into a heavy braking zone at 135mph. Anyway that ended my Saturday race.

Sunday the weather was perfect and I laid down some of the fastest laps during qualifying that I've ever run at SP main - 1:21:56 was my quickest time. This was only my 3rd weekend racing this car, and I'd finally gotten it as fast as my old fox. I had added some weight to the rear of the car (and added horsepower by removing my restrictor plate) so my car was now at ~365 rwhp. Adding the weight gave me nearly perfect balance, with 51% nose weight, 49% tail weight, and nearly equal cross-weights. The car felt great, and it was easy to toss around. It had been over a year since I'd started a race on the front row and I was stoked...

Anyway, the video is from Sunday's race... It doesn't go as planned. I get hit hard in the rear going into the opening turn as a light rain started to fall. It quickly goes downhill from there.... Same driver responsible for both hits. Significant damage front and rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYy1hCdfHV8

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

Embedded.

That SUCKS. So I guess you are left holding the bag on the damage. Great.

I'd make that fucker pay though. One way or another.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Divebomb... Went in too hot on the brakes, and couldn't hug the apex. Per the rules, he could only expect 3/4 carwidth to play in at apex, and after he locked up the fronts (you can hear them go), it was game over. Not that it helps, but I would bet that he got a DQ, and possibly a sanction for overdriving...

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, major divebomb. That's the second video I've seen of bad behavior at this last hyperfest. Did they look at at your video for the incident report? Looks like 100% his fault.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Yeah, major divebomb. That's the second video I've seen of bad behavior at this last hyperfest. Did they look at at your video for the incident report? Looks like 100% his fault.

This, I saw the video from the Spec E30 on another forum (of which I think the guy who got punished got screwed hard core for something he had very little ability to control...) but do we know if this guy got anything for his stupid actions?

Hunter, I'm glad you are ok though! Cars can be rebuilt, regardless of how frustrating and expensive it is, but we can't replace you!

The upside is that photo in the dark is fucking badass! :)

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
This, I saw the video from the Spec E30 on another forum (of which I think the guy who got punished got screwed hard core for something he had very little ability to control...)

Yeah, not to sound like I am being biased but that was a very close friend of mine. The guy that didn't get punished is getting hammered socially for what he is saying was not his fault. This AI accident is clearly a dive bomb incident.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back