Water Dumping Into Cabin

Stingray

Reaction score
I’ve searched for this but haven’t found anything about this. One day - out of nowhere - water started dumping into passenger floor. The heavy rain we got that day is nothing unusual. The water was literally gushing from underneath the glovebox. I noticed the rubber seal that presses against the lower edge of the windshield was pulled away from the glass, so i pressed it back. But water dumped in again from last night’s rain. I have to keep a bucket in the car now, when it’s not in the garage.

Has anyone else had this problem? I’ve heard of leak problems near the kick panel next to the smart junction box but this is happening from underneath the glovebox.

Any ideas would be awesome, thank you!

Reaction score
You have clogged drains under the hood. It's a common problem. There are 2 rubber plugs you need to pull out at the bottom of the airbox at the base of the windshield. Do it now and dry out those carpets and floorboards too. It will rust out your floor in no time.

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It's most likely the foam around the cowl top panel retainer grommets that hold the cowl cover in place have dry rotted, and this video describes how to fix it with the updated versions of the grommets:

You could also take further preventative action at the same time by clearing the cowl drains:

DieHarder

Reaction score
Here's the TSB....we've seen this so often we now have a tiger team with all of the answers.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You have clogged drains under the hood. It's a common problem. There are 2 rubber plugs you need to pull out at the bottom of the airbox at the base of the windshield. Do it now and dry out those carpets and floorboards too. It will rust out your floor in no time.

I had the same problem on my 2010 GT...just a few months ago. PULL those damned rubber plugs outa there ASAP ! There are TWO of em. Just squeeze the soft rubber, and yank it out by hand. Then you will get gallons of water flowing out of the remaining holes in the firewall.

The two rubber plugs can easily be seen with hood up. They stick out from the firewall... inside the eng bay. The one on the pass side is a bit trickier, I felt it by hand, then yanked it out. My pass side carpet was soaked right through.

Initially, I just cleaned the plugs with my finger, and gallons of water came out. They were both plugged with debris, that had turned into black gunk, like rotted leaves etc. A week later, I yanked em right outa there.

The fellow who posts on S197, who works at the ford dealership in florida, said they yank those plugs out, as soon as the NEW cars come off the trailer. With all their rain, they have come across the same problem plenty of times in the past...so they now yank em on spec.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve searched for this but haven’t found anything about this. One day - out of nowhere - water started dumping into passenger floor. The heavy rain we got that day is nothing unusual. The water was literally gushing from underneath the glovebox. I noticed the rubber seal that presses against the lower edge of the windshield was pulled away from the glass, so i pressed it back. But water dumped in again from last night’s rain. I have to keep a bucket in the car now, when it’s not in the garage.

Has anyone else had this problem? I’ve heard of leak problems near the kick panel next to the smart junction box but this is happening from underneath the glovebox.

So what rock are you living under?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cut the poor guy some slack, it's his 1st posting.
giphy.gif

Reaction score
When I first got my car in 2004 they had this problem, fortunately, it never happened to me. Now, 111,000 miles later and 18 years older in September nothing yet.

07 MUSTANGGT

Reaction score

Mine did the same thing a few years ago, the cabin filter needs changing. At the time I thought what the hell...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone with useful replies. The problem was, in deed, the grommets being plugged up. As for the rock I live under, all I can say is that I definitely don’t live under the hood of my car. Considering this is the first potentially destructive or Ford-service-needed problem I’ve had with my 2009 GT, I’d say I’m doing pretty well and not needing to use forums much.

Thank you, again!

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone with useful replies. The problem was, in deed, the grommets being plugged up. As for the rock I live under, all I can say is that I definitely don’t live under the hood of my car. Considering this is the first potentially destructive or Ford-service-needed problem I’ve had with my 2009 GT, I’d say I’m doing pretty well and not needing to use forums much.

Thank you, again!
And he's right. People come here and it's as if someone starts stoning you to death. It makes no sense why some are so rude. This isn't basic training in the military or playing for the coach. Geez.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back