Spark plug choice...

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
All motor, 11.5 compression, 3.65 stroke, stock bore, ported heads, and 127600 cams. I was debating on running a stock heat range plug, or if there would be a benefit to running a hotter or cooler plug. I need all the NAsty power I can get since I'm no longer going the turbo route..

stang67gt

wrench turner
Reaction score
Do you plan on running 93 or something different?

Hotter plugs have more cleaning and a tendency to cause pre-detonation with high combustion pressures.

Colder plugs dissipate heat quicker and less prone to cause pre-detonation but are more likely to foul if too cold for the application.

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
93 octane. i plan on adding a gallon of 113 oxygenated when i go to the track. car will be driven about 50 miles a week. and .045 gap? that is less than stock right? i believe stock is .052?

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
What year is your Mustang?

You may need to read the spark plug TSB.
Dunno if you have the year model of the TSB's and if you do I dunno if you have changed them yet but if
you do and you have not changed them you need to read it to avoid breaking off the plugs in the head

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
ok. and mine is a 07. i have been through about 6 sets of plugs in its 60k miles lol. and heads are in the machine shop being massaged as we speak.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
I would get an Autolite HT1 and gap it to stock or close to stock heat range of .43 - .45.

If you wanted to be a bit safer, and possibly replace the plugs sooner, get an HT0, as they are pre-gapped to .45 from Autolite and are one step colder.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Recently built an 11.0 cr motor. Stock heads, 127300 cams. I went with ht1's and they were all gapped at .044" in the box. I didn't change the gap and am having no issues with detonation running 92.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce what numbers ya making?

Not enough, it's slow! 92 pump is 337rwhp and I could only manage a 13.19 @ 107 (there was a 23mph headwind though). My combination of 4.10's, 28.5" dr's, and TR-6060 conspired against me to bog lol. I was still in 3rd at the end. I've since had 4.56 gears installed and refined my vct tables (I think vct is better anyway, there just isn't much info out there for us self tuners) but haven't gotten back to the track or dyno since. I'm about to have a set of heads ported too. No matter how hard I push on the gas the whipple just doesn't kick in.

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
Dang man. Something seems off. Vct does make a huge difference if ya can use it. My car made 325whp before I took it apart with bolt ons. I'm going for 410-425. That would put me where I wanna be at the track.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Dang man. Something seems off. Vct does make a huge difference if ya can use it. My car made 325whp before I took it apart with bolt ons. I'm going for 410-425. That would put me where I wanna be at the track.

I have stock cats. I'm pretty sure long tubes would get me more power but I can't do them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back