Weird rattle when accelerating after warm followed by bad idle

Kadenpoynor

Reaction score
The issue I’m having is that when the engine gets warm after about 25 min of driving or idling it surges into this rattley mess that sounds like it gonna stall constantly and when i rev it up it rattles bad after letting off the gas pedal. If i rev it up to about 1.25k rpm’s it goes to normal for about 3 seconds before dropping again. When it is in the rough idle the rpm’s are still at the normal 750 but the whole car shakes and sounds like it’s gonna stall. It’s also throwing the code P0022 but i would think this would cause an issue throught the entire proses of start up and being cold but im just not sure. It’s also blowing smoke but I’ve heard on cat-less setups that normal.

I have pictures of the inside of the piston wells and sounds from the car in the idle mode

I have a 2009 gt with about 127k miles and have pulled the motor out and replaced many parts such a a new McLeod clutch new slave lots of new gaskets and seals and the main one which was replacing the whole timing assembly from summit racing with the oem kit and i have also replaced the vvt solenoids twice and the cam position sensors twice
The cams have also been gutted and have aftermarket sensors
We also put in a melling high output high volume oil pump in.

Video1

Video2

IMG_7717.jpeg

IMG_7727.jpeg

IMG_7706.jpeg

IMG_7707.jpeg

IMG_7708.jpeg

IMG_7709.jpeg

IMG_7710.jpeg

IMG_7711.jpeg

IMG_7712.jpeg

IMG_7713.jpeg

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The issue I’m having is that when the engine gets warm after about 25 min of driving or idling it surges into this rattly mess that sounds like it gonna stall constantly and when i rev it up it rattles bad after letting off the gas pedal. If i rev it up to about 1.25k rpm’s it goes to normal for about 3 seconds before dropping again. When it is in the rough idle the rpm’s are still at the normal 750 but the whole car shakes and sounds like it’s gonna stall. It’s also throwing the code P0022 but i would think this would cause an issue throughout the entire process of start up and being cold but im just not sure. It’s also blowing smoke but I’ve heard on cat-less setups that normal.
It sounds like you have some serious problems. Firstly all the symptoms you've described, including the p0022 code, could be due to a low oil pressure at hot idle/off idle rpm causing a VCT system malfunction with knocking cam phasers and rattling timing chains. Since you've already installed a new oil pump, your engine may have excessive rod/main bearing clearances. Try a thicker grade of oil e.g. 5W-50 and see if that band aid improves things.
Your oily spark plugs and piston crowns are a sure sign that the engine's burning oil, hence the exhaust smoke. If that's occurring on cold start up, you may be lucky enough to merely have worn valve stem oil seals, which are easy and inexpensive to replace. Otherwise, you could have worn valve guides and those would require the heads to be rebuilt. If it's burning oil under load, that would point to piston ring/bore wear.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back