Any reason to replace spark plugs if the car runs fine? Just hit 100k.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Just want to say all y'all rock! I had been running .041 gap b/c I didn't know better. I found in the owner's manual today:
1724518193092.png
I'm finna open up the gap this afternoon.

So, thanks!!

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Wait.... The 09 manual says
1724520106337.png
My car is a late 08 with the brown coil boots. What does the brain trust think?

DieHarder

Reaction score
At .041 you're fine either way (assuming v8). And brown coil boots means you have later plugs so less problems there. Only other thing I'd recommend is buying new OEM COPS. At 16 yrs they're due for a refresh.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Thanks. I installed new COPs a couple years ago when I had a misfire.

If it's not going to cause a problem, I'd like to open them up a little just so I'd get a tiny bit better mileage. I noticed the 2010 owner's manual also says .039 - .043.

Darren Kirby

Reaction score
I have a 2009 and just replaced my NGK 5507 from rock auto one piece plugs as said cold engine release fluid and leave for half hour and then should be fine. Plugs came as .44 gap which I checked with feelers and were spot on

Autokyrios

Reaction score
Yeah I find using a torque wrench to limit how hard I'm yanking on them can help, especially with old plugs in aluminum. Soon as they budge, even just a tiny little bit, stop, add some penetrating fluid, then let sit for a bit. Don't get excited that it finally popped (if you have a stuck one) and go trying to unscrew it all the way. It may only be partially unstuck and you'll gall the crap out of it.

Oh, and if you really want to get crazy...line up all your NEW plugs and do a resistance test across them. All the numbers should be about the same, but you may come across some that are off. Will they run? Yeah. But I throw them back and get new ones.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back