Weight of oem Rod's & Pistons

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone weighed the stock parts? Just want to compare grams to an aftermarket rotating assembly.

thanks.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Aren't you taking the weight thing a little too far now Matt? :roflmao:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aren't you taking the weight thing a little too far now Matt? :roflmao:

That's what NA is all about, light weight rotating assembly and mega revs :D

Matt, have you tried getting with Livernois?

that's what i was thinking. or Rich Groh.

Both good contacts. Im going to make some calls. I found on the web the pistons weigh 500 grams each apparently and rod and piston is 1 kilo but interwebz can be wrong.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
500 grams sounds too heavy for each piston. I have a stock piston, a stock set of rings, and a stock rod here if you want me to weigh them. I don't have the pins or clips here though. They're brand new, so it should be accurate.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
500 gms would be crazy light! Never mind..Thought that was the rod weight..Watching....

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All 8 of my stock rods and pistons out of my 3v weighed 26lbs. This includes piston, rings, wrist pin, rod, bearings and bolts.

kevmac

Reaction score
I have a stock rod/piston/rings assembly on my desk, with the rod bearings in it, it weighs 1130 grams complete.

Kev

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
All 8 of my stock rods and pistons out of my 3v weighed 26lbs. This includes piston, rings, wrist pin, rod, bearings and bolts.

He's looking for info on the 5.0, but was your weight a shipping weight, or was that the exact weight of only those parts?

That comes out to 3.25lbs per assembly, which is 1474.2 grams.

I have a stock rod/piston/rings assembly on my desk, with the rod bearings in it, it weighs 1130 grams complete.

Kev

That's for a 5.0L right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Eric @ Dss finding out what their off the shelf Pistons weigh but they can lighten them up further for a Na build. Manley has their H-beam rods at 602 grams. Would be nice to know for all.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Matt, what are the plans with the motor?

Have you considered using maybe a Boss302 rod?

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Matt, what are the plans with the motor?

Have you considered using maybe a Boss302 rod?

Well im going to stay 302. If I do a bottom end it has to be worth it for me. So everything lightened dss said they should be able to make a 12:01 ratio piston aswell. Im going to stay away from the boss piston and rods (nothing against them).

These Coyote's sure arn't cheap to build but I am looking at what I need to do to get the results I want. Head cam combo is going to be the big gain. I picked up 75 wrhp on my 3 valve on a stock bottom end. I can't wait to see what I can get out of this motor. While at Sema I found Mezire's trick new electric water pump. I had the ford racing 90mm in my hands and sent it back. Accufab is coming out with an 85mm that outflows the current 90mm they made for Ford and no spacer required using the oem throttle body motor.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was all of them sitting on the scale in a cardboard box. Yeah i noticed he is looking for coyote now, oops.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Well im going to stay 302. If I do a bottom end it has to be worth it for me. So everything lightened dss said they should be able to make a 12:01 ratio piston aswell. Im going to stay away from the boss piston and rods (nothing against them).

These Coyote's sure arn't cheap to build but I am looking at what I need to do to get the results I want. Head cam combo is going to be the big gain. I picked up 75 wrhp on my 3 valve on a stock bottom end. I can't wait to see what I can get out of this motor. While at Sema I found Mezire's trick new electric water pump. I had the ford racing 90mm in my hands and sent it back. Accufab is coming out with an 85mm that outflows the current 90mm they made for Ford and no spacer required using the oem throttle body motor.

I am considering the Boss piston/rod combo and Boss crank, for the RPM longevity.

What's the msrp going to be on the Accufab TB?

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Boss piston/rod combo and Boss crank, for the RPM longevity.

What's the msrp going to be on the Accufab TB?

Just so you know Ive been reving my car 7500-7800 every weekend for the last summer lol... they can take a pretty good beating. I have to talk to triangle speed shop about their billet oil pump to start spinning 8000 plus.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back