18" polished wheels with the white lines all over in the clear coat, any quick fix?

Spence340

Reaction score
I have seen people mention the problem on the clear coat of the aluminum wheels and they all include a lot of sanding buffing and clear coat re-spraying. I have very light lines running all over the wheel and they don't look too bad from a distance but up close not so nice. Before I get into a big project, I thought I would check to see if someone has a miracle cure.

Spence340

Reaction score
Yeah, one of these days I will figure out how to put pics up here. It is very fine lines of what I am guessing is some kind of corrosion if not under the clear certainly in the clear. When I look on line for Mustang wheels you see a lot wheels with this problem, some worse then others.

DieHarder

Reaction score
I have seen people mention the problem on the clear coat of the aluminum wheels and they all include a lot of sanding buffing and clear coat re-spraying. I have very light lines running all over the wheel and they don't look too bad from a distance but up close not so nice. Before I get into a big project, I thought I would check to see if someone has a miracle cure.
Yeah, new wheels. :snoopy

Second option - sandblast/bead blast w/plastic; polish and clear coat.

Third option - If the wheels can be turned - cut a small amount from the surface and clear coat.

All 3 options are viable - how much do you want to spend?

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I thought my wheels were clear coat, and the white lines and spider webbing drove me nuts. Polishing didn't make it better.

Chrome Rustoleum spray paint is a really good match. I just happened to have some in the garage, and I tried it on an empty beer can. The sprayed can matched my rims.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back