Saleen S/C's and High Air Inlet Temps

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
At what IAT's does it start pulling timing?

140 degree IAT. I could be off but someone who knows more about tuning would probably know.

If you have a custom tune or a tuner that works with you, this number can be changed up or down if you desire.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
So today before I drained and removed the stock Saleen I/C reservoir I decided to perform some basic tests that could help determine the stock Saleen reservoirs rate of flow.

• Test #1: With the outlet hose that runs to the I/C pump still connected, I ran the return hose from the I/C into a bucket. With the assistance of my daughter to keep the reservoir full, I manually turned on the I/C pump and ran it for 1 minute. Total amount of coolant returned to the reservoir was 1.6 gallons.
  • Test#2: After removing the reservoir from the vehicle and prior to enlarging either port on the reservoir, I filled the reservoir to the top with water. I then drained the reservoir through the outlet passage that runs to the I/C pump. Time was 10 seconds.
I then proceeded to enlarge both ports on the reservoir to 5/8" (.625")
  • Test #3: I refilled the reservoir with water to the top and repeated test# 2. Time was 7 seconds - 30% faster. I also observed the coolant swirling as it drained rather than gulping/gurgling as the reservoir drained as in test# 2.
  • Test# 4: I reinstalled the reservoir in the vehicle and left the return hose from the I/C off so I could drain it into a bucket and perform Test# 1 again. In one minute 2.1 gallons of fluid returned to the reservoir. A definite improvement over test# 1.
Additional information: Today while I had the reservoir out of the vehicle I filled it to the correct level and measured the quantity of fluid it holds - 24 oz. I also observed the I/C pump is much quieter now and all of the bubbling/gurgling sounds the I/C pump used to make are completely gone. Unless you ran the I/C pump without the engine running I doubt this would have ever been noticed. While I can't prove this, I assume those were the sounds of the I/C pump cavitating rather than efficiently pump fluid. I also switched from a traditional worm gear type hose clamp to a hose clamp made for silicone hoses. I felt this type of clamp would provide a more consistent torque than the traditional hose clamps without over tightening the clamp and crushing the inlet/outlet ports on the reservoir.

Conclusion: Enlarging the ports on the stock Saleen reservoir does allow about 31% more fluid to flow through the I/C system. However, since I can't drive the vehicle and datalog IATs, I can't tell you that IATs have been reduced at all. This entire procedure may have been an academic waste of time and the 15 minutes it took you to read through this thread are 15 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

Here's some pics of the finished product

PS: before anyone asks, the switch in my reservoir turns the dual Spal H/E fans on/off.
100_1597.jpg

100_1596.jpg

100_1598.jpg

Last edited:

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was on their web site and they make several styles of stand alone 55gpm pumps. Thinking a new Steeda HE and a bigger pump maybe the way to go. This has been a great thread.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Is there any way to install a larger heat exchanger in the Saleen Supercharger manifold?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Is there any way to install a larger heat exchanger in the Saleen Supercharger manifold?

You mean intercooler. The heat exchanger is in front of the radiator

and the answer to your question is no one has done it so far

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the Canton battery box mounted resivour last December along with the Saleen Extreme dual fan heat exchanger. Waiting for spring to try it out.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the dimensions are of the inlet and outlet ports on this one, but they look much better, plus I would be worried about the plastic fittings cracking on the Saleen reservoir after hogging them out so much.

http://store.jpcracing.com/Fabricated-Aluminum-Saleen-Intercooler-Tank_p_1351.html

:2cents:

I only performed this experiment to determine if the reservoir was a restriction/bottle neck in the system and to see if enlarging the inlet/outlet ports on the reservoir would increase system flow. I have no intention of leaving this reservoir on the vehicle as was stated in the OP. I have a Canton battery box mounted reservoir on the way.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Last edited:

1SickRedfire

forum member
Reaction score
I only performed this experiment to determine if the reservoir was a restriction/bottle neck in the system and to see if enlarging the inlet/outlet ports on the reservoir would increase system flow. I have no intention of leaving this reservoir on the vehicle as was stated in the OP. I have a Canton battery box mounted reservoir on the way.

Yeah, I know...I was pointing it out for somone who may be thinking of doing this.

1SickRedfire

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't realize anyone made a replacement Saleen reservoir. I hope they made it a larger capacity as well as enlarging the inlet and outlet ports.

The capacity is the same...I wish they would have made it at least a little bigger. Kind of a shame to produce this and not increase the capacity while they were at it.

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I asked JP Racing if the inlet and outlets were bigger & they said:

It's is a exact replica. The inlets and outlets use the oem hose I believe the id is a hair bigger. We made this inital tank for show purposes and a better seal for the cap. The inlet and outlet really ins't the concern it's the volum of fluid with the designs of this system.

We are in the works for designing a larger tank with a fuel cell cap for more capacity.

I asked that they notify me when its available. Ill post it up when I get more info or when its available.

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
We are working on the larger tank now with the big opening. Your main concern is capacity. You can put a huge pump on it and pump the same little bit of fluid as fast as you want. Less fluid will boil quicker.

pics005.jpg

pics006.jpg

If any difference on this one I guess there is some. I knew we had the OEM copied I just couldn't remember how small the top hose was. So this is larger being it's aluminum.

Last edited:

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
The capacity is the same...I wish they would have made it at least a little bigger. Kind of a shame to produce this and not increase the capacity while they were at it.

The idea on this tank was a show piece replacement with better sealing. The larger tank isn't going to be easy that is why it's taking a little while. To really increase the capacity and use a fuel cell lid so you can do ice it needs a good bit of room. But we're looking forward to it.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Any plans of developing a replacement tank for the E-force??

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back