TH400 install on s197 issues

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just installed the th400 that came out of another s197 with just dyno time on it that I was told. First issue I noticed is that with the seperater plate on I had .430 to pull converter out till pads hit flexplate. (Way too much even with spacers or hardened washers.) So I pulled trans back out and took seperater plate out and bolted back and now we have .340
So I put .200 thick hardened washers on and pull converter forward and now we have .140 which is right between the .125 and .18 that it calls for.

Now with converter hooked up I have no First or second. Just 3rd gear.
No transbrake hooked up either.
This setup is Freakshow built th400 BTE transbrake and valvebody.
Yank converter.
JW bell,JW flex and JW crank adapter

Has anyone had issues with installing their th400 on the mod motor like this?

Did you guys have to remove the seperater plate as well and what clearances did you get?
Thanks

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trans

I just installed the th400 that came out of another s197 with just dyno time on it that I was told. First issue I noticed is that with the seperater plate on I had .430 to pull converter out till pads hit flexplate. (Way too much even with spacers or hardened washers.) So I pulled trans back out and took seperater plate out and bolted back and now we have .340
So I put .200 thick hardened washers on and pull converter forward and now we have .140 which is right between the .125 and .18 that it calls for.

Now with converter hooked up I have no First or second. Just 3rd gear.
No transbrake hooked up either.
This setup is Freakshow built th400 BTE transbrake and valvebody.
Yank converter.
JW bell,JW flex and JW crank adapter

Has anyone had issues with installing their th400 on the mod motor like this?

Did you guys have to remove the seperater plate as well and what clearances did you get?
Thanks

Hey Paul,call Justin @JPC he did Joe Marini's with a TH400 he ran with me in NMRA mod motor.Hope this helps.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Randy, thanks for the info. I just dropped the pan and found a small amount of metal shavings in it.
So I pretty much got sold a broke trans on Facebook. I am waiting to have it looked at before I contact the seller.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Th400 is made by GM and when built, is about twice as strong as a built 4R. The 4R has an O/d and the TH400 doesn't.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 4L80E is the modern O/D version of the TH400. Talk to Hughes Transmission or JPC about doing that swap. It doesn't cost that much more than the 4R and is basically bullet proof. I have seen way too many built 4R's fail to go that route myself. If, or when, my 5R goes out, I will be doing the 4L80E swap, or possibly the 6R, if they have figured out by then how to run it in the 3v.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TH 400

Hey Randy, thanks for the info. I just dropped the pan and found a small amount of metal shavings in it.
So I pretty much got sold a broke trans on Facebook. I am waiting to have it looked at before I contact the seller.

Sorry to read this Paul.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My trans guy opened it yesterday and said there wasn't much wrong with it except the converter was hitting pump.
He did say that the HP limit was about 600 since it had all stock stuff except a nice valve body and transbrake.
Even had stock 16element sprag that are known to shatter.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back