2006 Mustang GT Manual Trans - Gears/shifting Issues

Rokkaholik

Reaction score
Well.... my bad luck with "New-To-Me" cars continues... (long story there)
The last 2-3 days it was hard to find 3rd gear. Like the slot for the shifter to go into wasn't there. After futzing a few times I finally would get it to go.
Earlier today, I unplugged the wire to a fuel injector to see if it had a part number. Plugged it back in and the car ran like crap right after that. It was backfiring and missing. I pulled over and made sure there was a definite CLICK and there was, but it's still sputtering at times....
Then.....
On the drive home, I shifted at a stop light from first to where 2nd was "supposed" to be and nothing. No click or anything. I did find 3rd, but no 4th... Something felt WAY off with the shifter. Complete slop. The only way I can explain it is that I know there's a pattern to the gears, but nothing was there. I was able to eventually force 1st at a stop light to get going and then eventually found 5th (after some wiggling and finaggling) to be able to drive home. If I pull back slightly to where 2nd and 4th are supposed to be, I can hear some grinding, but I didn't want to force it.
I don't know if it's something stupid/minor or if the whole trans is trash now...

I see Remanufactured/ rebuilt ones online for anywhere from $1500 to $4000. Any recommended places or ones to avoid?

brasil

Reaction score
The first thing..that I would do.. is to check the shifter linkage. your issue looks like a shifter linkage issue.

Rokkaholik

Reaction score
I just went down to check on the car. The shifter is complete slap and I can lift it up and slam it down inside the car so it feels like it's not even connected to the transmission

MrBhp

Reaction score
Make sure the handle is still attached to the lower part of the shifter. Had the exact thing happen to me. One of the bolts came out, the other was loose.

Rokkaholik

Reaction score
My mechanic just called me this morning and confirmed that both bushings on the shifter were toast. That would explain the sloppy shifting for the last couple days and then it completely going out

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I would go with urethane bushings if you can, they really tighten up the shifter over stock on the '06. Pretty cheap too.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I did this shifter mod, bronze bushings and poly mount bushings -
+1....................

If you want to remove all the shifter slop you can from this design of remote shifter (doesn't matter if it is the stock remote shifter or any of the aftermarket shifters.......period), you really NEED to also replace ALL of the OEM plastic bushings on the remote shifter linkage assembly that attaches the remote shifter handle to the TR3650 trans shifter rail w\ the AMP TR3650 Bronze Bushing kit shown in video in prior posting along w\ any of the poly shifter mounting bushings to ensure that the remote shifter handle swing will properly align to the TR3650's internal gear shift gates so you don't run into the shifter "hanging up" due to the excessive slop that WILL develop due to these plastic shifter linkage bushings wearing out\getting pressed out of form thus causing the shifter handle to become misaligned to the trans internal gear shift gates (what the shifter can be hanging up on when trying to shift into gears that you'll need to cross the internal gear shift gates to get to).......especially the 1 bushing in particular that resides inside of the shifter linkage assembly that is pinned directly to the TR3650's remote internal gear shift rail (plastic bushing slop is the main reason why this linkage pin bolt gets worn\broken).

Amazon sells this kit (where I bought mine at.........also sells a similar kit for the TR6060 remote shifter as well) & is w\o doubt some of the best money you can spend to improve this TR3650's shifting quality........hands down IMHO.

5+ yrs running to date w\o issue.........

Installed my set initially w\ the OEM stock shifter, then transferred them to the Barton ST Shifter I installed afterwards, then transferred them to the currently installed MGW ST Shifter (all are designed to the OEM shifter bushing dimensions thus will fit any remote shifter designed to fit this TR3650 external remote shift rail combination).

Installation tip.............I recommend using a PTFE-type of grease to lube these bushings when installing them........this type of grease will stay put & due to its silicone base will not "dry out"\cake up & is moisture resistant thus protects the bronze bushings from corrosion\oxidation as well as keeping the trans rail pin bolt from getting stuck in the trans shifter rail hole from trash\corrosion\oxidation (apply this grease to this pin bolt when reinstalling it).

Hope this helps those who may be interested...............

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back