4.10 Gear pattern check

S197Webb

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post and my first axle rebuild!
I’m currently in the process of building the 8.8 with 4.10 gears and a truetrac. I’ve finally got the pattern as best as I can get it at least I hope. I’m wanting to know thoughts on this pattern. Does it look acceptable?

I’ll probably be installing it within the next week.

The pinion shim currently used for this pattern is .021”

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post and my first axle rebuild!
I’m currently in the process of building the 8.8 with 4.10 gears and a truetrac. I’ve finally got the pattern as best as I can get it at least I hope. I’m wanting to know thoughts on this pattern. Does it look acceptable?

I’ll probably be installing it within the next week.

The pinion shim currently used for this pattern is .021”

View attachment 99050

View attachment 99051

View attachment 99052

View attachment 99053
Welcome to the forums & good job, S197Webb!

:beer:

S197Webb

Reaction score
Thank you guys!! I pressed that pinion bearing on and off like 10 times trying to find the perfect pattern. I actually changed the pinion shim to .023" because it looked a little better and my backlash is .008" to .010" I took the measurement in 4 different spots. I started driving it Friday and so far it drives quietly. Also here’s a pic of what the .023” looks like for anyone curious

IMG_2631.jpeg

S197Webb

Reaction score
I wanted to drive it more so I could have a good answer to your question since it's still pretty new to me. So far I haven't noticed a big difference although I've been driving slowly to try and let the gears break in a bit. I decided to get the truetrac cause I figured while I have it disassembled might as well upgrade the diff. I liked the fact that it requires less maintenance since there's no clutch packs to replace. Also since it's my daily driver the truetrac was a good option for me. I’ll have to get back to you though after some spirited acceleration!

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I just rebuilt the IRS in my coyote swapped SN95. Went from the cobra diff to a truetrac.

Everything went smooth and it works great on slicks at the track. Hooks up awesome and power delivery is perfect side to side.

The only complaint is, under certain conditions like light throttle coasting then hit the pedal and back off the pedal, it sometimes sounds clunky. But that’s very specific situations. Other than that, it’s perfect.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
Other option I was looking at was the wavetrack, but it's way more expensive and seems to be more temperamental. The stock-style LSD has been fine on street, road and strip so far, but I wanted to try a truetrac which said to be a 'step up.'

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
One thing you might consider is if you are going to subject the TrueTrac too hard launches, go for the one with 4 helical gears on each side.
I am running the TrueTrac with 3 helical gears on each side because it works with 31 spline axles I already have. I been hitting that carrier pretty hard on launch and keep finding glitter in the lube. On inspection I found the miter gears on each side are gauling in the pocket they set in. I will probably go to the old, noisy Detroit locker.

Autokyrios

Reaction score
I can't complain about the stock (well it's stock for a GT500 year end) LSD as it's performed flawlessly through hundreds of strip runs and such. Almost feel bad about replacing it but I want to try something different. Probably has 70k miles on it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back