Why not punch me in the balls while your at it. (Clutch/ TOB problem!!!)

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I'm about to drive this car off Niagara Falls...I have put 200 miles on my car and never got on it until today. Today I did a quick 1st to 2nd gear pull and shut it down at 60mph. Please I need some help...

My problem:
The car will not shift or will be very hard to shift into gear when the car is on.
The car will shift into gear like butter when the car is off.
When I push it into 1st, it feels like a brick wall and will move slowly as I depress the clutch.
The car feels as if the slave cylinder isn't fully depressing.
The clutch has not slipped at all.

I have a Ram HDX Clutch Disc/Pressure plate and a stock Slave Cylinder and my transmission is a TR6060.

:helpme:

Last edited:

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
sounds like a hydraulic and/or clutch problem. if it shifts fine while the car isnt running then its not likely the transmission. friend of mine had to replace his stock slave already and he has an aftermarket clutch... id start there possible..

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before you drive the car off can you list your mods so I know what to ask for before it goes away?

j/k! Wish I could help but I am 5R555...if you need a name/number of a good mustang/tranny shop I recommend Rick's Car Care.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Before you drive the car off can you list your mods so I know what to ask for before it goes away?

j/k! Wish I could help but I am 5R555...if you need a name/number of a good mustang/tranny shop I recommend Rick's Car Care.

I already go to Rick and he does good work. But I can replace a clutch.

Is it possible that I somehow messed up the clutch disk because the 500 mile breakin? I have 200 miles on it and didn't have any troubles until today. I gave it about 3/4 throttle, and went from 1st to 2nd via granny shifting. I have never power shifted on this new clutch or dogged it at all. I always thought that if the clutch doesn't properly seat that it would slip where as I'm having the opposite problem.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll trade ya a 3650 for that 6060 lol, not sure the prob, sounds like the slave or tob as stated, then again i believe some of the 6060 swap guys have had problems with alot of the aftermarket clutches and theres a select few that work good im sure they will chime in.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I'll trade ya a 3650 for that 6060 lol, not sure the prob, sounds like the slave or tob as stated, then again i believe some of the 6060 swap guys have had problems with alot of the aftermarket clutches and theres a select few that work good im sure they will chime in.

Thats the thing. I listened to those people and they told me stock slave, w/Ram Clutch/Flywheel. Well I have a Ram HDX clutch, and Steel flywheel with the stock slave.

Anybody wanna go base jumping without a parachute with me?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Sounds like the slave. Had the same thing happen after I put a CF DF in. The centerforce pressure plate was too much for the stock slave. I ended up putting a McLeod RST twin disc in along with a new stock slave and friction ring for the flywheel. The McLeod is one of the best things I've done for my car. Stock pedal feel, lots of holding power.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the slave. Had the same thing happen after I put a CF DF in. The centerforce pressure plate was too much for the stock slave. I ended up putting a McLeod RST twin disc in along with a new stock slave and friction ring for the flywheel. The McLeod is one of the best things I've done for my car. Stock pedal feel, lots of holding power.

I was talking with a friend and I think this is the problem. I'm not sure if its the Pressure plate's fault. I have taken the slave out 2 times and I accidentally decompressed the slave on the last install.

I'm assuming that the car wouldn't go into any gear if the pressure plate was fubared, and the clutch would slip. Off to rockauto to get another slave hahaha....

Does anyone concur that it is most likely the slave?

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most slave cylinders that fail are leaking fluid. The extra pressure from aftermarket clutches that kills slaves, usually blows the seal out of them.

Is yours leaking?

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
same was happening with my Centerforce clutch, Installed the Ram Slave Cylinder and it fixed it. its also rebuildable. i installed it myself and dont think i would have a mechanic to do because 1. i am really picky, and 2. even after measuring everything out via instructions, i had to pull the tranny again to remove a spacer and that would have cost more than just my own time if it was at a shop.

i am very happy with it!

gtxpro2

forum member
Reaction score
This sounds like my stock mc leod clutch failure in my extreme. Switched to a Spec 2+ and haven't looked back. I am running a mc leod throw out bearing and it has proven to be awsome thus far, well other then the price.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Most slave cylinders that fail are leaking fluid. The extra pressure from aftermarket clutches that kills slaves, usually blows the seal out of them.

Is yours leaking?

Not that I can tell. from looking under the car. I haven't had a chance to get it in the air yet. I was hoping that by getting the base model Ram clutch that it wouldn't kill the stock TOB. Because I don't have the money to for the Mcleod I'm left with getting another stocker.

Do you think that the clutch will just end up killing another stock tob when I get it? Also, I was using the ACDELCO version. The TOB that is in the car was some other company that Rockauto supplies (their cheapest one though).

@JesseW.

So the stock TOB was the cause of your problems?

@QTXPro

When your clutch failed was it just the clutch? Where you able to put it into gear? The reason that I don't think its the clutch is because I haven't gone WOT yet so I haven't been beating on it. Which is why I think (hope) its the TOB.

Last edited:

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a Ram clutch/disk in his 08GT500 and in few words it made the transmission useless, it always had problems in the 1-2 hard shifts and he felt the clutch was hard as shit, he had to buy a new T-6060 and he bought a centerforce clutch and problem solved.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
my original tob wouldnt disengage the clutch, so i got a new one from ford and it didnt do any better. it was really hard to put in 1st and reverse when stopped, and impossible to shift between 1-2 and 2-3. i would press the lever in and the car would nose over and slow down it would then pop out of 1st into neutral, when the rpm's got below 2500 it would go into second. was very frustrating. the RAM tob solved the problem and now it shifts like its suppose to shift. i only have to flick my wrist when i depress the clutch lever and its in the next gear, at any rpm

gtxpro2

forum member
Reaction score
My issue was really too much hp for the Mc Leod disc saleen decided to use. Rated at 500 hp but they shimmed the pressure plate off the flywheel for a lighter pedal which also lessens clamping force. Go figure.

The Mc Leod throw out bearing is adjustable and is a really really high quality piece of material. It really sucks doing a clutch job in these cars in your garage due to ground clearence etc.

I would go back to ford and get a new OEM one if your just going to throw in a new throwout bearing. You might want to pull the pressure plate and see what the clutch surfaces look like if you can not determine the slave was the issue for failure.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
What location is your pedal disengaging and engaging at? If you are sitting still and push the clutch in and rev it up do you feel the pedal push back on you? What brand flywheel did you get? This could be a shimming problem or air in the lines.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
What location is your pedal disengaging and engaging at? If you are sitting still and push the clutch in and rev it up do you feel the pedal push back on you? What brand flywheel did you get? This could be a shimming problem or air in the lines.

If I put the pedal to the floor and hold the stick in 1st while lightly letting off the clutch the car will lurch forward a little bit. I haven't thought about shimming the pressure plate. How much should i shim the pressure plate? As far as air in the lines, I've bled the car twice by lifting the front left portion of the car up with the cap off and pumping the clutch pedal a lot. I'm at a loss here. Either way though, this slave cylinder has been out of the car 2 times and the torque of torque of the v8 as opposed to the v6 and doesn't like it haha.

When I drop the trans I'll be sure to examine the pressure plate and clutch disc. How much do you guys think I should start shimming the pressure plate because I've done that before?

I have a Ram steel flywheel and RAM HDX clutch

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back