Saleen SC--Check Charging System Issue and Fix

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Starting getting the Check Charging System message the other day. Prevented me from taking my baby on a long road trip to Georgia.

Here is what is wrong and how to fix it:

1. Saleen uses crimp connectors for the wiring harness extension to the alternator. These connectors suck donkey dicks IMHO to put it mildly. Get any oil in them and they don't like it (oil is conductive and/or it can cause open circuits)! To fix this HARD SOLDER the connections with rosin core solder. Saleen needs to put this in their instruction manual.

2. Install an oil separator can. Saleen should include this in their kit! That way you won't have oil drippin out of the intake down onto your alternator and its connections, which BTW, started all this shit to begin with! I am fixing to install me one--BTW a parts list would be nice! :D

3. Credit Hawgman with this one: Clock your alternator counterclockwise (CCW) 120°. You can do this with the alternator on the car. This will move the connections to the right and get them away from any oil and also keep the CAI from rubbing on the wires. To clock your alternator with it on the car, disconnect the negative battery cable, and then hold onto the back case of the alternator firmly and push it toward the engine while you completely loosen those 3 long bolts that holds the alternator case together. Then while still holding the back of the case firmly, take a rubber mallet and persuade the back of the case to turn CCW until the 3 bolt holes align again, and then re-install the 3 bolts. Just be DAMN CAREFUL not to let the back of the alternator separate or you will have some fun putting the brushes back in!

4. Finally, check fuse #43 in the fuse box under the hood. Mine was blown from the wires shorting out as well! I used the fuse for the convertible top since I ain't got a convertible to start with!

Hope this helps for me first technical post on this nice new website!

Mikey

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn, you got it fixed before you even posted the problem! Nice...

The hacks that put my SC on didn't even bother with the extention to the positive cable and it was damn near too short. So I just replaced the entire thing.

As for the alternator clocking, I certainly can't take credit. That idea wasn't mine. I just followed suit and passed along the information. Well... all of it except the doing it on the car part. I took mine completely off to do it.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought about taking it off too, but then stopped and thought, well, since the guts of it spin around inside the case, why not just turn the case around the guts? It worked!

Old Emmet (my rubber hammer named after Emmet on Mayberry RFD--recall Emmet would get pissed and take a rubber hammer to stuff...) came in handy persuading it to turn! :D

Mike

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great info, I had been having charging issues with my battery before I deployed and I think you just solved the problem for me as every time I tested my battery it was good but kept loosing the charge.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ZmanM3 said:
every time I tested my battery it was good but kept loosing the charge.

If you have the "Shaker" audio system, be sure to turn it OFF before turing the ignition key off! Otherwise it will drain your battery!

Hope this helps.

Mike

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL that is another bad habit I have, it isn't an issue right now as the car is in GA and I am in Afghanistan, but I'll start turning the radio off before I turn off the car.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ZmanM3 said:
LOL that is another bad habit I have, it isn't an issue right now as the car is in GA and I am in Afghanistan, but I'll start turning the radio off before I turn off the car.

Hope you have a safe tour of duty! My hat is off to ya! :thumbsup:

Mike

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MikeVistaBlue06 said:
ZmanM3 said:

Hope you have a safe tour of duty! My hat is off to ya! :thumbsup:

Mike

Thanks, it hasn't been too bad so far, better then the 2 times I was in Iraq so far. :thumbsup:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back