Simple Whipple IAT Relocation

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I have no problem doing that.

The Supersaver shipping irritates me. I still buy from them, but hate it when something is $25.
I joined the Prime account a couple years ago and it was well worth it. For anything they have in stock, 2-day shipping is free and overnight is $3.99. Hell, I just had a frikkin lawnmower shipped overnight (for Saturday delivery even) and it only cost $6.99.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Well I bought the plastic sensor and used a die to put the proper threads on the tip. I test fit the sensor and it threaded in nicely, so I thought everything had gone well. I applied teflon paste to the threads and screwed it into the port. The problem I ran into is after about 1/3 of the threaded part of the sensor was in the port, I could not longer turn it with my fingers. I used vice grips to complete a couple more turns, but I was really nervous about destroying or snapping of the sensor in the port.

I'm hoping the sensor tip is far enough in the port that it is in the flowpath, but I really can't tell for sure.

Nothing simple is ever that simple. I think the problem was the teflon paste, it really increases the torque necessary to thread in. With no handle or device to grip the sensor, it becomes nearly impossible to turn.

Last edited:

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
I will be installing my Whipple HO in a week or two and i am going to be doing this relocation and was wondering if the IAT Relocation kit that BBR sells would work fine? just basically wondering if its the correct type of sensor, excuse my ignorance this is my first time with this type of install and want to make sure everything is correct.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a valid IAT sensor that has the same resistance as our stock MAF IAT sensor? I am nervous about playing with this. Jon Lund says I should relocate my sensor and I would rather not have to take my Whipple off if I don't have to.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is this a valid IAT sensor that has the same resistance as our stock MAF IAT sensor? I am nervous about playing with this. Jon Lund says I should relocate my sensor and I would rather not have to take my Whipple off if I don't have to.

I've had mine like this for 3 years, still no issues.

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
I just did this mod, I guess the temperature doesn't do much for fuel parameters because I didn't notice any difference and from what it sounds like shouldn't notice any difference. I had the same threading problem too, put a socket on it and turned it into bore until about 1/4 inch from the flange. Plenty to get into the intake track. Peace of mind mod.

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely notice it pulling timing now. I am now wondering how many people don't do this mod and run full timing in the summer heat, how much safer are we with this mod?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Bump from a while back.

How important is this...? I have a weird feeling whipple might have had a reason not to move it to the manifold? Like...if your IAT probe broke and went into your engine somehow.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks lito.

I'm still kind of confused.

Can you use the port that is already on the manifold? Or do you have to drill that out bigger and retap it?

Can i just use this:
http://www.brenspeed.com/breniatrelocation.html

You need a 3/8" NPT thread for it to screw, you can do it over there or on another runner, using that hole will need more wire as the MAF is already on the other side, or you can look for the gray/gray-red wires on the harness that goes behind the engine and splice it in. Remember to cut the wires that go to the MAF.

Yes, that works, if you want to try to get it cheaper the sensor that can be found now is DY-1159, out of memory do not recall the part number of the pigtail, don't know if it is along the thread.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
You need a 3/8" NPT thread for it to screw, you can do it over there or on another runner, using that hole will need more wire as the MAF is already on the other side, or you can look for the gray/gray-red wires on the harness that goes behind the engine and splice it in. Remember to cut the wires that go to the MAF.

Yes, that works, if you want to try to get it cheaper the sensor that can be found now is DY-1159, out of memory do not recall the part number of the pigtail, don't know if it is along the thread.

Gotcha, thanks! I'll just go with the brenspeed kit since it's all together and I need to do this soon.

Anyone recommend a specific port/area to tap for a whipple so that the sensor won't get in the way of anything?

Edit: AM has recommended this spot in the past, anyone know if this works OK?

whippleiat.jpg

Last edited:

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
That's where they recommend it. I did it the way redfury did it, pretty easy with some mechanical know how.

Gotcha, thanks! I'll just go with the brenspeed kit since it's all together and I need to do this soon.

Anyone recommend a specific port/area to tap for a whipple so that the sensor won't get in the way of anything?

whippleiat.jpg

69Mach1-409

Reaction score

whippleiat.jpg

That's where I put mine and it's been fine for 3 yrs now. :beerdrink:

Quake Guy

Reaction score
How is this mod? Still working for everyone? Picked up a 2006 Mustang that had the whipple without intercooler installed.

Thinking about doing this mod for more accurate readings and possibly help detect a pump failure if I do meth injection.

Has anyone used the port with the brass plug towards the front of the manifold plate? I assume its where the cooling system enters the manifold if it was intercooled.

You can see that port used here for a Camaro IAT relocation about half way down the page posted by Caliman93230:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138862

How is this mod holding up? Any issues with the plastic IAT cracking?

I have a 4.6L Whipple on a 2006 GT, no intercooler. Was looking to do this mod and then perhaps add a meth injection kit.

I notice a couple plugs at the front of the manifold beneath the whipple. I assume they are for cooling lines if you had a supercharger, anyone use those for relocating the IAT sensor?

2/3 of the way down the page, it appears someone is using these ports to relocate the IAT for a whipple install on a LS motor in a Camaro.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138862

Last edited by a moderator:

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Same spot I put mine. Just be careful Wye. Mounting the manifold since that sensor is close to the firewall

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back