Anyone narrowed your rear end?

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pro's - Con's??Was thinking about trying it becouse I bought the wrong offset for my wheels..

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Don't think you will get any benefits from it. You usually narrow the rear to fit the big slicks under the car when you tub it out or mini tub it. You would have to cut your axles, and the axle housing tubes which seems like more work than it is worth for getting the wrong offset. I'd try to sell them and get the right ones.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I started looking into it when I had the incorrect rims. If I remember correctly, a built rear end would have been about the same or cheaper.

spyder7724

Reaction score
i've actually been looking at mine thinking about putting a fox body rear in it. they are about 6" shorter and the brakes wouldn't require spacers. the UCA would have to be fabricated but thats not a big deal. i would imagine currie or moser will sell the new brackets for the LCA's as they do for the fox body cars. but with all that work i'm thinking it would be just as easy to tub it cut the floor out from the firewall back and make a chassis thats stronger and lighter and allows a huge tire if needed. if i decide to just put a fox body 8.8 in it i'll most likely ditch the stock suspension and go with a set of the jegster s/s bars. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_744132_-1_10083
that way i don't have to relocate the gas tank or make a rear crossmember.
oh and they are streetable by removing one bolt.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just make Joe pay for it. Hell, he drives it more than you do anyway!

V

VSOP

Its one of the things I have been thinking about as well. I'm thinking of doing the 9" end caps on the 8.8 or even going with the 9" rear. But I wanted to get enough room to fit a 325 rear tire under the car. I need to see how much work would be required on the body to make it fit.

I know BMR did some work on the 9" they put in there drag car to fit bigger rims/tires and was able to still use the stock mounting locations. I think they were able to get 1/2" to 3/4" on each side

EDIT: Looked at the BMR Site for the write up and looks like they had to do some seriouse work on teh frame rail to fit the 315 DR on the car. Seems the Shock also gets in the way of such a wide 15" tire.

Last edited by a moderator:

DynoJoe

cleaning out your closet
Reaction score
Just make Joe pay for it. Hell, he drives it more than you do anyway!

No sir, I don't drive it that much anymore. Shawn is getting used to it and seems to be getting a bit better.

AS for the rear end narrowing, Think of the cost to narrow it, New Axles, and all the labor involved to do it. It's cheaper to buy the correct rims and be done with it!

V

VSOP

yea.. Unless you were upgrading the axles at the same time..
I would only do it if I go the 9" end cap route with the 8.8 as we would have to be cutting and welding anyway.. lol

silverGTvert

Boobie inspector
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dont you narrow your rear end by going to the gym? :beerdrink:

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My only cost involved is the axles.... I will be able to put a larger tire inside the wheel wells. Even the bogarts stick out a 1/2".
Ill let yall know how it goes.
Im going to narrow it 1 3/4" per side. The 28" tall tires & rims will fit nicely.

Joe thanks for the compliment, I think it was a compliment??
Burnout's need improving..

V

VSOP

Make sure you take some good pics..
If it works out well I might just have it done with the 9" end caps and new axles/locker is installed.

It should also allow for a true 15x10" rim to fit..

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Make sure you take some good pics..
If it works out well I might just have it done with the 9" end caps and new axles/locker is installed.

It should also allow for a true 15x10" rim to fit..

VSOP- We are putting the 9" ends, new axles of course & to fit even a bigger tire, we are looking at notching the frame rails also.

My only reason for doing this is to put a larger tire & to make it look right. Yo cant put a 15X10 on these cars without them sticking out. When I used Cekims wheels, yes they looked great but the stuck out 1/2". I really want the top of the tire to have the tucked look...

Will keep you posted.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 325's on mine. Narrowing the rearend is a fairly big task. You'll have to relocate the LCA's and shocks as well as take some time with the geometry changes. With the 325's, it rubs the front and rear a bit as well as that support in the inner fender directly above the axle housing. Easily fixed with some banging:) The 2 main things that prevented me from shortening the rearend was 1. The Bogart's will no longer fit. 2. Totally eliminates me from running in any "stock suspension" classes. Might as well fully tub the rear and go 4 link at that point.

06TorchVertGT

Reaction score
I have 325's on mine. Narrowing the rearend is a fairly big task. You'll have to relocate the LCA's and shocks as well as take some time with the geometry changes. With the 325's, it rubs the front and rear a bit as well as that support in the inner fender directly above the axle housing. Easily fixed with some banging:) The 2 main things that prevented me from shortening the rearend was 1. The Bogart's will no longer fit. 2. Totally eliminates me from running in any "stock suspension" classes. Might as well fully tub the rear and go 4 link at that point.
Dave,
Are you running MT's or M&H or neither? I just ordered the M&H 325/45R17 because several folks said they fit (even saw pics). I'll be pissed if I have to take out the BFH to run them!

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

David,

I appreciate your input. We have found a way to shave 1"3/4 per side without changing the geometry - using ford 9" ends & wilwood brakes, its not done yet so im not quite out of the woods yet.
If it dont work 4 link baby!!
Take care & talk soon...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bahaaaaaaaa.LOL
clearance? I don' need no stinkin' clearance...

Isn't "rubb'n" part of "race'n"?

Not a big deal with 26" tires - but lowered with 28" presents some problems depending on your setup - I know nothing of the 325's

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Dave,
Are you running MT's or M&H or neither? I just ordered the M&H 325/45R17 because several folks said they fit (even saw pics). I'll be pissed if I have to take out the BFH to run them!
I have them on my car right now, and they fit awesome. They aren't as wide as my 275 Nittos were, but a little taller. I'm not lowered, but I can't see where they would be an issue (as long as the wheels have the correct offset, i.e., ~45mm).

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
M/T's here.

You are correct, there is a little you can take off each side. Not worth it in my book. Besides, the M/T 325's rub a little on the shocks when you unload the suspension 1/2 way.
I was looking to go to a standard sized wheel instead of 05 specific wheels. Weight reduction is a big thing here too, but not a whole lot with <2" a side.
A BFH works well! It's not like you can see it with them meats filling the well!

06TorchVertGT

Reaction score
Well they look narrower than I thought so hopefully I'll be OK. Mine is on the stock springs so the additional 1" diameter shouldn't be an issue - will know hopefully tomorrow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back