Removing fuel evap canister

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. So, I completely pulled all my evap equipment and everything's working great except for one thing: filling the tank. I can get about a 1/4 gallon in before the pump shuts off. I have a standard fuel breather valve from Autozone (like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac.../_/N-25xf?counter=2&itemIdentifier=309739_0_0_ on the passenger side tube for venting.

What breather are you guys running that's allow you to fill normally?

You need to vent the tank further up where it cannot get wet . Here is what I did. These are the pics I deleted from the earlier post in this thread.

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
is there a vent on the driver side of the gas tank that needs to be vented?

i want to do this as well....

looks like:
1)plug off the intake
2)remove the hoses and canister
3)run pass side vent hose to the gas filler neck
4)fix CEL in tune

am i missing anything?

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I too am going to remove the evap system crap from my car. I was told by another member that is all is needed is to vent it or in other words leave it open. No issues with gas smell and no gas spilling out if you clip the lines up high.

Then turn off the evap stuff in the tune.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
is there a vent on the driver side of the gas tank that needs to be vented?

i want to do this as well....

looks like:
1)plug off the intake
2)remove the hoses and canister
3)run pass side vent hose to the gas filler neck
4)fix CEL in tune

am i missing anything?
My car is an 05 and it has one vent on the pass side , and yes that is all you should need to do .

Hessian

forum member
Reaction score
Tune Changes?

What needs to be done in the tune for this? My tuner just made it so my
check engine light on the dash is disabled (I can still scan codes). Is that what you guys are doing?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
My car is an 05 and it has one vent on the pass side , and yes that is all you should need to do .

for now....i just have the pass side venting out, i removed the foam filter canister deal from the old canister and put it on the pass side vent tube so nothing can get up into the gas tank.

i was checking out my wifes on her 08 V6 and she actually already has one of those vent tubes going to the fill up hose like you installed on yours, so theres one option. get a 08+ fill up hose and it will already have that hose connected to the fill up hose!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
for now....i just have the pass side venting out, i removed the foam filter canister deal from the old canister and put it on the pass side vent tube so nothing can get up into the gas tank.

i was checking out my wifes on her 08 V6 and she actually already has one of those vent tubes going to the fill up hose like you installed on yours, so theres one option. get a 08+ fill up hose and it will already have that hose connected to the fill up hose!
Well thats about the way it goes for me, I do something custom and 6 mo. later someone finds a fac. built part that would have saved hrs.

Nice find though.

Hessian

forum member
Reaction score
What needs to be done in the tune for this? My tuner just made it so my
check engine light on the dash is disabled (I can still scan codes). Is that what you guys are doing?

Any details on the tune changes?

Found this for 03-04 Cobras, not sure what, if any, is applicable here.

Canister Vent Solenoid Threshold for P1451 - Set to 255
Canister Vent Threshold for P1451 - Set to 63.990
Tank Pressure Transducer High Error - Set to 63.990
Threshold for P0443 Code - Set to 63.990

Source:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...ow-to-properly-disable-in-the-tune!-IMPORTANT!

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead.

05stroker, can you repost the pics of your vent tube to fuel filler that you did?

Thanks

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Holy thread revival... All I did was cut it off at the tallest point and put a breather on it. No issues what so ever...

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
I unhooked the passenger side and left it open now my car, garage, and house smell like fresh 93oct.

Put a cap on it and went to get gas, $.34 later gas all on my shoe.

Went to Ford to get the 2009+ fuel filler neck, the guy said $230. Said f that and just left.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks bro.

Why did you have to drill through the trunk instead of just following the path of the fuel filler neck?

I remember you said something about it dipping down lower than the fill hole. What will happen if I just follow the filler line?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
If you don't keep that line higher then you will end up with fuel being stored in the line and then you have no vent

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Thanks bro.

Why did you have to drill through the trunk instead of just following the path of the fuel filler neck?

I remember you said something about it dipping down lower than the fill hole. What will happen if I just follow the filler line?
I don't recall, I just wanted the air flow higher then the gas flow as I remember.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I must add that with the way I did it, there was never any gas smell even with the extended months in my garage.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
I have one more question, wouldn't running a line from the vent tube to the filler neck just pressurize the tank still like capping the vent off? Or is the fuel filler cap vented some way?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back