What next?

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, every time I get ready for a weekend of racing something happens, this weekend is no different. I have been getting the car ready in between baseball games (my son, not me) and was thinking this was the weekend for a new PB. I took a ride on Wednesday and felt everything was ready for Saturday. After about an hour of driving I notice that IAT's are going up. I pull into a gas station to figure out WTF and thought it was the bypass valve. Thursday I screw around with the bypass valve and realize that my intercooler pump is losing its prime. No big deal I plan to fix it on Friday and head to the track on Saturday.

I get home from a crappy day at work after stopping off at a wake for a friends brother and get to work. I changed the hose routing and feel pretty good that the problem is fixed. I get ready to take it for a test drive and see a shitload of water coming from under the engine compartment. I shut it down get the car in the air and look for leaks. At first I thought is was the EH2O pump but thankfully it is a hose that rubbed though pissing water/antifreeze all over the place. After stringing together an expletive rant I started taking stuff apart and have the car ready for reassembly once I get the hose. At that point the cleaning and drinking process started. I am happy to say both are successful but another fucking weekend will pass without me racing. I would like to blame someone for this but it is my dumbass that did secure the hose.

Anyone want to make a bet it rains next weekend?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
With 17 lbs of boost...........its a good thing it happened while driving around town and not at 130 mph. Sucks when shit goes awry. Maybe next weekend will have a better DA.

Whats your current PB?

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With 17 lbs of boost...........its a good thing it happened while driving around town and not at 130 mph. Sucks when shit goes awry. Maybe next weekend will have a better DA.

Whats your current PB?

Yes, you are right. 10.64@127 but I think I see 9 in the future.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
At least you will have all these issues worked out by the time the nice fall weather arrives, since this crazy hot weather right now is not condusive to making power.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. 10.64@127 but I think I see 9 in the future.

Lets get those times down. Ive got 10.53 @ 130 on 14psi.

diet? lol

joking

Glad it happened at hoem and not the track. I bought extra rubber hose and cut it down the middle and wrapped all the"problem areas" i could find so i wouldnt have an issue with it rubbing through. that and zip ties FTW lol

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lets get those times down. Ive got 10.53 @ 130 on 14psi.

diet? lol

joking

Glad it happened at hoem and not the track. I bought extra rubber hose and cut it down the middle and wrapped all the"problem areas" i could find so i wouldnt have an issue with it rubbing through. that and zip ties FTW lol

Both the car and the driver need a diet, that is for sure. Over winter I plan on taking some weight off, but for now I just want to get all the new stuff working. Ford was open on Saturday and they said I will have the hose on Tuesday. I will make sure this can never happen again.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
keep us posted!

Whats the car weigh right now?

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
10.71@128 1.8 60' 2800+ da

Ok, got the new hose from Ford and cleaned up the mess the old one made. The weather forecast all week was good until Friday which showed 40% chance of rain for Saturday. Woke up at 6 and it is raining like crazy, my luck. Looked at the radar and it looked like it would blow over so once it did I drove to the track. I was only able to get two runs in, my son's baseball comes first, but all the work I did on the intercooler pump and fuel system worked great. My FP duty cycle now peaks at 78% and runs in the 60's most of the run.

This is the second time I haven't been able to hook for shit and it is starting to piss me off. I used to be able to leave off the brake now I have to ease into the gas or it is spin city. I watched a lot of cars it seemed like the track prep or the conditions caused a lot of cars to spin. Next time I race the conditions will be better, if I don't hook it might be time to replace my MT DR's

BTW, the car weighs 3890 with me in it.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Just your luck Jamie, considering how dry we have been lately.

Are you planning to hit the CMC track day at Byron on 9/10?

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, got the new hose from Ford and cleaned up the mess the old one made. The weather forecast all week was good until Friday which showed 40% chance of rain for Saturday. Woke up at 6 and it is raining like crazy, my luck. Looked at the radar and it looked like it would blow over so once it did I drove to the track. I was only able to get two runs in, my son's baseball comes first, but all the work I did on the intercooler pump and fuel system worked great. My FP duty cycle now peaks at 78% and runs in the 60's most of the run.

This is the second time I haven't been able to hook for shit and it is starting to piss me off. I used to be able to leave off the brake now I have to ease into the gas or it is spin city. I watched a lot of cars it seemed like the track prep or the conditions caused a lot of cars to spin. Next time I race the conditions will be better, if I don't hook it might be time to replace my MT DR's

BTW, the car weighs 3890 with me in it.
time to get a tire with more sidewall

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just your luck Jamie, considering how dry we have been lately.

Are you planning to hit the CMC track day at Byron on 9/10?

Looking forward to it. BTW, if you need any work done now that Bob is gone check out Mr. Norms, you will not be disappointed.

time to get a tire with more sidewall

I am running the MT 295/55/15, 28 inch tall DR. I think my next tire might be the 325/45/15 but I am not happy with the way they stick out passed the fender. I guess I could get a second set of rear rims and put a slick on it but even a caveman can hook with slicks.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back