2006 Mustang GT when car is cold or hot idling it holds 50 lb of oil pressure when you give it a little throttle it will drop 4 lb and then 65

freez

Reaction score
I don't understand this stuff 2006 Mustang GT when car is cold or hot it'll have 50 lb of oil pressure when I go to accelerate the oil pressure will drop about 4 lb and then pick back up to 65

DieHarder

Reaction score
Are you running aftermarket gauges? In my case my oil pressure gauge will run ~75 lbs cold and then down to around 30 lbs warm. My gauge also tends to jump around some but not that low. Maybe something with the gauge or sensor. You might try replacing the sensor/gauge if it keeps up. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it unless it stays low.

V8Demon

Reaction score
It SHOULD peg at 75 PSI on a cold start. The threaded section that your oil filter goes into is not welded as in some other Ford applications. It CAN back out. The inner portion is a large hex head so it is easy to re-tighten properly. Check that out. I had it happen once and now ensure that I check it with each oil change.

Hopefully it's something this simple.

Good luck.

AHaze

Reaction score
Something is screwy. 50 psi at cold idle is low which could indicate an internal leak or worn bearings but that same 50 psi hot is abnormally high so that would seem to eliminate those as potential issues. I would start with trying another gauge.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this stuff 2006 Mustang GT when car is cold or hot it'll have 50 lb of oil pressure when I go to accelerate the oil pressure will drop about 4 lb and then pick back up to 65
to clarify, the pressure drops from 50 to 46 ("drop 4 lb") not to 4 psi

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's possible that the pressure relief valve in your georotor oil pump is relieving pressure. I would ask if you use the specified oil weight? Using a higher viscosity oil will/can result in the pressure relief valve opening and starving your motor of oil for a brief period of time.

It's my best guess. Good luck.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Earth calling Mars, come in Mars! :D

Seems like these one hit posts are becoming more common….

AI or moron trolls?

Three months have passed since his original post so he's either disappeared or his engine's blown up. :p

Back