Wideband bung install

DoctorQ

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a wideband setup (either Innovate LC-1 or PLX SM-AFR). Planning on staying NA, and only performance mod so far is a C&L Street CAI. Also plan on running with cats, so I'll leave 4 OEM O2 sensors as is (communicating w/ PCM) and will have a new bung welded in pre-cat. Right now, leaning to installing wideband O2 on driver's side, but wasn't sure if there's adequate room... if not, I'll put on passenger side. Question: anyone who has done this, do you HAVE to drop the H-pipe to weld in new pre-cat bung, or can a "knowledgeable" exhaust shop weld in new bung without dropping H-pipe? I'd like to install at either the 10 o-clock or 2 o-clock position, so wasn't sure if there was room to do this without pulling H. Thx.

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a wideband setup (either Innovate LC-1 or PLX SM-AFR). Planning on staying NA, and only performance mod so far is a C&L Street CAI. Also plan on running with cats, so I'll leave 4 OEM O2 sensors as is (communicating w/ PCM) and will have a new bung welded in pre-cat. Right now, leaning to installing wideband O2 on driver's side, but wasn't sure if there's adequate room... if not, I'll put on passenger side. Question: anyone who has done this, do you HAVE to drop the H-pipe to weld in new pre-cat bung, or can a "knowledgeable" exhaust shop weld in new bung without dropping H-pipe? I'd like to install at either the 10 o-clock or 2 o-clock position, so wasn't sure if there was room to do this without pulling H. Thx.

no need to drop the mid pipe.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Any good shop should be able to make the hole and weld the bung in.
BTW, I'm using the PLX SM-AFR with a digital VEI WB a/f gauge (see sig).

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
A couple things to keep in mind, especially with digital gauges:
- can you vary the brightness by turning on/off the car lights? You do NOT want it ultra bright at night, as the very bright display can be distracting to you as a driver and interfere with night vision.
- does the guage have the features you want/need, including ability to adjust response time (noise filtering), and any other useful options
- do you want just numeric readout or do you like the snazzy bar graph to the side or on top?

Regarding the O2 sensor: is the system self-calibrating, or do you have to 'open-air' calibrate the sensor every so often?

One of the key reasons I wnt with the digital gauges I have is because it supports dual brightness levels, one for daytime, one for night. The color was more of a personal choice to match the car, as red and maybe green or yelloy LED digits were also available instead of the blue I got.

I think I paid around $235 total for my plx wideband plus digital gauge, but got them separately.

(DoctorQ, PM reply sent)

mygt500

Stangpede Co-Captain Michigan Chapter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read that it should be installed on the passenger side? Better at showing (or catching) a lean condition based on firing order? Just what I read on a different forum.....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back