ST coilover install instructions

neema

forum member
Reaction score
2011 Mustang Coilover/suspension install guide (ST Coilovers)

In case anyone needs another perspective on how to install suspension, I hope this can help. This particular install was for ST Coilovers, but should work for pretty much all spring+shock/strut combos as well as other coilover brands that reuse the stock strut mount. It's really not that difficult if you have basic car-oriented tools.

Here's how the box came:
photo%2525201.JPG

photo%2525202.JPG

First things first. run to the store and buy a 21mm and 22mm deep offset wrench for the nut on the strut mount. If you have coilovers that come with their own strut mount attached, then you don’t need this. Also, go rent/buy some spring compressors. If you need to reuse your stock strut mount (which the ST’s do), these tools will make life easier. They’re needed so you’re able to undo the nut while holding the shaft in place. You’ll also need large a large torx bit (T-30 I believe… I may be wrong) to remove the rear bump stop. It’s also a good idea to grab some 2x4 wood blocks and drive your car up on them so when you lower your car down after the suspension is installed, your floor jack won’t get stuck under the car (doh).

Here's what came for the rear:
photo%2525203.JPG

Starting with the rear, lift up the car and place jack stands under the pinch seams. Remove the rear wheels and place a floor jack just under the rear differential. Lift the rear axle with the floor jack just enough so you can remove the bottom bolt from the shock. You should be able to pull out the rear springs at this point. Go inside your trunk and undo the top of the rear shock and have a friend grab the shock as it comes out. Get some big pliers and muscle out the bump stop. Use the torx bit to pull off the bump stop mount and then squeeze enough of the new ST bump stop through so you can pinch it with your pliers and pull it back through. It’ll fit, just be persistent. Install the new bump stops back in place. Remove the rubber isolator where the bottom of the springs contact the axle and pull out the little plastic plug from the axle. Before you mount any new hardware, set both rear spring perches to the same height. A good baseline is in the middle of the threaded adjustment range. Mount the top of shocks and use your floor jack to bring the axle up. Slide in the springs and spring perches and use the floor jack again to bring the axle where it needs to be in order to line up the bottom eye of the shocks and bolt them on.

Voila:

notice the preload adjuster sitting in between the spring and the axle
IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG

side angle shot (ST sway bars installed as well)
IMG_8508.JPG

In the front, I drove the car on two 2x4’s (each side) so the floor jack would have clearance when pulling it out. I lifted the car from the k-member with a transverse mounted 2x4 on the floor jack and put jackstands under the pinch seams behind both front wheels. Some are averse to the idea of jacking from the k-member, but I’ve seen no contorting of bending in the metal and this seems to be a quick way to get both sides up off the ground. It’s also good to have both sides of the front end lifted up at the same time so the swaybar is sitting in a neutral position. This will make reattaching the endlinks a piece of cake rather than mission impossible. Remove the wheels and unscrew the brake line (10mm) and pop out the wheel speed sensor clip from the strut (use a set of pliers for this). Using an 18mm deep socket for the nut and a 17mm wrench to hold the bolt in place, undo the swaybar endlink. Undo the two 18mm bolts on the bottom of the strut. Grab a small bucket, cardboard box, or anything you can find to hold the a-arm and hub/brake assembly in place. Don’t let the hub and brake droop and hang by the brake line! The last thing you want is a brake leak to develop. Use a 13mm socket and remove the four nuts holding the strut in place on the strut tower. Carefully remove the strut assembly and get your spring compressors and compress the spring. With the spring compressed, use your awesome offset wrench and a standard wrench or socket to hold the stud in the middle in place. Remove the strut mount and transfer it onto the new strut. The ST coilovers come with awesome little adapters that let you use the 2011 strut mount (which is great, since you don’t have to spend more money on buying 05-10 strut mounts). Set the coilovers to the same height on both sides so you have an even baseline. Slide your new strut back in place and mount it to the strut tower (mount the top of the coilover first). Take the hub and bolt everything back together on the bottom end of the strut. Pop the wheel-speed sensor back in, screw the brake line mount on and throw your wheel back on.

Some pics of the front:

Front strut assembly
photo%2525204.JPG

spacers to use the coilovers with the 2011 strut mount
photo%2525205.JPG

how the spacers are installed on the coilover
photo%25252011.JPG

front strut installed
IMG_8509.JPG

awesome slotted top bolt (allowed as much as 2.7º of camber!)
IMG_8511.JPG

Rinse and repeat for the strut on the other side and lower the car down. Drive the car around the block to check for any clunking. Measure the height from center of the wheel to the top most point of the fender on all four corners. For the front end, I don’t recommend going less than 14-14.25” with the stock Brembo wheel. I had mine at 13.5, which is really low and looks good, but the extra .5-.75” of travel will make the car that much more manageable on the street. The rear end is set to 14.5” on my car and rides pretty well. So well that it seems these ST coilovers were made to be hammered. To adjust the height, adjust the spring collars by taking some of the load off of whatever corner you’re working on. For the rear end, the instructions say to completely remove the spring, but I think you can get away with some adjustments without popping the spring out.

here's a picture of the finished result. sadly these are coming off this weekend, but it's okay since it's for something better :)
IMG_8566_7_8.jpg

I’m no pro, but if anyone has questions or anything to add, I'll answer what I can

Last edited:

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Looks good man, what did you think of the quality?

