Shaker 1000 true power rating?/Amplifier finds

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the shaker (skipper) 1000 in my car (came with it). It ain't that bad overall, except for misreading MP3s and saying bad disk occasionally.

I had some 12" Alpine Platinum Subs in a sealed enclosure that I have been meaning to put in the trunk, so yesterday, I got off my ass and did just that. Now the bass is phenomenal!

However, when I got the old subs out, I noticed they had 2 sets of wires running to both subs. I tore into the package and found they are using dual voice coiled subs on both of them! I also found there is a single amplifier for each of those voice coils!

As for the wiring: Green is + and brown is -. These subs had the wide spade terminal for + and the thin one for -. The impedance was 4.6 ohms according to the writing on the back of the sub magnets. These subs are not that bad for 10" ones. They have a helluva magnet on them but alas they use foam surrounds instead of rubber ones like the 12" ones I have.

However, my 12" subs are single voice coil so I just unplugged the input to two of the amps and then used just two of them for the 12" subs. They sound great. The bass is now very clean and deep. All of that Damplifier Pro I put in the trunk really helped too.

Now the question I have is I wonder what the power rating on those amps are? Since they say Shaker 1000 I am assuming each amp is 250 watts PEAK (since that is a great way to exaggerate power output). If that is the case then the rms power of them should be 1/2 of that or 125 watts.

Anyone got any idea what the RMS output is? If it is 125, that is great as I only had 100W RMS on them when I had them in another vehicle and they sound very similar.

Thx,

Mike

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell. Does Ford rate this at 12 volts or 14.4 volts? That's a huge difference as well. Most likely, your assumption of max power rating is correct, as a true 1000 watt RMS system in 4-ohms would require much heavier duty wiring and more "real estate" than the small amps they include (unless they are a class D digital, like the Alpine PDX series). Regardless, I'd say they're probably nothing to write home about.

If the new subs sound great, then leave well enough alone for now.

ixtlan

Reaction score
The 1000 is PTP Peak to Peak rating.
So it would be 707 RMS Watts.
PTP X .707= RMS

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 1000 is PTP Peak to Peak rating.
So it would be 707 RMS Watts.
PTP X .707= RMS

You're off by a factor of 0.707! :clap:

P = V * I

Prms = Vrms * I rms

Prms = Vp/(sqrt(2)) * Ip/(sqrt(2))

Prms = Pp/(sqrt(2))^2

Prms = Pp/2

2005redgt

Reaction score
MikeVistaBlue06,

I know this is an old post, but ...

I would like to replace the subwoofers in the 1000 enclosure. After reading your post, I was wondering why you did not use the stock enclosure and purchase 2, 4ohm dual voice subwoofers ? Do you think this would work ?

-Bryan

I have the shaker (skipper) 1000 in my car (came with it). It ain't that bad overall, except for misreading MP3s and saying bad disk occasionally.

I had some 12" Alpine Platinum Subs in a sealed enclosure that I have been meaning to put in the trunk, so yesterday, I got off my ass and did just that. Now the bass is phenomenal!

However, when I got the old subs out, I noticed they had 2 sets of wires running to both subs. I tore into the package and found they are using dual voice coiled subs on both of them! I also found there is a single amplifier for each of those voice coils!

As for the wiring: Green is + and brown is -. These subs had the wide spade terminal for + and the thin one for -. The impedance was 4.6 ohms according to the writing on the back of the sub magnets. These subs are not that bad for 10" ones. They have a helluva magnet on them but alas they use foam surrounds instead of rubber ones like the 12" ones I have.

However, my 12" subs are single voice coil so I just unplugged the input to two of the amps and then used just two of them for the 12" subs. They sound great. The bass is now very clean and deep. All of that Damplifier Pro I put in the trunk really helped too.

Now the question I have is I wonder what the power rating on those amps are? Since they say Shaker 1000 I am assuming each amp is 250 watts PEAK (since that is a great way to exaggerate power output). If that is the case then the rms power of them should be 1/2 of that or 125 watts.

Anyone got any idea what the RMS output is? If it is 125, that is great as I only had 100W RMS on them when I had them in another vehicle and they sound very similar.

Thx,

Mike

badgt06

Stratafortress
Reaction score
MikeVistaBlue06,

I know this is an old post, but ...

I would like to replace the subwoofers in the 1000 enclosure. After reading your post, I was wondering why you did not use the stock enclosure and purchase 2, 4ohm dual voice subwoofers ? Do you think this would work ?

-Bryan

The only thing that might not work is that each sub has a certain amount of volume with in an enclosure it should displace to have optimal sound. You can, but lose sound quality, just throw any sup into any box. If your an audiophile you'll seek perfection but if you just want a little boom boom it should be fine as long as everything fits well.

2005redgt

Reaction score
I do want to keep at least he stock quality with a bit more bass volume and boom. The bass sounds decent now, I just want 10-15% more with a bit of boom added.

I have already upgrade the headunit (Kenwood DDX7019), door and rear deck midranges (Alpines) and added some tweeters on the a-pillars. I am still using the stock amps for the door subs and amps/sub in the rear. I just do not want to replace the amps if possbile.

-Bryan

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back