The view INSIDE a burnout (Calling Craig...)

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you see this live, mate?

Anyways vid 1 is Sat qualifying at AU Summernats 25 this year. At the end as described below the video you see the marshal give the driver his "Did Pass" ticket. This ticket is also pictured on FB.

Second vid is the Sunday final. The driver was told two cars away from the skid pad, after driving a long distance to get to the event and sitting all day in line in hot, humid weather that he was DQed, which seeing that he possessed a "Did Pass" ticket, was incorrect bullshit. You see the marshalls trying to block him and he finally nudges through. You also see the typical, roid filled "bro" trying to be tough kicking at his car and getting pushy at the end.

Nats staff banned the driver for life but have suspended that and have kept in place a one year ban for next year for his actions pushing through the staff. They reversed it because there was no clear guideline in place in the rules allowing a lifetime ban. There is now.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I don't know what the hell all that was about. What did he do to get DQ'd in the first place? And that car appears to be rather badass.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the hell all that was about. What did he do to get DQ'd in the first place? And that car appears to be rather badass.

They said he disregarded a fire marshall on the qualifying pass in the first vid. Said he contacted the wall and stalled and thus the marshall motioned for him to wait to be towed away. In the narrative under that vid it describes what happened and when.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Did you see this live, mate?

Anyways vid 1 is Sat qualifying at AU Summernats 25 this year. At the end as described below the video you see the marshal give the driver his "Did Pass" ticket. This ticket is also pictured on FB.

Second vid is the Sunday final. The driver was told two cars away from the skid pad, after driving a long distance to get to the event and sitting all day in line in hot, humid weather that he was DQed, which seeing that he possessed a "Did Pass" ticket, was incorrect bullshit. You see the marshalls trying to block him and he finally nudges through. You also see the typical, roid filled "bro" trying to be tough kicking at his car and getting pushy at the end.

Nats staff banned the driver for life but have suspended that and have kept in place a one year ban for next year for his actions pushing through the staff. They reversed it because there was no clear guideline in place in the rules allowing a lifetime ban. There is now.

I didn't, I just missed it. Gutted.

Here's the statement Summernats issued regarding this matter:

SUMMERNATS STATEMENT ON BURNOUT TRACK INCIDENT

11 January 2012

There was an incident at the burnout track on Sunday 8/1/12 involving entrant Steve Nogas in NUKINFUTS. Steve was seen to forcibly drive his car through officials who were instructing him not to drive at the time, and then did an unauthorised burnout.

He was removed by security at the end of his drive and was immediately given a life-time ban by management.

The incident was witnessed first hand by Summernats management including the owners.

The owners said “We made the immediate life-time ban decision for two reasons. The first and most important reason was we saw a guy place our burnout management team in great physical danger. We were very upset by that. Second, we were furious that all our efforts to establish burnouts as a legitimate motor sport could have been ruined in one moment. This is not just about the Summernats. There are a lot of people out there who want to see burnout events banned across Australia, and all competitors and event promoters alike have a responsibility to protect this awesome sport.”

Summernats management has reviewed both the incident and the punishment post event, consulting the rules and taking submissions from burnout track officials and the driver.

Following this process, the Summernats have revised their decision and have released their official position.

“Steve Nogas’ life time ban has been suspended on review. He is however banned as an entrant from Summernats 26. As such, Steve is ineligible to enter as a competitor at Summernats 26. However, the Burnout Chief Marshall has invited Steve to make amends with the burnout crew and work alongside them at Summernats 26. This will give Steve a better appreciation of the issues facing officials managing this sport.”

Summernats gave the following reason for the review.

“Our own assessment of the rules led us to the opinion there was no explicit statement about life bans for such behaviour. As such, we felt it was only fair to review the decision. We took into account the fact that Steve has since been extremely apologetic about what he did and has accepted complete responsibility for his actions. He has made several public and private statements expressing his regret. We also considered the intent of his actions. Whilst the consequences could have been severe, we accepted Steve’s statement that there was no intent or premeditation to his actions. The one year ban is a consensus decision between Summernats management and the burnout competition chief steward. Steve has gratefully accepted this decision.

“The Summernats stands by the actions of our burnout crew. Our crew do an incredible job under very trying conditions. Their primary mission is to maintain the safety of competitors and the audience. Our burnout crew do a superb job and should be commended for their professionalism.

“We have learnt important lessons from this incident, and Summernats will be taking a number of measures to ensure this doesn’t happen again.”

Steve Nogas says, “What I’ve done there is totally out of character for me and totally wrong for any entrant to do. I’m deeply sorry for the way I conducted myself.”

Summernats management stated, “We want to be very clear. The only reason we re-considered the decision was that our rules were not explicit on life-time bans. Moving forward, the rules will be very explicit. If a driver deliberately and maliciously ignores the instructions of officials on the start line of the burnout pad placing them and the competition in jeopardy, that driver will receive a life-time ban. Apologies after the fact will not be considered. Now we all know the rules, and these will be very clearly laid out in the Participation Guide for Summernats 26 and beyond.”

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back