Saleen SC question

Starfire

forum member
Reaction score
So I have the stage 2 kit from Brenspeed. Now do others with a Saleen SC have a bad lag/lug feeling when you are taking off and give it like 25% throttle? It's at that point where you give it enough gas to take off a bit faster but not quite enough to kick it down (Auto). It's really bad when cold, but gets better when up to temp, but always there.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I have the stage 2 kit from Brenspeed. Now do others with a Saleen SC have a bad lag/lug feeling when you are taking off and give it like 25% throttle? It's at that point where you give it enough gas to take off a bit faster but not quite enough to kick it down (Auto). It's really bad when cold, but gets better when up to temp, but always there.

Doesnt sound right for a Saleen supercharger. Do you have the stock converter in there?

I would definately contact Brent and get the tune fixed or have it dyno tuned by a GOOD tuner.

almach

Reaction score
I wish I could help but mine is a 5 speed and has had the stumble since new (when cold only), I had a NA tune from a great tuner, still had it, had Brenspeed put on the stage 2, still have it. I've learned to live with it. I know its not an answer but at least you know, you aren't the only one with the issue.

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
i have a saleen blower and i can tell you first hand that any stumbles, or hesitations, auto or stick should not be there and need to be tuned out.

My car is running a stroker motor, and 15 psi of boost with a 5 speed. ive had issues before with a tuner and hesitation, but i took it to JDM and they retuned it for me. Not only did there safe street tune put me over what the other guys tune was power wise, it was VERY VERY different, no hesitations, no bogging, nothing. It runs as good as stock, but with about 250 more horse power at the wheels.

Get it DYNO tuned, and tuned right, and you will be a lot happier

Starfire

forum member
Reaction score
Well it was tuned on Brenspeed's dyno, I even went back just last week for them to check it out, they said when cold it will do that, but even when warm you can feel it, it's not as bad but it's there.

I find it hard to believe that is normal in anyway shape or form, they also mentioned because I have the extreme intake with the saleen MAF that it might also cause that, again I figured I'd be getting a better unit with the saleen MAF over the stock, I didn't upgrade for power wise, just for the new unit and the look of the intake.

Mick

forum member
Reaction score
When I first had the dyno tuned by JDM, there was an issue with a little lag. Problem was fixed next time it was there. It was something in the tune, no big deal. That was almost three years ago. Problem never came back.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a wideband on the car? Is it leaning out when it is cold?

Starfire

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a wideband on the car? Is it leaning out when it is cold?

I do, and it's fine except when I see that lag, then it will show lean, now it's an analog gauge from speedhut hooked to a inovate lc1, of course they told me the guage responds slow, but this guage will jump very fast from lean to rich, I don't see where the response is slow.

Here is a vid I made a while back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb0bsIoimo

The same time the gauge jumps up is the same time I have the lag. Now I haven't had any pinging, so I start to wonder is it so rich it's reading lean due to unburnt fuel making for less oxygen.

Let me put it this way if I knew it was going to be like this, I might not have gone SCed instead I'd have some nice cams and heads, it's great when you get on it, but unfortunately I can't get on it everytime I take off. Also I've been to breenspeed twice now, while it's closer then some people, about 3 hours, it's still means a day off work. I went there since they are 'the best' and didn't want exactly what I have now, unexplained issues.

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think a different tune would make a world of difference

graygt07

forum member
Reaction score
try this call brenspeed and have them send you the tune "canned" tune that they would send to someone who was not able to get there car dyno'd and see if you still have the problem. If no hes. then it is in the tune.

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
Was the car up to temp when you made that video?

Mine sometimes stumbles and goes lean when the car isn't warmed up.
My solution thus far: Let it warm up...

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
mine had a stumble and lag before JDM retuned it for me, and it was every thing to do with transient fuel settings in the tune

Starfire

forum member
Reaction score
his problems sound just like mine right now. mine seems to bog at around 2k rpm's. could a exhaust leak cause this?

It's funny you say this, I had this thought also but I'd think it would have to be a pretty sever leak.

Being in Chicago area I'm not near JDM, but I know something has to be going on. I had originally thought it was a physical problem (Sensor, etc) but I don't think so and I've changed a few things. I have wondered if a BAP would help since the stage 2 kit doesn't include it.

Incredible Mr. E

forum member
Reaction score
It's funny you say this, I had this thought also but I'd think it would have to be a pretty sever leak.

Being in Chicago area I'm not near JDM, but I know something has to be going on. I had originally thought it was a physical problem (Sensor, etc) but I don't think so and I've changed a few things. I have wondered if a BAP would help since the stage 2 kit doesn't include it.

Starfire, I have the same set-up as you do and similiar problem where the car bogs toward 1800-2000 rpm or around 40 miles per hour - its great up to that point, bogs, then O.K. Now if I get on it, no problem?

Keep in touch and let me know if you are able to figure this thing out - I was thinking about taking the car to a local tuner (Houston area) but have not been able to find one on the level of a shop like JDM.

Starfire

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, you do have a very similar setup. Is your car an auto or 5 speed?

Also when the car is cold it's really bad at times so much so the car will shake and stumble, that will go away for the most part when warm.

I also had a starting issue where the car would start for a second then sputter and die, then I would have to give it gas to start and hold it there while it sputtered for about 30-50 secs and it was OK then. This seems to have gone away though since I changed to breathers. I can't believe that oil would do this though.

Also since I added the breathers I swear the lag is a tiny bit better but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

joestang08123

forum member
Reaction score
hey starfire, i have the stage 2 setup like yours and mine is an auto as well. i have the exact same problems that incredible mr. e stated above. mine bogs down around 40mph as well. exhaust leak? tuning issues? who knows.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back