RWHP with a Kenne Bell Stage 1

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I would guess the clutch is the culprit there. Those particular clutches are known for that. When you do swap transmissions, get a really good twin disc and you'll have a different experience.

I considered the clutch . . . except under that theory, the clutch is not fully disengaging. Right now, the engagement point is nice and high on the pedal. Even if that's not a conclusive indicator . . . another point is that I have never had a grind, even at high RPMs and fast shifting. Seems to me that I'd be experiencing some grinds when really working the car over if there wasn't 100% disengagement. Thoughts?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I considered the clutch . . . except under that theory, the clutch is not fully disengaging. Right now, the engagement point is nice and high on the pedal. Even if that's not a conclusive indicator . . . another point is that I have never had a grind, even at high RPMs and fast shifting. Seems to me that I'd be experiencing some grinds when really working the car over if there wasn't 100% disengagement. Thoughts?

Wait until Sactown chimes in....

The Spec Stage 2 clutches were famous for shifting problems. They had good marketing and decent prices and never helped their customers solve all of their shifting issues.

It may not be your issue but most likely.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I considered the clutch . . .Thoughts?

I had a spec 3 for a short while. I hated it. I bought an Exedy Mach 500 and lightweight steel flywheel and liked it a lot. Then I decided to up the boost and bought a McLeod RST, also very nice but twice the cost of the Exedy.

If you want to try the Exedy, I'll sell it for half of new cost including shipping. It still looks very good, almost no wear on the disk. It only has 3500 miles on it. If you're interested, I can take pics. If not, thats cool too. I never had a spec 2 but many have had issues with them.

edit, I just looked up prices on American Muscle, $573 for the clutch, $365 flywheel = $938 total. I'd take $400 for both including shipping and paypal and a good used throwout bearing if you want one.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I had a spec 3 for a short while. I hated it. I bought an Exedy Mach 500 and lightweight steel flywheel and liked it a lot. Then I decided to up the boost and bought a McLeod RST, also very nice but twice the cost of the Exedy.

If you want to try the Exedy, I'll sell it for half of new cost including shipping. It still looks very good, almost no wear on the disk. It only has 3500 miles on it. If you're interested, I can take pics. If not, thats cool too. I never had a spec 2 but many have had issues with them.

edit, I just looked up prices on American Muscle, $573 for the clutch, $365 flywheel = $938 total. I'd take $400 for both including shipping and paypal and a good used throwout bearing if you want one.

Thanks, but I don't have the expertise to install myself, or I might consider experimenting. I do have access to a lift, and I'd love to learn. But, would need a coach.

Once you factor in labor, I'd be at $800-1200 to experiment . . . and what I'm feeling may or may not just be the nature of the transmission. So, I have to consider $1000ish to experiment in hopes of making a transmission better that is technically not robust enough to handle my power anyway, or pay $5k and get the Magnum and be good for whatever I throw at the car later.

If I went Magnum, I'd probably go with the RST. Scouring the forums, it seems to have the best feedback . . . .

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats fine. I need to make a for sale ad instead of trying to sell in someone else's thread anyway.

The 3650 is not the bad transmission that some make it out to be. And the magnum is not the end-all, be-all transmission either. I ran the 3650 with boost for a long time and never had any issues. If you improve the motor mounts and the shifter, it works well.

The magnum is over priced in my opinion. I kept my eye out and eventually found a 6 speed from a wrecked GT500. Typical used price is from $1000 to $1500 and they are plenty strong enough for any street car.

And the RST is a nice clutch. But it is pricey.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
So, right now, I have the TR3650 with a new Spec Stage 2 clutch and MGW shifter.

I literally have never had a grind. But, the required shift "effort" in every gear is higher than I like. It slows shifts when trying to go fast and makes just the general driving experience, even when only putzing around, less enjoyable.

Based on my personal experience ( and what others have posted) it is 100% your Specs II clutch. I had the exact same issues you are having, replaced multiple throw out bearings, even tried the McLeod throw out bearing, install the CHE torque limiter, solid motor mounts and even different shifters, nothing fixed the issue. That clutch is junk, don't waste your time trying to fix it. I replaced that clutch with an RST twin disc every shifting problem was gone instantly.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Based on my personal experience ( and what others have posted) it is 100% your Specs II clutch. I had the exact same issues you are having, replaced multiple throw out bearings, even tried the McLeod throw out bearing, install the CHE torque limiter, solid motor mounts and even different shifters, nothing fixed the issue. That clutch is junk, don't waste your time trying to fix it. I replaced that clutch with an RST twin disc every shifting problem was gone instantly.

Sent you a message . . .

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Thats fine. I need to make a for sale ad instead of trying to sell in someone else's thread anyway.

The 3650 is not the bad transmission that some make it out to be. And the magnum is not the end-all, be-all transmission either. I ran the 3650 with boost for a long time and never had any issues. If you improve the motor mounts and the shifter, it works well.

The magnum is over priced in my opinion. I kept my eye out and eventually found a 6 speed from a wrecked GT500. Typical used price is from $1000 to $1500 and they are plenty strong enough for any street car.

And the RST is a nice clutch. But it is pricey.
It is pricey but really, the cost is very justified.

Of all the after market clutches it has rarely been complained about.

And I agree about the 3650. I best the absolute post out of mine and it lasted and lasted I still have it, taking up room in my shed...

Back