Saleen S/C's and High Air Inlet Temps

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am using Saleen gauge as well. It is only 60-70 degrees here in Colorado right now, and I do have a larger than stock intercooler tank which gives me a little more capacity. I'll be curious to see the AI temps once the heat really hits here.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the stock location?
The stock location interferes with my brake duct cooling. I have the Shebly Brake duct/fog light kit and with the h/e in the stock location I can't use the brake ducts. If I move it up to the 2010 location that would let me use the ducts for open track days etc. Plus I had to insulate the hose coming out of the h/e as it sat against the fog light and developed a small hole which if not discovered could have been bad. So moving it helps me alleviate a couple of small issues.

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
The stock location interferes with my brake duct cooling. I have the Shebly Brake duct/fog light kit and with the h/e in the stock location I can't use the brake ducts. If I move it up to the 2010 location that would let me use the ducts for open track days etc. Plus I had to insulate the hose coming out of the h/e as it sat against the fog light and developed a small hole which if not discovered could have been bad. So moving it helps me alleviate a couple of small issues.

ahh gotcha. Im going to be running brake ducts as well but since I have the Saleen front, it has enough room around it.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They've had that out for awhile, unless the 2010 is different. I'm waiting for the one posted in this thread that's bigger but still bolts at the same location.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I took my Canton tank that was made for a GT500 and had it cut down in height by 1 1/4 inches to clear my hood and the Saleen Extreme CAI. Even with it being cut down it still is almost twice as much capacity as the stocker. In addition I added the AFCO H/E which gives me even more capacity.

Last edited:

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was cruising ebay a few weeks back and found a brand new one for $365 delivered.

As far as having the tank modified. I took it to a shop that specializes in all types of metal. Told them I needed to lose an 1 1/4 in height and they did the rest. Cost me $60 and another $40 to have the powder coating re-done. It fits now with my intake and under the hood with out touching. Gives me more capacity and it gets it away from the exhaust heat. With the ambient temps around 70 degrees my AIT are around 120-125 after a 3/4th gear WOT run. By the time I pull over the coolant temp in the tank is cool to the touch. At the drag strip the other night after a 1/4 mile run the AIT's were about the same. One thing I have noticed is that with the coolant pump and my wideband I can't leave the key on very long to circulate the water as it really pulls down my battery. I still have the original battery so maybe it is time to get a new one.

Looks good.....cut and weld?? Also where did you get your AFCO H/E at??

Last edited:

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
We should have the first larger unit very soon. I will keep you posted. If it fits I will post it up!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I took my Canton tank that was made for a GT500 and had it cut down in height by 1 1/4 inches to clear my hood and the Saleen Extreme CAI. Even with it being cut down it still is almost twice as much capacity as the stocker. In addition I added the AFCO H/E which gives me even more capacity.

Why did you need the tank cut to clear the hood? I had a canton GT500 tank there for 2+ years unmodified and it cleared the stock hood with no problem.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why did you need the tank cut to clear the hood? I had a canton GT500 tank there for 2+ years unmodified and it cleared the stock hood with no problem.

When I installed the Saleen Extreme CAI I had to move the tank to the right about 1 1/2 to 2 inches to clear the elbow. That caused the Intercooler cap to hit the hood. I ran the same tank with my C&L intake tube for over a year with out any issues. I wanted the 95mm volume of the Saleen over the 90mm FRP CAI and the Saleen system has a better (IMO) shroud to keep the warm engine air out. The plan is to eventually (with a built short block) turn up the boost, so I don't want any inlet restrictions.

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
did you not read the post RIGHT above yours? lol . its not available yet.

Sure I read it. Thats not the same tank they are talking about.

They are fabbing up a new one that will hold 3-4 times what the stock will.
That NEW one isnt available yet.....

The one he referenced is the same as the stock tank. Or have I been following this thread for nothing??

Barricade

Reaction score
Awesome.....Im patiently waiting!!!

but hurry.....Im gonna get approval for it
as a Birthday present so you gotta finish by July. :naughty1:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is worth the upgrade...

http://www.281motorsports.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=2230

IMG_9575.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

Barricade

Reaction score
Looks good for a Super Shaker.....but my intake wouldnt like sharing that spot.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
agreed, If I was running a shaker, I'd own that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back