2011 front brake caliper won’t compress all the way to get over new pads.

Spence340

Reaction score
Doing front brakes on 2011 V6 and everything was going well until piston stopped returning after several turns inward. It went in and stopped with about 1/8” or so of piston showing and definitely won’t fit over the new pads. Tried clamping it to pull it in but no luck and I also opened the bleeder and took the cap off the master cylinder hoping to release the pressure. Any else I should be doing?

GriffX

Reaction score
This is a two piston caliper? Try to compress them individually.

Spence340

Reaction score
Sorry, I spaced out, I was doing rear brakes not front and I did crack the bleeder. Someone on YouTube said to just keep turning it in and it will go but I was pushing with the tool and turned and turned but it only goes so far.

DieHarder

Reaction score
For a Rear Brake Pad service: One thing to pay attention to is the alignment of the piston and brake pads. There's a nub on the pads that fit into the piston when aligned properly. I believe the orientation is N/S. You shouldn't have to have it all of the way in for it to fit properly. Extreme case go get a rebuilt unit and and give them yours if there is a core charge. Should be around $40. Here's a simple 4 min UTube on it. Good luck.

GriffX

Reaction score
I wasn't able to compress the rear piston without this tool, but if you still not able to do it, there could be corrosion on the piston.Take a look at the dust boot if it is ok.
(Some tip if you ever change the brake hose: Don't throw the old hose away, cut it in half put some glue inside and use it as an end cap if you remove the caliper)

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Losen the park brake cable under the console.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back