Terrible news: RE low oil pressure

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
While moving the car onto a drive on hoist the tech mentions a low RPM knock. Tells me to do a oil pressure test.

This is what they said
"65psi cold 30 psi warm. Spec warm at 2000 rpm 75 psi......your car......."

"65 psi....motor is weak"

So I haven't heard what the think it needs. But I'm feeling really anxious and sick to my stomach.

Could this be a VCT problem? Base engine problem? Heads problem?

Car runs strong never had any CEL's, tinge of blue smoke on startup.

I can provide any more details that might help.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
"65psi cold 30 psi warm. Spec warm at 2000 rpm 75 psi......your car......."

"65 psi....motor is weak"
Did they not speak english?

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
It was my buddy relaying the message via text. Service Manager said drive it until it blows. But I don't want to ruin my Whipple if I have a catastrophic failure.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Odd, if there is a knock, and low oil pressure I'd assume it's your rods.
Someone with some actual engine building experience will be along shortly.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
I personally would not run it until it blows for a whole host of reasons including the one you mentioned.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Car runs really strong. half dozen 12.7 passes at 112mph two weeks ago

The week before that it was 12.7 @ 113mph.

Never had any drivability concerns or lack if power, or oil consumption.

I agree pretty hesitant to drive it at all this summer. This probably means see ya later 2012 FX4. Time to save for short block. Might have to jump on the local forged block.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
None of that makes sense. You have 65 psi instead of 75, therefore the "motor is weak"?

Sounds like you need to talk directly to the service manager.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve covers. See if there is any evidence of low oil pressure with the valve train--that seems to be where things go wrong first with low oil pressure and could be the source of the "knocking" you hear.

Personally I think 65 psi at 2000 rpm is plenty....but with the VCT who knows.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I had a low oil pressure issue with my stock motor. It resulted in VCT timing issues.
How long ago did you change the oil? Check the oil for metal.

In my particular situation, my thrust bearing failed (disintegrated) and sent metal debris through the VCT solenoids causing timing issues. Low oil pressure was due to lost of oil pressure through the damaged bearing.

Obviously this may not be your issue...just saying, with low oil pressure, check the oil!!

GoneFord

forum member
Reaction score
I had a low oil pressure issue with my stock motor. It resulted in VCT timing issues.
How long ago did you change the oil? Check the oil for metal.

In my particular situation, my thrust bearing failed (disintegrated) and sent metal debris through the VCT solenoids causing timing issues. Low oil pressure was due to lost of oil pressure through the damaged bearing.

Obviously this may not be your issue...just saying, with low oil pressure, check the oil!!

Did you ever figure out what caused the thrust bearing to fail? Or was it just one of those things...?

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I change the oil every 5000kms. It was right in between the cross hatches on the dipstick. I've owned the car since new and have been absolutely religious about 5000kms intervals. Plus oil changes at storage and out of storage.

No it's a custom tune.

AutoXRacer did you have any other symptoms?

Last couple times I've started the engine I get a groan/vibration that may last 1-3 seconds and may occur 1 or 2 times during start up. Ill try to get a video. Seems to only occur when the engine is cold.

Last edited:

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
What's your pressure at warm idle ? Sorry don't understand what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I change the oil every 5000kms. It was right in between the cross hatches on the dipstick. I've owned the car since new and have been absolutely religious about 5000kms intervals. Plus oil changes at storage and out of storage.

No it's a custom tune.

AutoXRacer did you have any other symptoms?

Last couple times I've started the engine I get a groan/vibration that may last 1-3 seconds and may occur 1 or 2 times during start up. Ill try to get a video. Seems to only occur when the engine is cold.

Towards the end...before I new what was going on and retired the engine, my engine would run like crap randomly. Like if the timing was off, then instantly, all of a sudden it would run normal. Even when I towed the car home from the dealer, I turned it on to drive it on the trailer and it started up perfectly, then a couple of minutes crappy. Got home turned it on, ran normal and pulled it into the garage for the last time.

It was the weirdest thing. The only sure sign was the shiny oil in the motor.
It did not show up on the dip stick either. The dealer pulled off the oil pressure sensor and connected a gauge. The little oil that oozed out was shiny. Then they pulled the VCT solenoids and the metal mesh was filled with metal dust/debris. Thats what was causing my timing to screw up.
Not knowing where the metal came from and seeing how much metal was in the oil, I just ordered a new fully built long block.

Any more updates?

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
No updates for now. Car is back at my place. I will be sending the oil out for testing. Haven't pulled the valve covers.

I really appreciate all the insight and help guys. Love this forum.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back