**s197 faulty airbag!**

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Some of you may had seen my other thread but I figured I would start this one now that we know its a sure thing that the RCM was faulty and is what caused this...So far I am the only one who has sent off the RCM for analysis...

056fd075.jpg

5bd8adbb.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG.jpg

So this all happend exactly a month ago while leaving my local cars and coffee (San Antonio) I was getting on the highway had just shifted from 2nd to 3rd and BOOM the airbag deployed with no impact or anything...So I called the stealership (Jordan Ford) bunch of slap dicks and retards BTW....! They tell me to bring it in on Mon and they will see what they can do for me...Knowing the car is obviously out of warranty...Well after fighting with them for weeks I pick the car up and have the RCM sent off to a 3rd party company to have the Data pulled off to show there was no collision and something was wrong with this restraint system...Sure enough I get a call back from Airbag Systems INC. saying it is a FAULTY RCM and the RCM doesn't even know the car is equipped with side airbags...Ford is telling me that if I were not the 2nd owner they would cover it even though it is out of warranty...What kind of B/S is that?? So now im just doing the deed of passing on the word so everyone can be informed and be careful that ford doesn't care that they have FAULTY/UNSAFE "safety" equipment in there car and they don't care...I have found 4 others that have had this identical issue happen to them same bag deployed everything....Also found that they have changed P/n's 4 different times since my 2005 production date...Obviously there is a issue and they know but aren't giving a single F&*k...If you guys know of anyone else that has had a similar incident pleas PM me...

I have filed with a complaint with NHTSA...and hope anyone else who has had this issue would too!

Here is a video of another guy I found with the same issue....

b's stang

forum member
Reaction score
That sucks man. I'm starting to wonder if every single ford dealership is full of fucking idiots. They never want to replace/repair shit and always find away to say that you voided the warranty with whatever you put on. Sorry about what happened man.

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
Out of warranty or not, I thought safety devices fell under the same 10 year 100,000 mile warranty as emissions.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
what year was your car? the early models had a recall for the RCM which included a reprogramming of the SRS/RCM. if you did not get the recall, then your def SOL as it was on you to bring it to Ford.

call your local dealer and tell them to run oasis on the car and see if it comes back with any open recalls. if it does, and they had the vehicle before and did not complete the recall then it is on them, and then you may have a case on your hands. 2nd owner or not, a recall is a government required safety action that must be performed by any dealer.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Car is a 2005 I was the 2nd owner bought it from a older guy in College Station with 5k miles on it... So it wasn't bought from a dealer but it has been to dealership since then though...car was at dealership for 2 weeks do I would assume they would have ran oasis but then again they were a bunch of dumbshits... I will try and call and find out!

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
yes, if they did not perform the recall then its on the dealership. if it was not done, and the verhicle was released, then it was a direct violation of the law. get the oasis report, get a lawyer, get past info/bill from the time car was at the dealership when it was not completed.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Ok we spoke with the dealership the original owner bought the car from/ had it services at in 2007 when we bought it from the individual...

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. I really hope everything gets taken care of and you don't have to spend any money. I've heard of airbags deploying while hitting potholes and stuff (happened to my brother when he slammed into a curb in his Tahoe), but just randomly deploying is just scary.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
makes me want to install a new RCM in my car before it happens.....whats the cost of the module.. does anyone know?

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Ok we spoke with the dealership the original owner bought the car from/ had it services at in 2007 when we bought it from the individual...

Oasis is Fords system that will show all recalls and warranty work that has been performed, forgive me if you knew this. Kevin is saying to go to any Ford dealership with you VIN and ask them to run the number thru the system. The system will say if your VIN has any recalls open, slim chance Jordan Ford missed this but it doesn't hurt to try again.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Jordan ford is a bunch of idiots... There aren't any open recalls but it did have a recall on the RCM that was addressed but from day one Jordan ford told me there were NEVER any recalls associated with my vin/RCM... Bill Knight Ford in Tulsa,OK the dealership that performed the recall back in 07 is trying to work something out with ford for me and agreed that Jordan Ford down here in SATX dropped the ball and in return pretty much screwed me out of getting any help due to there laziness/lack of knowledge.... Been waiting for 3 weeks to hear from the general manager at Jordan Ford to return my call... The whole Jordan ford is a absolute JOKE!!!!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hopefully you get taken care of.

I had a Volk Jetta (2006) that was out of warranty, and VW actually bought it back from me a few months ago due to a faulty airbag. They gave me book value (NADA Clean Retail) + any and all money I put down on the car (down payment + ALL payments made) and maintenance I have done to it (refund). It turned out to be a great deal.

Anyhow, keep us updated!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back