Rebuild 8.8 inside info please

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
I went with the carbon clutch kit from AM.$104 shipped ( which I'm guessing is what I'm the gt500 diff )

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a new Shelby diff for $179. I'm tempted to go have the case and spyder gears cryo treated and add an extra fiber disc. Also ordered a 4.56 =) I'm coming for ya Armycook!

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
Lol ok john. I'm always having issues.I have a agenda I got to get to done then set up transport it to chattanoga

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
just a little up date....

pulled the diff out and turns out my spider gears are broke aswell.. just ordered new ones from tousley

BROK3N

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It's too bad, I have a diff for sale that just needs new clutch packs. It's cheap too.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I was doing the one wheel peel at the track Friday night. About 100-120 passes on this rear end. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the Truetrac instead of just replacing the clutches. Looks like they just had a price increase but I found it for $432 with free shipping on Amazon. Added the install kit for another $50 or so, should have everything I need except fluids. My track buddy owns a transmission shop and one of his mechanics is very good with rebuilding rear ends so I'll have him do the swap for me.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
quick question on noise from rear end would a failing clutch pack in the trac lok cause whomping sound when you are decelerating?

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
skwrel,
yeah no telling how many passes i had on this... alot of abuse for a stock 8.8 t-lok
this is my first one ive done ever nd i have a buddy whose done several and he coaching me thru it so far i would save the money and do it your self if you can

Last edited:

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
no pro but the whopin could be bearings.. my truck had that sound and i trashed several bearings thru out the axle

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Did the clutch pack replacement today. What a pita. It would have been easier I think with the differential carrier taken out of the car, lol, but I did it still bolted in. Had to, like if taking out the carrier, remove the wheels and brakes and brackets and pull the axles out some, which I had done that plenty of times for gear installs.

There was a little bit of sideways slack in the axles before the pack replacement, and now they are a lot tighter. The clutches were worn with the ones against the shims to the carrier housing being the most worn, practically smooth!

This was after 4 years of hard racing and about 25k miles; last year my left rear tire was starting to spin only some of the time.
Also, when I originally built the rear end, the spyder gears were coated in orange. Most of that has now worn off, but everything looked good.

Getting that clock spring in and out was a real pita.

Now I have to live with the smell of rear end fluid and friction modifier for a day or two. Yuk. But, its done!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Stacked them like they were and as recommended sfssfsf.
I was considering doing an extra clutch ( sfsfsfsf ) but it didnt seem like it would fit well due to the increase in thickness. I was going to reuse the 2 best and least-worn clutches.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back