Welding in Bung for wideband...

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you cut the hole the size of the bung and then countersink it just slightly...or if you cut the hole slightly smaller than bung and weld on top of exhaust pipe.
I am using an innovative MTX-L gauge setup.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I always have cut the hole smaller and sat the bung on top and welded it in. Doesnt get in the way of exhaust flow that way, and it's easier to clamp/hold in place while welding.
Use one of the concave/pre-formed bungs for much easier welding, too. About the same price.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I did mine flush, used a dremel to trim the edges perfect. Very important to keep the blank bolt in the bung during welding until it's cooled so the threads dont distort.

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
Kit didn't supply a blank bolt / plug...so I assume this is something you provided yourself?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Mine came with a cap bolt, but I'm sure you can take the bung to a local auto store or home depot/lowes and pick up a matching cap bolt.

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm surprised mine didn't come with one. Don't know what other widebands cost, but this innovative was just under $200 and at that price I had to extend the wiring (not the sensor cable)...they only provided about 1 1/2 ft of wire attached to gauge...I was disapointed with that.

I read that some people just screw in an old o2 sensor for the welding...I do have one of those lying around.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is probably common sense, but be sure to pick a location while the pipe is on the car, in street trim. I bought a used X-pipe from a guy that had one of the O2 sensors rubbing my driveshaft loop... super annoying.

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
This is probably common sense, but be sure to pick a location while the pipe is on the car, in street trim. I bought a used X-pipe from a guy that had one of the O2 sensors rubbing my driveshaft loop... super annoying.

Yup...I marked it out while on the car. Oh shit...just ordered a driveshaft loop too. LOL.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup...I marked it out while on the car. Oh shit...just ordered a driveshaft loop too. LOL.
I hope it's not the BMR one... nothing but trouble for exhaust hanger clearance. Gotta take it off every time I swap out my midpipe (every 365th day, for state emissions testing).

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
I hope it's not the BMR one... nothing but trouble for exhaust hanger clearance. Gotta take it off every time I swap out my midpipe (every 365th day, for state emissions testing).

No...it's a Metco. Looks like a pretty slick set up...no drilling which I like. I had to change that damn pipe out on the fox for emissions all the time...pain in the ass. I went with a high flow H this time.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good deal. I use a Prochamber... can't get over how awesome they sound, worth a little extra effort. Plus my car is a known cat killer.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back