Wiring guru's step in PLEASE!

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Ok so when I did the bumpers we had a buddy of my dads wire up the factory hids as I was in San Antonio and the car was in Tulsa...Everything worked fine once I got it then it started only firing one headlamp found that if I wiggled the harness/clusterfuck of wires the other lamp would come on...Happend maybe 1 out of 10 times then progressively got worse to now neither come on at all no matter what I do...So I fugured I would tear apart the wiring and see what I could find thinking it was just a simple bad ground or something...of course with my luck this is what I found! I cant find out what these two wire that are burnt up are anyone know by chance???

68692876.jpg

4c26011c.jpg

5bb1396f.jpg
81a52e63.jpg

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
according to lito they are light green/yellow is low speed and light green violet is high speed. WTF would cause those to do this?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Beat me to it, was gonna say looks like high and low speed fan wires.

The stock fan pulls alot of amps which means heat, I have seen them burn before. Having the turbo and piping there im sure adds some heat to the fan motor as well. What temp t-stat and what is your high speed fan set to come on and does it cycle on or run alot?

Last edited:

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
WTF man its always gotta be something!!! and I hate wiring shit too...wtf

I just wonder if this is related to the hids not working?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, its not that bad thats an easy fix, can even take the opportunity to run a thicker gauge wire my 3600 cfm ffd fan has 10 gauge running to it. ;)

Doubt it, usually flickering intermitent hids is a bad wiring/ground or ballast going bad. That said, I know my hids act up if they run for long without the car running and will shut off or flicker until I start the car and let it idle, could be a sign of the alternator going as well. (both these issues)

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
I just replaced the alternator...thing with the hids are they will still work every now and again or atleast one of them will...the relays in the photo are from the hid harness looks like soemthing is getting hot there as well right?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The hid relays look like they have been getting wet and shorting.

Last edited:

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
So maybe the relays are toast and are causing all this eh? Gonna replace the relays tomm if I can get some from the stealer ship and check all the grounds

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Beat me to it, was gonna say looks like high and low speed fan wires.

The stock fan pulls alot of amps which means heat, I have seen them burn before. Having the turbo and piping there im sure adds some heat to the fan motor as well. What temp t-stat and what is your high speed fan set to come on and does it cycle on or run alot?
Im running the reische perfomance 170 T-stat and he set up my fan setting but will verify they are still set up correctly with him tomm.. gonna have him come help me with this wiring bull shit lol he is a smart mofo when it comes to wiring so i always call him when shit hits the fan

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Fuck my life...Easy fix my ass the damn plastic housing for the terminals is toast and the new terminals just twist all around and have no idea if they are even connection to the pins...such a cluster fuck. How can i test the fans to be sure they are working?

Also the headlights are working now with the car off then i go to start the car and i can hear them start clicking and im back to only one of the headlights working...wtf!

Fan settings are low=196 high=206 BTW

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A litte bit of movement in the holder is not a big deal as long as the pin is making contact and stays in place. Sart the car and turn the ac on full blast, high speed fan will come on shortly after.

As for the hids sounds like a gremlin still, if you have a multimeter you can check for power out of the relay before and after you start the car to find out whats going on.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
LOL the ac is not working at the moment either haha I think o reily gave me the wrong relay for the hid's oem relay is a 5 pin the ones they gave me were 4 pin

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Essentialy the relay is the same you can use a 5 pin for a 4 pin application as long as the amp rating is the same or better.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Well hell ya got the car started today changed the fan settings to 186 and 190 and fan came on at 186 so I guess it's working I will continue to monitor my coolant temp and check the wires in a week or two to be sure it's not melting again... As for the headlights swapped out the 4 pin relay and put in the correct 5 pin and wa la both lamps turned on so so far everything's looks good!

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
I just hope this is the end of burnt up wires lol and hoping the highspeed works.!!!! I was really worried that it wasn't going to get a good connection from how loose the connectors were in the melted box...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back