4 Door Mustang?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Mach E is a 4-door.

I agree about the Cougar but I love the 71-73 Mach 1. The later Mustangs 1974-1978 were one of the worst looking and performing mustangs ever.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Mach E is a 4-door.

I agree about the Cougar but I love the 71-73 Mach 1. The later Mustangs 1974-1978 were one of the worst looking and performing mustangs ever.
Screenshot_20240816_172726_Messages.jpg

MrBhp

Reaction score
Great. The 2 door looks like a camaro. The 4 door looks like a charger.

Motivology

Reaction score
Not totally against it, but wouldn’t call it a Mustang. Call it something else.

I thought this wouldn’t be true or even close to a reality because of the Fusion. But I just realized they stopped selling that after 2020. I wonder why, I had one and it was a great sedan.

So… I guess it’s a possibility, as they do not have a sedan in their current line up. :hmm:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sedans are dead. Replaced by utility sport wagon things.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If sedans are dead, then why are they still popular with foreign car manufacturers? The fusion was a great sedan. I owned 2 of them. Best sedan I’ve owned was the Taurus SHO.
Different culture in Europe. Smaller cars are the norm, fuel economy is more of a priority. USA is 'truck' country. Pickups and SUV's rule the landscape. Fuel economy be dammed... lol

drwells42

Reaction score
Not totally against it, but wouldn’t call it a Mustang. Call it something else.

I thought this wouldn’t be true or even close to a reality because of the Fusion. But I just realized they stopped selling that after 2020. I wonder why, I had one and it was a great sedan.

So… I guess it’s a possibility, as they do not have a sedan in their current line up. :hmm:

I largely agree that it should be called something else, (Ford Torino, maybe??) but the idea of a 4-door Mustang is an old one. Take a look at this old clay model from 1963.

DRW

34943787922_c44b03e273_b.jpg

Motivology

Reaction score
I largely agree that it should be called something else, (Ford Torino, maybe??) but the idea of a 4-door Mustang is an old one. Take a look at this old clay model from 1963.

DRW

View attachment 99075

I don’t know what it should be called, but definitely something else. Yeah, I remember hearing about a 4-door Mustang before… just never seen it made past concept into production. If they are actually serious about it… they better call it something else. I think this could work because Ford doesn’t have a sedan in their line up right now (to my surprise)… but it depends if there’s enough demand for it.

-DK

AHaze

Reaction score
The current coupe/convertible is already a bloated caricature of what a Mustang should be so sure, why not double down with a sedan version?
IMHO, YMMV, EIEIO of course.

drwells42

Reaction score
Mach E is a 4-door.

I will do something out of character, and come to the defense of the Mustang II. I have long been a critic, as it was far too heavy for a "small" car, and Ford had some better, lighter chassis in production.

But: Overall the styling was about right. It nicely echoed the earlier Mustangs. It also had rack and pinion steering, which the Mustang desperately needed. The overall size was about right for the times, and it arrived on the market just in time for the first Energy Crisis.

Yes, it was under-powered, but so was just about everything in the mid 1970s. Between the primitive emissions controls of the day and the then-new CAFE standards, it was pretty difficult to make any power.

The Mustang II also sold well.

So, yeah, it was small, heavy for its size and not a great performer. Build quality was also a bit questionable. But it was hardly a complete failure. It was a product of its time.

DRW

JC SSP

Reaction score
I am OK with personal preference… but that era produced some crappy cars and unfortunately Ford and others (Cobra ll, 442, Z28, etc) fell into that trap of decals, extreme emission controls and low performance engines (302 with a 2 barrel carb).

Now some beautiful cars were also produced in the late 70’s which to this day still draw attention and have achieved collector status.

A 1977 black and gold Pontiac Trans Am 6.6L 400 4spd is a bad ass car!

Gladams

Reaction score
The 78 mustang ll was are first Stang we owned. White with the reddish orange stripes. Got my first ticket with that car. Nice car and no it was not fast,but fast enough for a ticket

Samos3

Reaction score
I am OK with personal preference… but that era produced some crappy cars and unfortunately Ford and others (Cobra ll, 442, Z28, etc) fell into that trap of decals, extreme emission controls and low performance engines (302 with a 2 barrel carb).

Now some beautiful cars were also produced in the late 70’s which to this day still draw attention and have achieved collector status.

A 1977 black and gold Pontiac Trans Am 6.6L 400 4spd is a bad ass car!
Eh, you lost me with the last line....I think that generation of Camaro/Firebird peaked in 72.

The Mustang ll needed to be scaled up to look right. A little longer/wider and decent sized wheels.
Or just buy an XC Falcon Cobra....well, maybe it's too big....

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back