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good man, what did you think of the quality?

top notch. for being an "entry level" coilover system, it's made very well. everything bolted straight up. no fitment issues or anything like that to worry about.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could you have used the 05-09 GT500 strut mount with this kit instead of the factory one?

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Great write-up/install!

The new stance definitely looks great!

Have you thrown it into some corners with them on yet?
How does the car "turn-in" with them? More responsive or less?
Is there more "feel"/"connection" to the steering does it feel like?
What are your camber/alignment settings?

How do they feel on the highway!?

What spring-rates are they?

Have you launched the car yet? How do these do to help control wheel hop?

Why are you changing them? Didn't like them or just upgrading?

Have you had other coil-overs in the past, if so, what brand/model?

I've been trying to get us to get more coil-overs and I'd like to hear you opinion on them, if possible :)

Last edited:

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Great write-up/install!

I've been trying to get us to get more coil-overs and I'd like to hear you opinion on them, if possible :)[/QUOTE]

BC Racing coilovers or these ST's please. Sorry in advance for beign way off topic here :omfg:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Great write-up/install!

I've been trying to get us to get more coil-overs and I'd like to hear you opinion on them, if possible :)

try these ...if you really wants something that works ....I use a D/A set up

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php?II=666

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
Looks good! I recently did BC's on mine. Rides like a go cart. but it's low. lol Wheel hop is 100% gone but it doesn't hook for shit. Not that I'm surprised that such a stiff suspension wont hook.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Nice write-up!

The graphics on the box made me lol

But anyway, so do all these "coilover" kits just give you adjustable perches in the rear? Not actually converting it to coil-over shock?
I guess it would make it hard to fit big wheel/tires...

GT37

Reaction score
Good write up, I never heard of ST suspension before... I went with the eibach Pro-street coilovers but these look like another good setup

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
I have a set of these sitting in my room waiting to be installed tomorrow so thanks for this write up. ST is owned by KW and the only difference between these and the KW variant 1s is these have galvanized steel bodies as opposed to stainless steel. For an entry level coilover they came heavily recommended by Sam Strano over the BCs which were my first choice. It will be great to see how they work over my current setup.

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a set of these sitting in my room waiting to be installed tomorrow so thanks for this write up. ST is owned by KW and the only difference between these and the KW variant 1s is these have galvanized steel bodies as opposed to stainless steel. For an entry level coilover they came heavily recommended by Sam Strano over the BCs which were my first choice. It will be great to see how they work over my current setup.

You should love them. Are you currently on just springs/shocks&struts?

If so, you will notice a HUGE difference in ride-quality, turn-in and feedback.
The nice thing about coil-overs is they are designed to function properly together(spring-rates/shock&strut valving) producing the most ideal handling characteristics!

These look great and are definitely made by KW which will likely mean they perform as good as they look!

Report back when you get them and if you can, please answer some of my questions regarding them posted above. The OP hasn't seemed to respond:-/

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I've had a shitty experience with KW but I think it was an anomaly--it was on another vehicle anyway, not a mustang.

Does anyone have any idea how to rust-proof the ST coilovers? I've seen a few threads on BMW forums and whatnot with some nice rust after just a week of winter driving.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
If you go ahead and pay a few more bucks for the variant 1s they are stainless steel and will not rust. That or I would just plasti dip the shocks lol.

@Chris I will most definately let you know my impressions of them. I am currently running on stock struts with 116k on them and eibach sportlines so I imagine the difference will make me shit myself in joy. I'm also adding ATE rotors, hawk pads, fays2 watts link, Strano sways, steeda balljoints and bumpsteer kit, and corbeau seats as well as freshening up axle seals and tranny fluid. It's going to be an entirely different car come friday.

twistid

Reaction score
What would be the best way to lower a 2011+ Mustang? I have read and under the impression the most common way is with frpp k springs , adjustable panhandle bar, and dampers. However there are also those who use coilovers like these and shock/struts. I am obviously a noob at this stuff and still readinhg and learning.

Can someone shine a little light and help me out. I would like a much better handling mustang and like the lowered look however i cannot afford the $1200 ford racing handling pack =(

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Well any halfway decent coilover is going to cost at least 1k. However if you just wanted to do some regular lowering springs and an adjustible panhard then you could certainly be happy with that for a while. However if you want "good" handling with that package then you should also look into dampers with those items. Call Sam Strano and he will get you figured out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back