06 Timing dropout

HomerLee

Reaction score
I just swapped out engine to lower mileage engine with cams and bigger CAI.
I then had it tuned [SCT / dyno] and for some reason the phasers drop back to 0 timing at 5300 rpm's
Even when commanded manually there is no change so it shouldn't be computer related.
Any ideas??

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I then had it tuned [SCT / dyno]
Since I was tagged here, this part of OP's post intuitively tells me that the next move should be to get w\ the person who tuned it to recheck the calibration (unless you actually did the tuning yourself..........which from your posting is inferring that someone else did it)..........

So, if I'm reading & inferring your post correctly, you posted that the phasers (I'm inferring that you mean BOTH B1 & B2 cam phasers) are advancing from a retarded position back to VCT 0* around 5300 RPM's......correct?

Would suggest some clarification here......................

Since you didn't post that the engine is shaking when running then this tells me that both bank's cam phasers are in phase (cam sensor signals are in synch w\ the crank sensor signal) w\ the crankshaft so the VCT solenoids are indicating to me to be somewhat operational (as long as there's 12v+ power to them & the ECU has control.........VCT solenoids will bleed off EOP & the cam phasers will advance using their return spring tension back to VCT 0* if power is dropped either at the BEC on a blown fuse, ECU has lost control.......by open ground circuit to ECU or inside ECU--these are PWM controlled so ECU pulls a ground to operate the VCT solenoids, or ECU has control & VCT solenoids are being commanded by ECU OS thru tune calibration to advance the cam phasers back to VCT 0* around 5300 RPM's for some reason......which is possible thus why the tune calibration will also need to be checked if all mechanical options check out as good) along w\ both bank's cam phaser tone rings thus the cam phasers themselves seem to likely be Ok (from this side of the screen........I can only speculate off the words typed).

None of this can\should be assumed..............all needs to be properly diagnosed\checked out to verify operation or not.

Since you also posted that "Even when commanded manually.............", please clarify this statement as well. The only "manual command" I know of is thru using an OE level type of scan tool (like Ford IDS or Auto Ingenuity that has bi-directional control thru the ECU & a VCT manual test module programmed to do manual testing of the VCT system) ..........

If you can, help us to be able for us to help you..........................

Last edited:

CrashDevine

Reaction score
From what I’m told by the tuner, the timing is good till 5300 then drops to 0. I assume he has the tools to command cam timing since it is what was stated to me, he works / tunes mainly mustangs. His thoughts were solenoids but to have both operate the same way/ time, not so sure. Thanks for responding!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back